Rochette to skip figure skating nationals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rochette to skip figure skating nationals

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Joannie is crazy. This year would have been her best ever chance to win Worlds and she isnt even trying for it.

herios

Medalist
Does anybody know when do the skaters sign the contract with SOI? She could have signed it before it was obvious Mao is struggling and the ladies field is completely opened?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Does anybody know when do the skaters sign the contract with SOI? She could have signed it before it was obvious Mao is struggling and the ladies field is completely opened?

I'm not sure about SOI but I am sure that Joannie didn't make her decision based on Mao's ability. At least I hope not. She's never struck me as a hedge her bets kinda skater... She seems a bit tougher than that! One consideration I forgot about is Canadian Nationals... wow. Talk about a rebuilding year for this federation...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Doesn't mean much if one is not motivated enough, though.

+1

Considering what she went through at the end of last season, I say give the girl a break. SOI keeps her in skating, but she gets to do other things as well. If this is her moving on, I support her. She accomplished so much more than just medals last year. It had to have been emotionally draining. I wouldn't have been motivated to continue that night much less a half year later.

Layfan

Record Breaker
+1

Considering what she went through at the end of last season, I say give the girl a break. SOI keeps her in skating, but she gets to do other things as well. If this is her moving on, I support her. She accomplished so much more than just medals last year. It had to have been emotionally draining. I wouldn't have been motivated to continue that night much less a half year later.

I think for Joannie her bronze medal was about as good as gold. :thumbsup: She has earned the right to enjoy her hard-earned fame and celebrity if that is what she wants.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
+1

True Dat .... But you know how hard it is for fans to let the dream go.... I'm so impressed with Joannie and how she's managed to stay so grounded and strong. Remarkable young woman, that one is...

wallylutz

Medalist
True Dat .... But you know how hard it is for fans to let the dream go.... I'm so impressed with Joannie and how she's managed to stay so grounded and strong. Remarkable young woman, that one is...

She did compete once this season at Japan Open and beat Miki Ando, the current GP Leader and Mao, the World Champion. So I think that's why many people think she has a good chance of claiming the World title this year since no body knows what kind of Yu Na will show up without any competition at all in 13 months and history suggests the likelihood of bombing being pretty high despite her most ardent supporters' belief in miracles.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I say give the lady a break, her mother died during the Olympics, and she hasn't had time to properly grieve imho. Enjoy all the opportunities coming her way now, and if she wants she can always come back for another Worlds (there will be two more before the next Olympics in 2014). And she can always come back for another Olympics as well, especially since there do not appear to be any Canadian ladies to block her way if she wants to come back. :)

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JOANNIE, ENJOY L-I-F-E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party:

I