Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Could Lysacek repeat as Olympic Champion?

Banned

Could Lysacek repeat as Olympic Champion?

If Evan returns to competitive skating what are his chances of defending his Olympic title in 2014. I personally think he would have a great chance and probably be the skater to beat. This would make him the first skater since Dick Button to manage the feat.

Custom Title
    You are so funny. Well, bring it on.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    You are so funny. Well, bring it on.
    How many times has Evan proven his critics wrong. People laughed at the idea of him even ever winning Worlds only 2 years ago. After his World bronze in 2005 most said it was a huge fluke, yet he nearly medals at the Olympics (even with bombing the SP) and medals at the next Worlds. After being 3rd at Nationals in 2009 everyone laughed at the idea of him even winning another medal of any color at Worlds ever again. And if all Evan has to beat is Chan with 5 falls, since apparently nobody else today can, then he might actually have it pretty easy to win if things stay like they are now.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Worst thread I've ever seen in my life.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    If Evan returns to competitive skating what are his chances of defending his Olympic title in 2014. I personally think he would have a great chance and probably be the skater to beat. This would make him the first skater since Dick Button to manage the feat.
    Taking it seriously.

No, I don't think it is plausible.

a) The recent revamp in rules was due to a quadless champion. Given that he's lost the quad, what are the odds of him actually getting one back for Sochi? And what are the odds of a quadless champion? The new rules in place for Vancouver means that Plushenko is the two time OGM, fwiw.

b) This presumes that the current field doesn't improve beyond what we're seeing now: that Chan doesn't gain (regain?) a level of consistency in international competition. Returns are rare, and rarely successful. Plushenko's was successful for a number of reasons, not least of which was the dearth of depth in Russian men. The USA doesn't have that lack.

c) Lysacek won over a mediocre competition. His Worlds victory was clear and deserving, but I think you've given him a reputation for dominance he simply doesn't have.

Custom Title
    pangtongfan, you're just trolling at this point, aren't you?

On a more serious note, Lysacek came to win his Olympic gold only in a perfect storm of certain circumstances: his rivals were mostly either too injured and/or washed up by the time the Olympics rolled around, and the younger generation were just coming onto the scene and not quite ready yet.

Even so, Lysacek only won by a measly point or so despite having the competition to him practically delivered on a platter.

In fact, I think Plushenko, despite his current ineligibility and the fact that he'll be ancient by 2014, will have more of a chance to win the 2014 Olympic gold than Lysacek (and I really don't think Plushenko has much of a chance at all).

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    This would make him the first skater since Dick Button to manage the feat.
    I m sure Mr Button will be t h r i l l e d....literally

On more serious note, I ll start rooting for Chan right about now!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post

On more serious note, I ll start rooting for Chan right about now!
    I, for one, will immediately commence sacrificing a goat everyday for Daisuke Takahashi to continue skating until 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Even so, Lysacek only won by a measly point or so despite having the competition to him practically delivered on a platter.
    That's because when he skated his LP he was skating for silver. You could tell in his body language that he pretty much thought Plushenko had the gold in the bag. His shock when it was announced that he won kinda proved that.

That being said - my selfish desire is that Evan would come back and defend his title making him the first man since Dick Button and all. Could he do it? It'd be a huge feat no matter who it was. Evan isn't as well liked as some of the others, but IF he were able to stay injury free (not likely with his body's track record.) and play his cards right he could at least be on the podium.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    That being said - my selfish desire is that Evan would come back and defend his title making him the first man since Dick Button and all. Could he do it? It'd be a huge feat no matter who it was.
    hmm, so you were also thrilled in the prospect of someone else repeating it in Vancouver?

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    I, for one, will immediately commence sacrificing a goat everyday for Daisuke Takahashi to continue skating until 2014.
    Thats cool idea, my grandad has plenty of goats! I ll start doing the same for Dai if he is to continue, he deserves a second medal. MAybe I choose another animal cause otherwise i foresee goat species in extiction?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    c) Lysacek won over a mediocre competition.
    What makes an event mediocre? Besides, it definetely is not Lysacek´s (or any champion´s) fault if his nearest competitors were not able to give better performances, LOL.

About Evan competing in next Olympics, I doubt it. Besides, he would be 28 or something like that. Of course a lot would depend on his health and on the fact whether the injury he has been suffering from would be totally healed and he could start practicing the quad seriously again. If that could happen, he sure might have a chance to be on the podium.
    Last edited by Jaana; 12-02-2010 at 02:16 PM.

hmm, so you were also thrilled in the prospect of someone else repeating it in Vancouver?
    The history of it, no matter who it is/was, yes is exciting and I'd love to see it. That being said I want to see it being deserved on that night, not on reputation... which is what I was worried was going to happen in Vancouver.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    The history of it, no matter who it is/was, yes is exciting and I'd love to see it. That being said I want to see it being deserved on that night, not on reputation... which is what I was worried was going to happen in Vancouver.
    I guess reputation wont happen in Sochi then, as much as it didnt happen tn Vancouver ..and you wont need to worry
    Anyway that was funny thread, but there is only so much humor I can take.

Custom Title
    I was just googling something having to do with Lysacek and 2009 worlds and the columnist for the NY Daily News who covered figure skating wrote that Lysacek neeeded a quad to win the title -that it was ridiculous to even consider Lysacek winning without a quad and everyone knows what happened there! I am skeptical of the quads will be necessary in 2014 talk because talk of the quad being necessary ever since the adoption of COP hasn't panned out. Worlds 2008 with Buttle and worlds 2009 with Lysacek and Olympics 2010 with Lysacek and kind of Takahashi 2010 worlds. Right now because of the rule changes more quads are being done but they are still really hard to do! Extrememly hard to do and it was only Cup of Russia but Tomas Verner. The system just isn't set up in such a way that quads are necessary. It is all up o the skaters. Like judges at the 2002 Olympics had it so that all the medalists did quads. That was the standard. Will COP in 2014 require quads to win the Olympics? It can't be said that it will! It is up to the skaters to do them. Could Lysacek win the Olympics again quadlessly? I don't see why that's an impossibility. Look at the ultra conservatism that swept men's skating during the 2009-2010 season. Who is to say that ultra conservatism quadless mindset wont happen again? Quads are hard and you may fall a lot and if you want judges to see you as great and give you Olympic gold you should be clean as much as possible. Ultra conservatism could win the day again and there is Lysacek with his clean quadless Olympic gold from 2010 winning again in 2014 in a possible similar ultra conservative environment. Now with the Olympics being Russia would that make skaters more likely to do quads? will it even matter a little? Maybe not if the same ultra conservatism sweeps the sport again.

I guess reputation wont happen in Sochi then, as much as it didnt happen tn Vancouver ..and you wont need to worry
    Anyway that was funny thread, but there is only so much humor I can take.
    If Plushy could not defend his title I doubt that Evan could either. But Evan could probably comeback and win Silver the same as Plushy did

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast