Obscure Pairs Moves that you miss... | Golden Skate

Obscure Pairs Moves that you miss...

janetfan

Match Penalty
I miss something much more basic - true mirror effects, two skating as one.
I find the Pairs skating from the 90's much more attractive that most of what I see in this era.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I'm with you on that, Janet. I think the COP, with its requirement of some of the new moves seen in pairs today has gotten rid of that effect.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
A lot of the stuff Yamaguchi and Galindo used to do, including the mirrored 3F's and 3T's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62iI8SbLm-I

The mirror spin with their legs hitting opposite positions was uncanny, when they hit it right.

But most of all, I miss spins that were in true unison from teams that were regular, not mirror pairs.

mousepotato

On the Ice
I don't think the deathspiral would be counted, I think the rule is "on the blades" not sure if they would allow more revolutions once the DS satisfied or not.

The Axle twist is just plain ugly. She had no height and crashed into him on the way down.

I'm more into watching teams who are athletic than teams from the past who just seems to skate around with no difficulty.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Whether it was due to the 'advancement' of the sport, or the fact that no pairs can complete some of these moves anymore, post any move that you miss that are no longer being done:

1. Death spiral pivoting on the knee (5:43)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg5r7Xi5RpM

Well, that's a pro program. I don't know that it would ever have counted as a legal element in competitive pair skating, if his knee is actually on the ice.

It's a twist lift. I don't know of anyone else who did an axel twist lift, but it's now in the Scale of Values.

(see ISU communication 1611 and the pairs technical panel handbook)

A lot of the stuff Yamaguchi and Galindo used to do, including the mirrored 3F's and 3T's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62iI8SbLm-I

Mirror jumps

How about the single jumps in kilian hold at about 1:50 and 3:10 in this program:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qICTuC1SeWk

Last edited:
Tai and Randy used to do a paired Ina Bauer. I'm sure no one's going to waste time on that now, alas. Once (and obviously this wasn't a competitive skating program), the two John Nicks couples, Tai and Randy and Ken Shelley and JoJo Starbuck, skated a routine that included a fours Ina Bauer. Their styles were so compatible; the number was riveting.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Another team that did an axel twist was Cherkasova & Shakrai.

And yes, Vise and Trent were a mirror pair, but they didn't exploit it as well as Y&G, IMO.

I also miss Tai & Randy's pull Arabians!

And those sequences of small jumps! B&S did one 2002. G&G did one too.

Antilles

Medalist
Olympia, a Canadian team from a few years back did a lovely pairs Ina Bauer. Unfortunately their names are escaping me right now. He was a Wirtz nephew. Sean, maybe? I think her first name was Elizabeth. Peter Tchernyshev (sp?) coached them for a while.

I also miss Tai & Randy's arabians. I think their similar height made that move possible.

Amen to those who mentioned spins actually in unison, and death spirals without the awful change-hand-slow-right-down part tacked onto the end.

Kypma

Final Flight
Olympia, a Canadian team from a few years back did a lovely pairs Ina Bauer. Unfortunately their names are escaping me right now. He was a Wirtz nephew. Sean, maybe? I think her first name was Elizabeth. Peter Tchernyshev (sp?) coached them for a while.

I don't have time to look up a video now, but perhaps Elizabeth Putnam and Sean Wirtz?

Nadine

Record Breaker
I echo those that said they miss the apt description two shall skate as one, coined by Dick Button, of course. :) Seriously, these days the opposite is true, or in other words ~ one shall skate as two. :disagree:

p.s. the kilian hold always reminds me of Shae Lynne Bourne & Victor Kraatz's masterpiece "Riverdance"! :love:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Yep.. Elizabeth Putnam & Sean Wirtz. Gee , she had lovely line. I always secretly wanted her to pair with Craig Buntin when Valerie Marcoux retired..*sigh*

gmyers

Record Breaker
The first thing I thought of was the sequences of small jumps. Double single single double single double whatever.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I watched Lillehammer Olys to educate myself this weekend, pairs was the most jawdropping comnpetition and I liked the pair who came third (cant remember the names, it was from Canada) and the moment he lifts her without the help of hands (i dont know if there is a name for it).
I also found Dimitriev and partner to have so great d. spiral and their combo spins were more inspiring to what i m watching now, especially the one where they are both vertical!

That might have been Brasseur and Eisler? Let me look it up. (Moments later after Wikipedia: yes, those are the ones.) Brasseur and Eisler were a splendid power couple whose lifts were breathtaking. They had one lift called the "Fly high and say bye," which involved Lloyd throwing Isabelle over his head in some way that I couldn't possibly explain. Lloyd was a former hockey player, and Isabelle was as brave as they come. What was the year--1995?--where she skated the Worlds long program with several broken ribs. They medaled, in that worlds, too.

Dmitriev was one of the most exciting pairs men ever. Between his partnering and Moskvina's innovative choreography and coaching, we fans had a feast every time he was in the spotlight. I'm so excited that his son is now rising through the ranks as a singles skater. I think his partner in 1994 was still Mishkutenok, and her flexibility made their death spirals astonishing. Didn't she descend into the spiral in the split position? That Rachmaninoff long program of theirs took my breath away.

And those two awesome pairs only came in third and second in 1994, didn't they? Yes, the standards were pretty high that year. So glad you enjoyed it!

Antilles

Medalist
Brasseur&Eisler were one of the most exciting teams to watch. I think the one-handed lift was just called a one-handed star. They stopped competing after 1994. It was the '94 Worlds that Isabelle competed with broken ribs.

M&D's 1994 program may be my favourite pairs competitive program of all time, and their 1992 Liebestraum (sp?) was also wonderful. I think the death spiral in question had her essentially in a Bielmann pose in the death spiral. It was a great move.

And thank you to the post who remembered Elizabeth Putnam's name for me.

sk8rdad

On the Ice
My favorite Brasseur & Eisler move was the lateral 3Tw where he actually claps his hands behind his back.