Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Nationals Predictions

Custom Title
    are these the first 3tw from Meagan?
    No. When she was skating with Craig Buntin they did it a few times in competition. It was never remotely as good as it is with Eric Radford, however. I think it may help that Eric had a very strong triple twist when he was skating with Rachel Kirkland, and he's simply brought that good technique into the new partnership.

Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    No. When she was skating with Craig Buntin they did it a few times in competition.
    Really, like which ones?

Custom Title
    I'm getting so excited for nationals!! Based on my track record, these will all be wrong, but I'll give it a shot...

Men:

1st - Patrick Chan

I know he's beel inconsistent all year, but I really don't think he will have any realy competition here. He already looked much more put together at the GP final than at his other events, and even without the jumps his artistry is by far the best in the field, so he should be pretty impossible to beat.

2nd - Kevin Reynolds

Again, I know he's been inconsistent, but his jump total alone should be enough to get him the second spot and another trip to worlds.

3rd - Andrei Rogozine

I know, this one is a bit of an unconventional pick, but I saw him skate in the summer and he really is fantastic. He has been wildly successfull and very consistent all season, and he has a full jump arsenal, so I see no reason why he shouldn't make the podium this year. I'd actually really love for him to get the chance to go to worlds. He doesn't have much of a chance to place well, but the experience he would gain would be invaluable.

Women:

1st - Cynthia Phaneuf

She's been a bit of a mess, but when it comes down to it, she has experience, technical content and artistry that the other girls simply do not have.

2nd - Amelie Lacoste

She seemed more solid than ever at Skate Canada, so hopefully she can have a similar national competition.

Third place seems to be a toss up. Whoever skates the best will get the bronze. If I had to guess, I'd put my faith in Alexandra Najarro. It seems like she's having a great year.

Pairs

1st - Kirsten Moore-Towers & Dylan Moscovitch

Although they didn't have the best showing at the GP final, I think these two are the clear frontrunners for the title. It seems like they have all the making of a worlds class pairs team, and I think all they need now is some more experience.

2nd - Paige Lawrence & Rudi Swiegers

I really like this team. They perform with a lot of heart, and their tricks are fantastic. Unfortunately, I think their inconsistent sbs jumps will cost them a shot at the title, but they should have enough to take second.

3rd - Mylene Brodeur & John Matattall

These two are great skaters, but I think the yoounger teams listed above have really overshaddowed them this season.

Dance

Provided that Virtue & Moir miss nationals...

1st - Vanessa Crone & Paul Poirier

These two have proven that they have a legitemate shot at a world medal this year, and based on the GP season, it doesn't seem like Weaver & Poje will be able to beat them, so I think these two have the title in the bag.

2nd - Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje

I think these two have had a great GP season, and it's definately time for them to return to the international stage. They have been missing from the world championships for far too long.

3rd - Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam

These two had me hooked ten seconds into their SD at a local competiton this summer. They're just magical to watch, and although their GP season probably didn't go as planned, I think their performance at Skate Canada proves that they will have no problems fitting in amongst the best seniors in the world. Provided that Alexandra's ribs have healed fully, I don't think there is any other team capable of knocking them out of third, and I think they they could even move up if one of the top two make a mistake. I really can't wait to see these two at worlds. I know they are terribly inexperienced, but I honestly think they won't have any trouble placing well.

As for the juniors, I haven't followed closely enough to really predict anything, but I think that Andreanne Poulin and Marc-Andre Servant from Quebec have a really good shot at the junior dance title. Other than that, I guess I'll just have to be surprised.

Banned
    I think this is going to be one of the most boring Canadians ever.

Men:

Gold- Chan 200% gauranteed

Silver- Reynolds 99% gauranteed

Bronze- crapshoot, could be any of 8 people. I hope Russel or Sawyer.

Ladies:

Gold- Phaneuf if she falls no more than twice. LaCoste if Phaneuf falls atleast 3 times and she falls no more than 1 times.

Bronze- Samson

Dance:

Gold- Crone & Poirier

Silver- Weaver & Poje

Bronze- Mitchell & Islam

Barring Virtue & Moir competing I would be stunned if any of these positions changed.

Pairs:

Gold- Moore-Towers & Moscovitch

Silver- Duhamel & Radford

Bronze- Lawrence & Swiegers

This might be the only true good battle of the week for silver between the latter two.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by valentine View Post
    Liam firus is age eligible for one more year on the JGP, he was born after July 1, as does Andre. Only samuel has aged out. ISU rankings show Rogozine and Firus quite capable of getting Canada 14 spots. 2 golds and a bronze on the circuit. Samuel Morais is also in the mix for Junior worlds
    I do think Samuel is in the mix but is unlikely to get the spot given that Firus has outskated him all season thus far.

Thanks for your corrections regarding mens ages. I still think Firus will be a solid top 10 and Canada's total will be 13 or less here meaning 3 JW spots. I don't think Firus will be in the top 3 countries though. A look at the JGP standings shows that the top skaters from USA, RUS , CHN and SWE finished ahead of him all with much higher scores ( at least 20 points higher over 2 JGPs this year ) . Also remember that Hanyu ( JPN and the current WJ champion ) is likely to return here ( he won't be going to senior worlds ). I fully expect Rogozine to medal here though and obtain the 14 JGP slots.

I also expect Rogozine to be on the senior GP next season.

Rinkside
    For sure Andre Rogozine will be on the senior grand prix, he is having a stellar season. I agree Firus will be a top ten and Rogozine should medal.

Custom Title
    I'm really getting pumped up for nationals now Does anyone know when the entry lists will be posted on the Skate Canada site??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by npa View Post
    OK< so you didnt have officiall information about withdawall. Thank you!
    I dont think they need to retun, if they will miss all this season - C-P will be on podium at this year WCh and what place could V-M take next season? I hope you all will be surprises at Nationals
    C/P are no lock for a World medal this year, in fact it would be a bit of an upset if they do medal. They have no chance of beating Davis & White period. If Virtue & Moir return for Worlds in half decent shape they easily beat C/P too. Pechalat & Bourzat would have to make huge errors to lose to C/P at Worlds this year. That will probably be your podium at Worlds if V/M make it back in half decent shape. And Faiella & Scali could still recover and they dont even have to get back to 100% to beat C/P at this point. There are also other real threats to C/P- Bobrova & Soloviev, R/T, the Kerrs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    C/P are no lock for a World medal this year, in fact it would be a bit of an upset if they do medal. They have no chance of beating Davis & White period. If Virtue & Moir return for Worlds in half decent shape they easily beat C/P too. Pechalat & Bourzat would have to make huge errors to lose to C/P at Worlds this year. That will probably be your podium at Worlds if V/M make it back in half decent shape. And Faiella & Scali could still recover and they dont even have to get back to 100% to beat C/P at this point. There are also other real threats to C/P- Bobrova & Soloviev, R/T, the Kerrs.
    I tend to agree. I'm not sure how C&P could finish on the podium this year, as much as their FD is interesting and a step forward for them. I think top 5 at worlds would be a great achievement and probably more realistic. I also think W&P could perhaps finish top 10 as well, since they have been pretty close to C&P all season - better in the SD, not as good in the FD.

Custom Title
    I believe it's realistic to predict C&P to be in top 5 or 6, and for W&P to be in top 8-10 hopefully. I figure that's about the best that can be hoped for..........then again, ya nevah know! I hope V &M compete at Worlds, even if they come 2nd or 3rd because then Canada would retain 3 spots.

Custom Title
    Ladies:

1.) Phanuef
    2.) LaCoste
    3.) Samson
    4.) Najarro
    5.) Muniz
    6.) Charbonneau

Men:

1.) Chan (without a doubt)
    2.) Reynolds
    3.) Sawyer
    4.) Ten
    5.) Rogozine
    6.) Russell

Banned
    I think if V&M compete at Worlds this year they will definitely only be 2nd or even 3rd. There is no way they will be at their best after being off the ice so long and having not competed this season. Still that would ensure Canada keeping 3 spots easily. We could keep 3 spots anyway but it will be a bigger challenge.

Yeah, I think that Davis and White will probably be the world champions this year, even if Virtue and Moir come back. The other year Virtue and Moir were out most of the season, they dropped a placement, and I don't think they were even out as long as they will be this season. I still think they'll probably beat Pechalat and Bourzat, and all the others, but it's not for sure. After that, it seems like a close fight between all of Faiella and Scali, the Kerrs, Bobrova and Soloviev, Riazanova and Tkachenko, Crone and Poirier, Hoffman and Zavozin, Weaver and Poje, and maybe even Cappellini and Lanotte if they come back from their break improved. Oh yeah, and the Shibutanis and Ilinykh and Katsalapov could also be factors.

Banned
    I am guesing if Virtue & Moir are back for Worlds they will be fighting with Pechalat & Bourzat for the silver this year. By next year they will be back fighing with Davis & White for the gold if they have a completely healthy off season.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I think if V&M compete at Worlds this year they will definitely only be 2nd or even 3rd. There is no way they will be at their best after being off the ice so long and having not competed this season. Still that would ensure Canada keeping 3 spots easily. We could keep 3 spots anyway but it will be a bigger challenge.
    I dont know, but i have a drean P-B will be ahead of D-W at WCh. I know, you all talk about D-W, like about team, who is much better then all other and could have 3 falls and take gold. But WCh its not GP competitions.
    I think D-W will repeat B-A way to there sacond OG.
    As for V-M - dont worry, they will not skate and will not disturb D-W
    The most sad thing is when such a talanted girl have such a bad injury, when not-talanted skaters have a chance to take even gold at most important competitions.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast