Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Nationals Predictions

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Here's P&I's Cup of Russia SD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRquAWq8NXw

One problem with it is that it is one of the wangoes.
    Their levels in the GW weren't that bad, but their GOE is negative. For one thing, they skated it very, very slow. Skating it to a tango doesn't help either.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gp..._SD_Scores.pdf

They were eighth of eight competitors in the SD.

They had 3 penalty deductions, 2 for extended lifts, one for a fall.

I can see them beating Ralph & Hill, though, provided they are recovered from any injuries.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 01-07-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Thanks, [I]doris[/I]...(Gads , I hope I get my 'puter bumped up before 4CC )...

2 of my fervent wishes for Canadians.. a change of costume for P/I's FD..and that W/P can have done something to improve the chances for their FD..( not as easy..and too late to go right back to the drawing board after GPF..)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    I'm not making excuses for them ,or secretly rooting for them over W/P, but I am fascinated by them. They've done so much in a short time, I'm always curious to see if ( or how much ) they've improved since the last time I saw them , wondering how long they can keep up that rate of improvement.

I think W/P are better than they've often been given credit for, but think they've shot themselves in the foot with their very generic FD this year.

Edit : Skatingfan - you were posting while I was typing... I completely agree about P/I's chances for worlds... esp. since there's a good likelhood that I/K will get there. Of course that's the situation W/P suffered with the last couple of years..
    My bets are on W/P to grab the last spot on the World team (counting on V/M of course). And not just because the "consensus" is to give them a chance, I think I/P are not there yet, technically. For that matter, I don't think I/K will be on their world team either, i don't think they can beat R/T at the europeans, for me, R/T are on a faster rising pace.

High class problems for us, don't you think ? I don't really remember a time when we could feel that we had four teams we could feel would be worthy of going.

herios , I think you could be right about R/T ( a couple I like very much, if not their FD ) and of course ,if P/I do well enough they could get sent to 4CC.

I believe there are I/K boosters hoping that they can do so well at Euros that they would get the trip to World's, but I don't think R/T will be easy to bypass.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 01-07-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by valentine View Post
    Shae worked with kevin? when?
    When she choreographed his programs of course.

Custom Title
    High class problems for us, don't you think ? I don't really remember a time when we could feel that we had four teams we could feel would be worthy of going.

herios , I think you could be right about R/T ( a couple I like very much, if not their FD ) and of course ,if P/I do well enough they could get sent to 4CC.

I believe there are I/K boosters hoping that they can do so well at Euros that they would get the trip to World's, but I don't think R/T will be easy to bypass.
    Who are those boosters? Were they watching I/K program in comparison with R/T's? I am talking about the FD here especially.
    People might get awed by Elena and Nikita elegant presentation, by their upper body posture, ex
    pression indeed, lovely. But what counts even more is WHAT THEY DO WAIST DOWN...There they are weaker, slower and their Don Quiote is much simpler choregraphically. R./T have more dancing going on, more difficulty and are much faster.

As far as canadian ice dancing, well, I dreamed about 3 years ago when C/P blasted on the senior tour that we will have 3 top 10 teams in the world...Two years I was dissapointed by W/P who got stuck in the mud, but now I am more than ever convinced that my dream will come true ( fingers crosssed for Tessa).
    And if it will, I will enjoy the ride...as long as it lasts, I will stop here, not to get Skategods mad on me

Custom Title
    herios, the boosters have been quiet since I/K didn't tear up the GP season like people thought, but they were there. There were a few people ready to ship them the OGM in 2014 based on V/M and D/W's rise. But to be fair, no one expected Riazanova/Tkachenko to have the year they've had - remember, they've only been together a few months more than I/K!

Custom Title
    J10 is out, I guess this means Sawyer will probably medal.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    J10 is out, I guess this means Sawyer will probably medal.
    It's a shame about Ten, hope this recent surgery allows him to get back on track. He's been struggling with injury for a while.

I do love Shawn, but unfortunately the axel and lutz seem to fail him when he needs them. I think Rogozine has a shot at a medal.

Custom Title
    I think it was Paul who was injured..first reported as back, then clarified as a rib injury that caused pain / reaction in her back as well..

I wouldn't expect them to overtake W/P, but I suspect they've left R/H in their dust ,and will place ahead of them (if she's better ). But I think they did get some good marks at SC, so I'm interested in what the differential will be between them and W/P and C/P, and between them and R/H..and hope everyone is healthy and skates well so that we'll know what that differential means.

For example, I'm not entirely sure what went on with the GW, so I want to see how they do with it at Nationals. IIRC , at SC they recieved a pretty good level on one section, but they had a goof where their blades just glanced, or something - right at the transition between the end of the other section and the beginning of their footwork.

I couldn't see their SD at CoR due to my livestreaming difficulties (%#@&**!) but if they were fighting injury ,I wouldn't consider that result definitive , either. Of course, there is often a strategic element to mid-competition withdrawals , but I wouldn't put theirs down to being only strategic .

I'm not making excuses for them ,or secretly rooting for them over W/P, but I am fascinated by them. They've done so much in a short time, I'm always curious to see if ( or how much ) they've improved since the last time I saw them , wondering how long they can keep up that rate of improvement.

I think W/P are better than they've often been given credit for, but think they've shot themselves in the foot with their very generic FD this year.

Edit : Skatingfan - you were posting while I was typing... I completely agree about P/I's chances for worlds... esp. since there's a good likelhood that I/K will get there. Of course that's the situation W/P suffered with the last couple of years..
    You took the words right out of my mouth, colleen o'neill I agree that W/P are very underappreciated. I can't think of why that would be, but it's been something that has plagued them for years now, IMO. I was so thrilled to see them ahead of C/P in the SD at the GP final because frankly, I have preferred their program over C/P's all season. Perhaps the judges are starting to appreciate W/P a little more now. I also agree that W/P should finish ahead of P/I at nationals barring any unforseen disastrous mistakes. I also think, however, that a healthy P/I could beat them in the FD. I know that its pointless to compare scores from one competition to the next, but while W/P have consistently scored higher than P/I in the SD, their FD scores have all been five or more points short of what P/I scored in the FD at Skate Canada. Now, depending on the judging pannel at nationals, that discrepency could become a factor.

Personally, I'm completely captivated by P/I. I was totally impressed with them at junior worlds last year, but they really hooked me at the beginning of this season. I wasn't surprised by how well they did at Skate Canada because I was lucky enough to see them perform their SD and FD live in the summer. They are really smooth and extremely expressive, and they have a presence that simply doesn't come across on TV. Whether they make it to worlds or not, I think they have a very bright future ahead of them. Above all, I'm totally excited by the depth that we have in Canadian dance. If someone had told me back in 2006 that we would have four teams good enough to be competative at the senior international level, I probably would have laughed. This is just awesome

BTW, I apologze for my dumb question about P/I's junior world eligeability. I guess I was still thinking of the OD, because I completely forgot that the juniors and seniors use different CD's in the SD. There's no chance of P/I, or Ralph/Hill for that matter, going back to junior worlds, so I guess it'll be up to the junior medallists to carry the torch. Canada has, after all, won five junior world ice dance medals in the past six years.

herios..As Pogue says, the I/K boosters were there , and still are to some degree ( not so much on GS as on some other boards ), though they've pulled their horns in quite a bit. Now, they suggest that Russia still might send I/K to world's if they do really well at Euros..Implying, and hoping that I/K will win the political contest...

I pretty much agree with you on the merits of I/K vs. R/T ,and have no more clue than any other complete outsider as to what's going on in Russian skating politics. So I should have used the word possibility instead of likelihood.. and perhaps made it more clear that I wasn't stating my opinion, but stating what was being bandied about.

If, by chance, I/K should get to World's, I'll feel bad for P/I if they have to wait for the next "batch" to get there ( I'd also feel bad for the Shibs.,if the same should happen to them in the US )..This is because, although I think things have improved in the ice dance world as far as politics go , I think perception still does play some part in placements , so it would be a shame if those teams that are competitive now, get delayed a year or two and are thus viewed as being not quite ready for prime time... Of course, that doesn't mean that I want anyone to be elevated in their national ranks undeservedly.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post

BTW, I apologze for my dumb question about P/I's junior world eligeability. I guess I was still thinking of the OD, because I completely forgot that the juniors and seniors use different CD's in the SD. There's no chance of P/I, or Ralph/Hill for that matter, going back to junior worlds, so I guess it'll be up to the junior medallists to carry the torch. Canada has, after all, won five junior world ice dance medals in the past six years.

Well realistically , I don't think that Canada will medal in ice dance at JW this year unless a Paul/Islam thing happens again. The Russians have dominated the JW dance this year and are likely to sweep the medals at JW.

The key thing though is having our top team finish among the top 3 countries ( this gives us the maximum 14 JGP slots next season). The key to doing that is beating the top Ukranian team.

I think it is possible ( but by no means guaranteed ) that we can beat the Ukranians with our top junior teams..

Let's just hope that next season that Skate Canada actually uses all its JGP dance slots next season unlike this season where they left 4 slots blank. One team who finished 4th in a JGP did not even get a second one. Denying skaters the chance to build up the ISU ranking ( which is needed for senior GP slots later on ) is sheer stupidity. It also hurts our position at JW as the SD skate order is determined by ISU ranking.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by callalily View Post
    It's a shame about Ten, hope this recent surgery allows him to get back on track. He's been struggling with injury for a while.

I do love Shawn, but unfortunately the axel and lutz seem to fail him when he needs them. I think Rogozine has a shot at a medal.
    Yeah, well Rogozine def has a good shot. However, if Shawn skates well, I see the judges rewarding him with big scores, esp PCS.

Yes, thrilling as our depth in ice dance is right now , the Russian depth is simply mind boggling...

I must guiltily admit that while I can see his strengths, I find Rogozine's skating pretty boring at this stage of the game ,( though that could be unfair,as it might partly be that his programs don't thrill me ). I'll really miss Jeremy this year, and really hope for Elladj to make a breakthrough ( does he need a coaching change..full , or some shared arrangement ?) I can't quite remember..hadn't he seemed to have hit a plateau before his injury ? I didn't get to see him as often as I might have liked 2 yrs. ago , so others might have a better idea of this than I do. I seem to remember thinking at the time that he needed a more disciplined approach , or maybe better choreo, or something ,to balance ( and take full advantage of ) his larger-than-life presence.

Custom Title
    Yes, thrilling as our depth in ice dance is right now , the Russian depth is simply mind boggling...

I must guiltily admit that while I can see his strengths, I find Rogozine's skating pretty boring at this stage of the game ,( though that could be unfair,as it might partly be that his programs don't thrill me ). I'll really miss Jeremy this year, and really hope for Elladj to make a breakthrough ( does he need a coaching change..full , or some shared arrangement ?) I can't quite remember..hadn't he seemed to have hit a plateau before his injury ? I didn't get to see him as often as I might have liked 2 yrs. ago , so others might have a better idea of this than I do. I seem to remember thinking at the time that he needed a more disciplined approach , or maybe better choreo, or something ,to balance ( and take full advantage of ) his larger-than-life presence.

Balde beat Reynolds at JW before his injury so I would hardly say that he had plateaued before the injury. That was Balde's last competition before the injury. It was about 16 months before he ever competed again at the Quebec summer competition.

Personally I don't think Balde is ready yet to be a factor at Canadians this year mainly because you have to take into account he lost a whole year due to the injury. If he can skate well enough to get consideration for Nebelhorn next season ( I know the summer comps are used as well) that will be great.

I hope that Chan and Rogozine don't get tickets to 4CC. We need Rogozine to concentrate on JW ( JGP slots will be determined by his placement and not by Firus or Morais) and some other skaters desperately need ISU ranking points.

I also hope that Skate Canada leaves 2 TBA spots for Skate Canada. Reynolds and Rogozine will get 2 spots each anyway and we have many skaters ready to build their ISU rankings.

The competition for the Nebelhorn ( and other senior B ) spots will be intense that is for sure.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast