Patrick Chan and his Chinese Karma | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan and his Chinese Karma

wallylutz

Medalist
http://www.skatebuzz.com/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?id=8939ec9d-efbf-4422-9edd-8f5a227fddb0

The trip to Beijing has extra meaning for Chan as well, because while he's of Chinese descent, he's never been there.

``I've been to all the other countries in Asia, which is ironic because I'm Chinese so I'm really excited to go,'' he said. ``I've been waiting for this for a long time.''

The two-time world silver medallist finished fifth at the Grand Prix final in 2007 and 2008. He didn't qualify for last season's event, sidelined by a calf injury that forced him to withdraw from the Rostelecom Cup (skaters need points from two Grand Prix events to qualify for the final).

He's excited to show off his newly acquired quad jump this week.

Since the mention of Chan seems to be a hot topic this season, causing more people to participate in Men's skating threads during the GP than the same threads on Ladies' skating at the same events, judging based on # of viewership and post counts - it begs to ask: Would Chan benefit from the event being held in China? Would the audience be more likely to support him because they know he is Chinese?

What's your take?

The audience might like him, but I don't think his ethnic ancestry will make any difference to the judges.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Some online "cool" kids in China, as elsewhere, have bought into and re-enforced each other on Patrick's negative image. It's particularly cool and independent to not like him just because he's Chinese. We will find out soon enough how the public feels about him.

Recently, someone registered at FSU just to gleefully report that there would be protests against Chan in Beijing, with signs that said "PCS=Patrick Chan Scores" and that notes would be passed to judges. This poster proved to be very juvenile and a regular Chinese poster at FSU hastened to explain those were trouble making teengagers who had already caused problems during COC. They loved some sexy skaters but didn't know much about skating. (Sounds familiar?) The whole thing was later called off.

This is actually a PR opportunity for Patrick in China. I wonder if he's learned some Mandarin as he said he wanted to.

Last edited:
^ At least it's nice to know that "cool" young people in China have an interest in figure skating. :)

stickle

Rinkside
Since the mention of Chan seems to be a hot topic this season, causing more people to participate in Men's skating threads during the GP than the same threads on Ladies' skating at the same events, judging based on # of viewership and post counts - it begs to ask: Would Chan benefit from the event being held in China? Would the audience be more likely to support him because they know he is Chinese?

What's your take?
Is it going to matter whether the audience supports him or not? No. The meme on this board is going to be that the judges support him regardless of how well he skates or how anyone else skates. I can write most of the posts already. :rolleye:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I believe audience support often can have a big impact. A fresh non-jet lagged skater competing at home drawing energy from supportive aundience can rise to the occasion and perform extra well. Such home advantages may cause accusations of judges' bias. However, in a major event, the audience support which comes with high expectation can become too stressful for the skater instead of motivating. Of course, much depends on the skater's mental strength and makeup.

In Patrick's case, some audience support away from home should be helpful. But then, of course, as stickle noted, we already know what the spins will be however he performs.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Is it going to matter whether the audience supports him or not? No. The meme on this board is going to be that the judges support him regardless of how well he skates or how anyone else skates. I can write most of the posts already. :rolleye:

Well...isn't this what Patrick himself has more or less publicly acknowledged anyways? ;)

``That shows the importance of [good] practices. The judges know I can do the program. It shows they want me to do well. That's good to know; it definitely cheered me up a little bit."

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com.../11/chan-scores-joke-short-track-success.html (also, icenetwork)

stickle

Rinkside
Well...isn't this what Patrick himself has more or less publicly acknowledged anyways? ;)

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com.../11/chan-scores-joke-short-track-success.html (also, icenetwork)

Do you think the judges go to the practices just to watch Patrick? Do you think they have opinions only about Patrick's routines? This meme about Patrick being treated so differently is wacky. All the skaters are watched and judged. Patrick's comment that you quoted wasn't some big state secret. Other skaters have said virtually the same thing many times. It's not even unusual for the judges to talk to the skater's coaches and to tell them what their skaters could do to improve their program and increase their marks. Patrick isn't being judged and/or treated any differently than any other skater.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Do you think the judges go to the practices just to watch Patrick? Do you think they have opinions only about Patrick's routines? This meme about Patrick being treated so differently is wacky. All the skaters are watched and judged. Patrick's comment that you quoted wasn't some big state secret. Other skaters have said virtually the same thing many times. It's not even unusual for the judges to talk to the skater's coaches and to tell them what their skaters could do to improve their program and increase their marks. Patrick isn't being judged and/or treated any differently than any other skater.

Please note the winking emoticon in my original post; it was meant to convey that I was being rather facetious at the time.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
http://www.skatebuzz.com/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?id=8939ec9d-efbf-4422-9edd-8f5a227fddb0

The trip to Beijing has extra meaning for Chan as well, because while he's of Chinese descent, he's never been there.

<snip>

What's your take?

Your answer as to audience: For both SP and FS, Chan got a nice round of warm applause from the crowd upon introduction, but not nearly as much as Verner and the three Japanese got. Even discounting the effect of the Japanese contingent in the audience cheering for their home boys, the overwhelmingly Chinese crowd made the difference. And they simply are more familiar with Verner and the Japanese guys who have competed in Beijing before, and who mostly have very engaging, exciting, and entertaining programs. I think Chan is seen as an overseas Chinese but that is not the same as a local boy. Junior Men's Competitor Han Yan, in contrast, got a huge response when introduced earlier in the day. On the flip side, there was no rancor or evidence of any anti-Chan sentiment, that I could see. I don't think the audience had any positive or negative effect on Chan's actual performance or on judges' scoring. As to judges--when it comes to Chan, they do what they do, no matter where the competition is held.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
http://www.china-ice.cn/archiver/tid-10518-page-42.html

Long descriptions by Chinese fans meeting the skaters, who are all refered to by nicknames. Here Patrick is called "Apron", from the sound of his Chinese name. Oda is "Monkey"!

The Chinese fans were charmed by Patrick in person, finding him quite good looking, very nice and warm. Upon meeting him, they realized he was a guileless straight forward person whose words may be easily misquoted or spun. The got him to converse in Cantonese.

There are some confessions and teasing on the fans' "conversion".

Re. Kozuka at the press conference, translated: "He seemed to have a very good relationship with "Apron". When "Apron" came in, he was very happy and went up to shake his hand whereas the rest of the time he was mostly showing a poker face. As for the clashing incident, he kept apologizing, and his voice got softer and softer. After translation, "Apron" understood what he said so he very kindly went to comfort him, even using his own example (with Rippon).....Actually, by "Little Brother's" (Kozuka's) personality, it was no use trying to comfort him. He will get over it after some time." (note: Takahashi is "big Brother Dai")

The English quote here says there was no translation but Kozuka's words and feelings were assumed:

Kozuka said in Japanese at the press conference after the collision incident: “I feel so sorry for Takahashi and will try not to let this happen again.” It was not translated into English, but people surrounding him, including gold medalist Chan, may have assumed what Kozuka kept saying and comforted saying, “Don’t worry too much, it happens sometimes in practice. I, myself, hit Adam in competition the other day—we got bruised.”

Oda the Monkey was described as quite Americanized. A fan asked him to take a picture for her and there was much discussion, initiated by her own questioning, on whether it was rude of her, and on if she had addressed him properly in Japanese. Oda' mom was with him.

Alissa was found to be very pretty. Good smile with white pretty teeth.

There is a section of Q&A with Takahashi and Kozuka translated from Japanese. I'll try to translate later for another thread.

I just found more stories the next page, about other skaters. Maybe I'll find something interesting to report.

eta: The above was from Kozuka thread in that forum. I'm reading up about Patrick on his thread. I don't read Chinese forum much because it's not easy with nicknames and new cyber speak and new cool lingo. And I am generally not interested in reading most internet postings, in any of the languages I know.

Last edited: