Men's Short Program | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Oda must have had huge GOE to outscore Takahashi by so much with the same jumps on TES and Chan with a quad.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Of course you are entitled to your opinion. I am a Dai fan and think he is brilliant on the ice. That is my line and I am sticking to it. ;)

I like Dai too - just thought he was clearly outskated by Oda and Chan in the SP today.
There is still the LP to come and I would not be surprised if Dai wins this event.

On the other hand, Oda was awesome today and I think his lead should be bigger.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Oda must have had huge GOE to outscore Takahashi by so much with the same jumps on TES and Chan with a quad.

Actually, Oda had a 4T-3T while Takahashi only had a 3-3.

If Oda received huge GOE for his jumps, he deserved them tonight--his jumps were magnificent. The height and distance, as well as the butter-smooth landings, of his 4T-3T and 3A made me go :eek:

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Oda should lead more? Huh? Since when 4-3 in SP should big lead 3-3? Since Vancouver?:sheesh:

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
I agree with how amazing Oda's 4-3 was! Actually, all his jumps were great :)

And spins. Even the step sequence, while not being his signature move, was done so well on one foot and nicely to the music IMO. Oda deserved whatever GoE+ he got tonight.

What great performances from the top 4! I'm a Daisuke fan but happy he came 3rd. I'm rather surprised with Chan's score- I expected him, going along with how the judges have been this season, to be given the 1st place.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Since when 4-3 in SP should big lead 3-3? Since Vancouver?:sheesh:

Yes, since Vancouver. That's why Chan has been attempting the quad, and Oda, who saw Chan received big credits for quad falls, tried out his quad today in the short as well. This is the new trend whether you like it or not.

janetfan

Match Penalty
LOL Clearly the judging trend has changed quite a bit! And Oda's non-jump elements were first grade.

Some posters can't tell the difference and every thought they have is based on who their favorites are.
Dai and Kozuka were not that sharp tonight - they can skate better. Those who love the posing, pelvic thrusts and ther finger forget that the jumps, spins and footwork are important too.

Oda was clearly the best tonight and Chan was rightfuly second.
Wait for the LP - I would not be surprised if we see some changes in the top four.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I like Dai too - just thought he was clearly outskated by Oda and Chan in the SP today.
There is still the LP to come and I would not be surprised if Dai wins this event.

On the other hand, Oda was awesome today and I think his lead should be bigger.

I have not watched Oda and Chan yet but Dai was not at his best today and looking at the scores he was outskated today. Dai is one of my favorite skaters but my fandom does not include rose colored glasses. Dai has been outskated in the past, no biggie for me.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I have not watched Oda and Chan yet but Dai was not at his best today and looking at the scores he was outskated today. Dai is one of my favorite skaters but my fandom does not include
rose colored glasses. Dai has been outskated in the past, no biggie for me.

Yeah, I love Daisuke's skating but he was definitely outskated tonight, at the very least tech-wise.

To be completely honest, I actually thought his score would've been a few points lower, given the big stumble on his footwork and the lack of a quad.

janetfan

Match Penalty
To be completely honest, I actually thought his score would've been a few points lower, given the big stumble on his footwork and the lack of a quad.

That's all I was saying......Oda did not finish first only because of the 4+3, it was also his 3A and the other elements.
He was really brilliant - a wonderful SP which deserved first.

Maybe Plushy can teach Oda the "finger trick" or he can study Joubert's pelvic thrust if that would make a few fans happy ;)

Personally, I prefer good, clean skating. Like Kozuka's LP from TEB. No gimmicks or posing, just wonderful skating.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I think black color of the Dai's costume is not the right choice. Too heavy for such music. And considering that he was slowerer today than usual, in that black costume he looked even much slowerer.

Kozuka was boring.

seniorita

Record Breaker
This is the new trend whether you like it or not.
It was just an observation, relax...:rolleye:

Some posters can't tell the difference and every thought they have is based on who their favorites are.
Those who love the posing, pelvic thrusts and ther finger forget that the jumps, spins and footwork are important too.
I was talking about SP. What you imply, cause it is obvious that some goes to me is ridicullous and repetitive, I m bored already.
I dont applaud pelvic thrusts and fingers, I can pretty tell the difference of what I see no matter if the skater is my fav on not, thank you very much, it is unfair to adress me like this, and contrary to you I dont change my opinion in every other post. So be careful what you write, you sound snobish and rude. Nobody has to apologise here for what he likes or not.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Daisuke has not performed well so far this season - 4th is about right if the men were mixed together like today. Chan, while clean, didn't land his quad very well whereas what he had previously landed were gorgeous. Oda has actually done very well and consistently this season, though he gave the SA gold away to Dais. With his quad combo, he's rightfully ahead. Actually, point wise, it doesn't matter to which jump the 3T is tacked on but a 4T/3T may have impressed the judges more.

Bring it on for the LP!

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Not to make excuses but I wonder if the collision yesterday at practice with Taka (Dai got hit pretty hard) had anything to do with Dai's slowness today.
He may be bruised.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Actually I didnt say i dont like it, I just think the trend changed thats all, and I just observed the difference. :) After all the talking in Vancouver about the quad especially in sp. I m pretty much happy with the placements, I think they are right, i told it some pages ago. On the other hand trolling never changes trend here, it is like bullying at school.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Not to make excuses but I wonder if the collision yesterday at practice with Taka (Dai got hit pretty hard) had anything to do with Dai's slowness today.
He may be bruised.

Actually Kozuka is the one to have deviated more from his level of performance and placement. Takahashi is about right in his place this season comparing to the other top men, without Oda handing him the gold this time. Well, not yet anyway. I think Oda is super motivated to claim his rightful prize.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Saw this one live in the arena--it was a fun field to watch. I thought the placements were exactly correct, based on what was put out on the ice by these gents. And relative scoring about right. General thoughts:

--Overall, pretty well skated by most. Wish Amodio and Verner had not popped their 3A's :disapp:

--Amodio didn't have his finest night, but I like his style this SP.

--Oda was just :cool: and you could tell in the warm-up, he was going to come out with both barrels blazing away. Lots of Oda fans in the crowd. Fans and non-fans went ga-ga with the 4T-3T, and as he nailed element after element, the crowd excitement level went noticeably up. We knew the score was going to be good. Great job. Now he needs to make sure he doesn't do something idiotic in the FS, like adding invalid elements.

--Verner is popular here and so are this year's programs. Lots of fan support. He skated this better at CoC, though. He still looks pretty relaxed out there and not sliding towards Headcase-ism so far. This program seems too simple for him, though.

--Chan: Had some warm up trouble with the 3A so I figured that would be his obligatory SP fall. :biggrin: But I was wrong. He had a 4T with swingy landing and had to make up the combo elsewhere, but his 3A was good this time. No falls. Other elements very high quality, and he seemed to be connecting and selling the program more than before. (Though I admit this is first time I've seen Chan live.) Did a really fine job, received big applause, and deserved this score. Oda should have got the nod on TES (4-3 combo trumps a solo 4) but I though Chan should get the better PCS.

--Takahashi gets on ice to huge amounts of whooping and hollering from crowd. Women in crowd, heh-heh. Crowd stayed behind him all the way. Landed his jumps, FW stumble, a little bit sloppy but overall, a very good program for what it is. I think too much posing and posturing, especially the last 40-50 seconds. Big showboat! Hope he tries something non-Latin for next season. His TES should not be up with Oda and Chan, but his PCS should be above Chan.

--Kozuka: Skating after Dai at a competition can be kind of anti-climatic was a challenging position to be in, as a climax to the competition had been building, and it was up to Kozuka not be the one to pop the atmospheric balloon. He didn't bomb, but was a bit shakier on jumping than at his other season competitions. He definitely didn't have quite the same "oomph" as he did at CoC. Bumping into the end rink boards was strange but he covered it well and it didn't detract from the overlall presentation. I knew he would not be scored as high as Dai. Kozuka will likely never be able to beat Dai on PCS, he'll have to go to the limit on TES and hope Dai shoots himself in foot.

As short programs go (music + choreography), I liked those of Oda, Chan, and Amodio...not enamored of the other 3.
Looking forward to the Men's FS tomorrow.