Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Men's Short Program

Not to make excuses but I wonder if the collision yesterday at practice with Taka (Dai got hit pretty hard) had anything to do with Dai's slowness today.
    He may be bruised.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    It was just an observation, relax....
    To be honest with you, I actually don't like the trend. But it is the trend whether we like it or not.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Actually I didnt say i dont like it, I just think the trend changed thats all, and I just observed the difference. After all the talking in Vancouver about the quad especially in sp. I m pretty much happy with the placements, I think they are right, i told it some pages ago. On the other hand trolling never changes trend here, it is like bullying at school.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    Not to make excuses but I wonder if the collision yesterday at practice with Taka (Dai got hit pretty hard) had anything to do with Dai's slowness today.
    He may be bruised.
    Actually Kozuka is the one to have deviated more from his level of performance and placement. Takahashi is about right in his place this season comparing to the other top men, without Oda handing him the gold this time. Well, not yet anyway. I think Oda is super motivated to claim his rightful prize.

Custom Title
    Saw this one live in the arena--it was a fun field to watch. I thought the placements were exactly correct, based on what was put out on the ice by these gents. And relative scoring about right. General thoughts:

--Overall, pretty well skated by most. Wish Amodio and Verner had not popped their 3A's

--Amodio didn't have his finest night, but I like his style this SP.

--Oda was just and you could tell in the warm-up, he was going to come out with both barrels blazing away. Lots of Oda fans in the crowd. Fans and non-fans went ga-ga with the 4T-3T, and as he nailed element after element, the crowd excitement level went noticeably up. We knew the score was going to be good. Great job. Now he needs to make sure he doesn't do something idiotic in the FS, like adding invalid elements.

--Verner is popular here and so are this year's programs. Lots of fan support. He skated this better at CoC, though. He still looks pretty relaxed out there and not sliding towards Headcase-ism so far. This program seems too simple for him, though.

--Chan: Had some warm up trouble with the 3A so I figured that would be his obligatory SP fall. But I was wrong. He had a 4T with swingy landing and had to make up the combo elsewhere, but his 3A was good this time. No falls. Other elements very high quality, and he seemed to be connecting and selling the program more than before. (Though I admit this is first time I've seen Chan live.) Did a really fine job, received big applause, and deserved this score. Oda should have got the nod on TES (4-3 combo trumps a solo 4) but I though Chan should get the better PCS.

--Takahashi gets on ice to huge amounts of whooping and hollering from crowd. Women in crowd, heh-heh. Crowd stayed behind him all the way. Landed his jumps, FW stumble, a little bit sloppy but overall, a very good program for what it is. I think too much posing and posturing, especially the last 40-50 seconds. Big showboat! Hope he tries something non-Latin for next season. His TES should not be up with Oda and Chan, but his PCS should be above Chan.

--Kozuka: Skating after Dai at a competition can be kind of anti-climatic was a challenging position to be in, as a climax to the competition had been building, and it was up to Kozuka not be the one to pop the atmospheric balloon. He didn't bomb, but was a bit shakier on jumping than at his other season competitions. He definitely didn't have quite the same "oomph" as he did at CoC. Bumping into the end rink boards was strange but he covered it well and it didn't detract from the overlall presentation. I knew he would not be scored as high as Dai. Kozuka will likely never be able to beat Dai on PCS, he'll have to go to the limit on TES and hope Dai shoots himself in foot.

As short programs go (music + choreography), I liked those of Oda, Chan, and Amodio...not enamored of the other 3.
    Looking forward to the Men's FS tomorrow.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    4T-3T!!! Massive!!
    3A - Again, massive!
    Nobu is on fire!
    And my feed buffers aggghhhhh
    I have no idea whether he landed his final jumping pass or not
    Was this the first time ever that Oda has put a quad into his actual competition? Wowwww!

Haven't had chance to watch any of these programs yet. By reading here, I'm very happy for Oda and Chan! Wonder if the collision in the practice has affected Takahashi and Kozuka's skating today? Amodio and Verner - as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Was this the first time ever that Oda has put a quad into his actual competition? Wowwww!

Haven't had chance to watch any of these programs yet. By reading here, I'm very happy for Oda and Chan! Wonder if the collision in the practice has affected Takahashi and Kozuka's skating today? Amodio and Verner - as expected.
    I think Oda showed quads in both of his LPs this season. Maybe this was the first time in the SP.
    He really had a good skate - one of the very best SPs of the season.

Custom Title
    Dai is my favorite but my feeling today is on Chan and Oda. I don't like Chan but I do enjoy his skating and I can't believe I'm saying this but I would have put him ahead of Oda. He has the better program and his presentation is better imo.

Custom Title
    Oda adding the 4/3 was smart because he does them in practice a lot and people are always posting them online. Finally a quad combo goes in a program!

Custom Title
    I would have put Chan first, Takahashi second and Oda third. Oda is a fantastic jumper, but he is not good in interpreting music, IMO.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Oda was on fire. Both Daisuke and Taka had odd stumbles and some other little quality problems. Patrick's 4T was not as good as he had so 3T was tacked on to 3F. His jumps are all preceded with footwork so the combo can be made out of any of them without concern of not having all required jumps. Couldn't see well on computer stream but I believe he does one foot footwork into his 3F.

Both Nobu's and Patrick's scores are huge.

Sorry Silverlake.
    I thought Dai was the best, but I see why he's in 3rd because he didn't do a quad and the top 2 did. I can't complain about Verner's score because of the huge pop. I thought Kozuka was a little overscored, but they probably wanted to keep him in the running for a medal. Tomorrow is a new day.

Custom Title
    Bigsisjiejie, it's so good to read your rinkside report.

Are there many Japanese fans in attendance? With 50% of Singles competitors from Japan, which is near China, I imagine there must be lots of enthusiastic Japanese there to support their stars.

Still, the arena was far from full. :sheesh:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    Dai is my favorite but my feeling today is on Chan and Oda. I don't like Chan but I do enjoy his skating and I can't believe I'm saying this but I would have put him ahead of Oda. He has the better program and his presentation is better imo.
    Chan's PCS were much higher than Oda's. Oda's TES were higher though. And now that I got to see the performances (my bad on my first point about a triple-triple for Oda ) Oda definitely deserved higher TES. His jumps were stronger and his spins a bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    He may be bruised.
    Oh I'm sure he's hurting after that collision... gotta wonder how Taka's feeling as well.

Custom Title
    If Chan can get +GOE on sloppy jumps, Oda should get +2GOE all across and on all of his jumps. He truly is the best jumper. If only we could combine Dai, Taka and Oda in one package. lol

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast