Ladies Short Program | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short Program

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Loved Miki's dress too. She did not do to bad given that this is the debut of her new SP.
I think by her Nationals and definitely by Worlds she will have all of the kinks worked out.
This was a first rate competition. Great skating from the Ladies.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Overall lackluster competition, the very best ones are when everyone skates their best and you win, like at the most recent Olympics the Mens Final! :)

But the competition is not over yet, hopefully the LPs are better, I'm not sure if I will watch though. It seems my favorites do better when I'm not watching anyway. I'm still not sure if I did the right thing by going to the 2010 Olympics to watch Zhenya skate for the gold, same as at 2010 Skate America to watch Rachael. I don't believe in jinxing, but I'm starting to have my doubts...

And on that note I don't think they will let an American woman win the GPF even if Alissa skates clean. The USFSA no longer has the pull imho, and the new COP dropped them from 1st down to second tier. It will be a long time before we have an American Ladies World Champion, not to mention Olympic Champ. I hope the men can do better, but it doesn't look like it, they're in the same spot.

On a good note, I'm looking forward to watching US Nationals, which I do every year! :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
I am so happy for Alissa and Carolina! And to think many suggested they should retire! When they are on, they are at the top. I agree with the placements

Yes, nice to see such lovely skating from Alissa and Carolina.
I agree with Nadine - Miki's dress is lovely.

Poor Rachael - it looks like she should have withdrawn as she was slower than ever and looked undertrained.
But she is a fighter so she might dig herslef out of last place if she can manage a strong LP.

I look for Kanako or Akiko to win this if Alissa and Caro falter in the long.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Elegance and beauty win today.

I've said Ladies' results all depend on which twins show up. Surprisingly, Miki has an evil twin too.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Now I'm wondering if Rachael will withdraw like Joubert did? :confused: At least Rachael has a valid excuse whereas imho Brian did not. *thumbs down Brian*

Alissa has now 5, count them 5, super skates in the international Grand Prix, why on earth does she have to prove herself a Worlds contender at non-international US Nats? If she wins this (possible) and 3rd place at US Nats, very sad.

It's the best Carolina I've seen since she beat out Kwan in 2004 Worlds.

Akiko was very good on all counts, but performance wise, she was not the Lady from Malaga.

Murikama just wouldn't get serious. All that bouncing gets tiresome after awhile.

Miki (not a big fan of mine) does not perform well, but she normally skates clean and can easily come from behind. Best jumper of all the Ladies in any comp.

Rachael is lucky that the Nats will decide whether she goes to Worlds. I could tell by the warm-up, she was not into it by skating first.

reynycpr

On the Ice
Elegance and beauty win today.

I've said Ladies' results all depend on which twins show up. Surprisingly, Miki has an evil twin too.

Yea I think she just got back from vacation, flight was delayed but she just barely made it in time for the 3flip!

Hopefully Caro's and Alissa's are stranded at some airport... for the rest of the season! :p

L'amour

On the Ice
I'm so happy for Alissa :) she is having a really nice season. I wish her a great long program!!!

Nadine

Record Breaker
No, the ones whom skated *clean* win today, as it should be.

Miki & Rachael were off. When Miki skates clean with her 3/3s she will always win, but nobody can win against Yuna (or the old Mao). Rachael will never win unless she lands more jumps than her competitors, including a 3/3 combo. because she excels in the tech. component, not the presenation part, even though imho she does when it comes to interpretation. :)

Anyhow, I expect Rachael to withdraw, which she should've done from the beginning.

I won't watch the LPs, though I wish them all well, especially Alissa. I still don't want her on the World Team except if Rachael is too injured to compete (assuming Rachael makes the Team which seems iffy at this point), but I do wish her well, and I mean that. :)

GOOOOOOOOOO ALISSA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yea I think she just got back from vacation, flight was delayed but she just barely made it in time for the 3flip!

Hopefully Caro's and Alissa's are stranded at some airport... for the rest of the season! :p

Took me a second to realize you were referring to the evil twins. I thought you just hated Caro and a Alissa!

janetfan

Match Penalty
So funny to hear Alissa's motivation challenged and now the same poster is proclaiming her a lock for the Natl team. Wait for the LP before making such silly remarks - and remember Natls counts for more.

Anybody watching skating can see the coaching change has been good for Alissa and it is sort of disgusting to question her motivation......:mad:

Alissa, like the others does the best she can.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Anybody watching skating can see the coaching change has been good for Alissa.

Indeed. She is no longer the Alissa two or three years ago skating so slow that I felt like having an urge to push her from behind. Her basic skating skills have improved significantly to my eye. With the faster speed, her jumps become more secure.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Nadine why would Racheal withdraw. Is she injured? I know she had an injury at SA but I thought she was healed.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I thought Akiko was under-scored today--I would've placed her above Kanako at least.

And :eek: at Alissa and Caro in the top 2 positions after the SP! Revenge of the Headcases, indeed.

CassAgain

On the Ice
If Rachael really came into the competition not in top form and perhaps under-prepared, it would have smarter to stay home. Being almost 20 points out of first is terrible for her.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I thought Akiko was under-scored today--I would've placed her above Kanako at least.

And :eek: at Alissa and Caro in the top 2 positions after the SP! Revenge of the Headcases, indeed.

Kanako showed a 3x3 and a huge 3F. Her spins are not the best yet - but still a little better than Akiko.
But I can see your point - I like Akiko - but feel her strength (when clean) is in the LP.

I am old fashioned and still think the tech should count for more in the SP.
As to pcs - it is a matter of taste - with a heavy dose of Federation tugging.
Kanako appears to be the new golden girl from Japan. I am sure it is helping her as we see how much this matters in CoP scoring.

Last edited:

berrycute

On the Ice
Alissa has now 5, count them 5, super skates in the international Grand Prix, why on earth does she have to prove herself a Worlds contender at non-international US Nats? If she wins this (possible) and 3rd place at US Nats, very sad.

It's the best Carolina I've seen since she beat out Kwan in 2004 Worlds.

Akiko was very good on all counts, but performance wise, she was not the Lady from Malaga.

Murikama just wouldn't get serious. All that bouncing gets tiresome after awhile.

Miki (not a big fan of mine) does not perform well, but she normally skates clean and can easily come from behind. Best jumper of all the Ladies in any comp.

Rachael is lucky that the Nats will decide whether she goes to Worlds. I could tell by the warm-up, she was not into it by skating first.

Sorry to be so particular, but I think you mean 2005 worlds, when Carolina beat Michelle to the bronze medal. Michelle was 3rd to Carolina's 5th at 2004 worlds. And I think you also mean you are not a big fan of Miki, and not that she is not a big fan of you (who knows, if she reads the forum at goldenkate, she may very well be a huge fan of yours!)

Agree with your sentiments, Carolina looked great. She performs this music with much more gusto than Kimmie did back in 2008. I am also no big fan of the Kanako SP, it's a bit silly, but she has all the buzz right now and I think she's got a good chance of winning this, if Caro and Alissa stumble in the LP (as they have been known to do). I expect minor LP comebacks from Rachael and Miki, but I don't know if it will be enough to push them onto the podium.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Indeed. She is no longer the Alissa two or three years ago skating so slow that I felt like having an urge to push her from behind. Her basic skating skills have improved significantly to my eye. With the faster speed, her jumps become more secure.

This explains why I enjoyed (unexpectedly) Alissa so much tonight. I did use to appreciate her beautiful positions but otherwise I was like 'meh'

But tonight her skating had some sort of conviction and certainty. If it is skating skills it totally makes sense.

I enjoyed this segment tonight- Thank god after a very underwhelming ladies' events finally they're bringing the A games!