Men's Free Skate - 12/11 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate - 12/11

seniorita

Record Breaker
From all the japanese Dai out of podium, I would never have guessed it. Evangeline count me in for the goat party at Worlds.:)

well deserved win for Chan, I think this was his best skate of the season so far, but he could have won with less score for sure, he put his hands down (in axel?)and doubled his salcow, his toe was tight in landing, I dont get much of his own personality (thats subjective) in the choreo, I see the busy choreo jus and someone rushing through it to complete it, and by that he reached Takahashi's world record in Lp that was a great performance back then, I would think with this score the skate must have been great and inspiring if anything else. I m trying to be objective but after this score Oda could never have won even with the quad landed. I think Chan and not Dai is the new dominant figure, if he doesnt mess bad he wins. Ah well I wouldnt mind that if I enjoyed him more!
The rest needed to skate 150% perfect, I will never think Takahashi is overscored, his marks were fine and they get to earth if he is not that good, he messed and came last in fs..
Takahiko medaled at least, what a skater:love:

treeloving

Medalist
Well, to be fair, score inflation has been the norm for the past few seasons.

But I want to know who the judge in the first column is! That judge has balls, giving 7s to Patrick :laugh:

And to be fair it also seems to be the trend that judge at this event love to let winner win by large margin(Donbush for example), not only apllied to Chan.

skfan

Final Flight
from a dai fan, chan is amazing. looks like he covered the ice in 4 strokes. still want to see this program clean. he made me like phantom (or was that davis and white last season?).

i hope dai is ok. i'm worried about his health. just hope he skates a program he's happy with at worlds in japan.

evangeline

Record Breaker
i hope dai is ok. i'm worried about his health. just hope he skates a program he's happy with at worlds in japan.

Yeah, Daisuke looked pretty tired out there in the LP today...hopefully it wasn't because of the collision!

But I'm sure that Daisuke will finish the season as strongly as he did last year....he bombed the GPF last year too, didn't he?

Tanja90

On the Ice
Patrick really deserved this win but...THAT SCORE??? 87 (!!!!!!) for PCS for that program??? more than lambiel???? NO WAY!!
Heartbroken for Daisuke :(

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The evolution of Patrick Chan's season.

1. He won with four falls? Absolute outrage! Mafia style corruption!!!!! Polticking galore!!!!!!

2. He almost won with four falls? A rule did him in? Out with the Chan!!!!

3. He had one error and beat skaters who fel or had lesser technical contentl? He was overscored!!!!!

---- So, I predict by the World Team Trophy, we'll be saying he was correctly scored. It's funny to think that at the GPF 2008, Patrick Chan was an option in a "Who was the most UNDERSCORED poll" and he actually did quite well (aka, people thought he was underscored).

FWIW, I do think a nine is too much for interpretation. But that choreography is nuts! It's obviously too hard for him still (that 3z-1Lo-3S sequence in particular - has he ever landed that yet?) and there's so much content, but I love seeing him try. And even if if interpretation mark is too high, I definitely see improvement there since we first saw this at SC 2009 and even through this year. So I'm hopeful that this will become more than an athletic obstacle course by Worlds. And if it doesn't, you know what, I don't mind too much.

Tanja90

On the Ice
The evolution of Patrick Chan's season.

1. He won with four falls? Absolute outrage! Mafia style corruption!!!!! Polticking galore!!!!!!

2. He almost won with four falls? A rule did him in? Out with the Chan!!!!

3. He had one error and beat skaters who fel or had lesser technical contentl? He was overscored!!!!!

---- So, I predict by the World Team Trophy, we'll be saying he was correctly scored. It's funny to think that at the GPF 2008, Patrick Chan was an option in a "Who was the most UNDERSCORED poll" and he actually did quite well (aka, people thought he was underscored).

FWIW, I do think a nine is too much for interpretation. But that choreography is nuts! It's obviously too hard for him still (that 3z-1Lo-3S sequence in particular - has he ever landed that yet?) and there's so much content, but I love seeing him try. And even if if interpretation mark is too high, I definitely see improvement there since we first saw this at SC 2009 and even through this year. So I'm hopeful that this will become more than an athletic obstacle course by Worlds. And if it doesn't, you know what, I don't mind too much.

I'm not arguing his victory (I said he was the best today and fully deserved it) but in my opinion the score was too high...he is one of the most talented skater out there and deserves high PCS but not THAT high! He has a great choreography but he still doesn't live in it...if the PCS were around 81 I would have been ok but not 87...just IMO.
I'm not basing my thought on what I see from television but I was luck to see patrick, daisuke and lambiel live and there is a huge margin between the three...so yes..I think judges were too kind to him...

gmyers

Record Breaker
I thought Kozuka deserved to be closer to Chan but he came in 4th in the SP so there was nothing that could be done about getting Kozuka closer to Chan.

Verner didn't do a quad, he didn't do Lysacek's program. I am not sure what he was trying to accomplish here! Well I guess he didn't single any jump in the free skate and after he singled one in the SP he didn't want any kind of possibility for popping. No three jump combo - only two combos. Nationals is very obscure for him so maybe he'll try a quad already!

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Verner's first jump was a 3T, so I suspect he planned a 4T. So yes, we will see quads from Verner this season :)

Well, Patrick did skate the best, imo. I wasn't overwhelmed but given the flubs of others, it was Patrick's win. When we talk about the Worlds, I will include Patrick with all the top contenders we've just seen,. along with Joubert, Brezina, Contesti and Abbott. I would also include Rippon but the minimum required now is a Quad and we have to think about Reynolds.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Eyewitness Thoughts

While watching this at the arena, jotted down a few thoughts in real-time in my notebook. I have not had a chance to see the protocols yet, but I'm sure the devil is in the details.

Amodio: Music cuts for this program are jarring, and there is too much stopping and posing more exhibition-like than competition-worthy. But the crowd loves it, being familiar with the music, and at least Amodio being first up got their attention and enthusiasm going due to entertainment value. Not a bad program for him.

There is a long delay on scores, due to somebody throwing something unauthorized on the ice, and having to send out a team to clean things up, and announcer scolds the crowd.

Verner: A more "cerebral" less raw and more polished Michael Jackson than Amodio's. Looks like he wanted to do the 4T (he did a successful one in warm up!) but changed his mind and made it a 3T. FW works well for this program. Clean skate, but TES not going to hold up with the others, I fear. He is pretty well known and well loved by the local crowd, and hams it up. Obviously going to place above Amodio's skate.

Kozuka: Was that a 4T he tried and doublefooted? :eek: He continues on and gives a really good performance. This music and choreography works for him, and he should deserve high PCS for this. Throws it down to his two compatriots and Chan, still to skate.

Takahashi: Probably the most popular, crowd-favorite skater in the competition. On taking the ice, gets applause, hoots, hollers, wolf whistles, the works. Uh-oh, inauspicious start with a flubbed 3F, I think it was. Comes back with some good jumping until a bad fall on second 3A attempt. Ouch. Effective spin choices for this music, also complex footwork well-executed. Crap, a very strange flukey fall after completing his final jump. I think this won't win even with great PCS, unless both Chan and Oda essentially sit down on the ice. Too bad for him. :cry: Torrent of stuffed animals rain down upon the ice at conclusion.

Another short delay while more crap picked off ice. Sigh. This arena is full of ignorant rubes that can't follow simple instructions like "don't throw crap on the ice" and "no flash pictures". I won't even go into parents letting young children run and scream through the aisles, and people holding loud conversations during performances. Most of you are hopefully luckier not to have to deal with so much of this in your competitions....

Rant over. Back to Taka's scores--behind Kozuka's and rightfully so. Kozuka will medal!

Chan: As he takes the ice, my snarky inner voice wonders how many falls will it take him to win tonight? I proceed to be amazed as he rolls out an extremely solid program with no falls at all. Just a couple of bobbled landings on a 3A and 3Z. And he gets his quad in there, kudos to him for trying and succeeding. Quality spins and general skating. This is a well-done program and should go into first place. Performance comments: I would not say that he skated "through his music" tonight--it was better than that. But, there was something very "cold" about the program and his execution--I don't know how to express it in words. The audience appreciates the obvious quality, but is not emotionally invested in it, as they were with the previous 4 performances...even though this one had fewer flaws. It certainly wasn't worth an interpretation score greater than Takahashi's. Can't quibble with the placement though, although the score seems so high that I assume at least some judges gave him PCS of 9's (10?) :laugh:

Oda: Oh boy, once he fell on the 4T attempt, I said "game over." He powers through a checklist of jumps, mostly well-done, until a stupid 2A landed and then slipped and fell. :eek: Looks almost like he caught his heel, or edge in a rut or something. He loses a bit of gas after that, seems a bit disheartened and lost concentration. Nearly has a slip-fall again on some footwork. He looks like he can't believe what just happened to his program. An anticlimactic end to the Mens competition. I thought he might manage to stay on the podium....and he does, behind Chan which doesn't surprise me, but ahead of Kozuka which does surprise me. So he didn't totally lose out and given the mistakes, should be thankful it wasn't a worse outcome.

Surprise of night is Takahashi not on the podium. I think this podium ended up in the correct order, though one might raise a sky-high eyebrow to Chan's sky-high score. I mean, the guy only did a quad, not even a quad combo. :biggrin:

ETA: Forgot to mention, Frank Carroll was in a section below me, watching the entire Men's competition with keen interest. Maybe picking up some hot moves for his stable of skaters...or trying to figure out how to re-create the stratospheric Patrick Chan Scores.

Last edited:

Hikaru

Final Flight
Chan deserved to win.

That said, the score is an absolute joke. Especially the 9.00 for interpretation. This is one area where he is incredibly overrated. In general, his free was a bit lackluster, despite the no falls.

A very disappointing men's free.

9 for interpretation? who's he, Michael Crawford on skates? Well at least he didn't fall, but I don't think that score could be as high as almost breaking the world record, but what do I know.

So sorry for Dai-kun, I hope he does better at JapNat.

herios

Medalist
Verner's first jump was a 3T, so I suspect he planned a 4T. So yes, we will see quads from Verner this season :)

Verner said it in his conf call at his second event that he WILL ADD THE QUAD, later in the season. Fans hould be patient, the guy needed to build upconsistency after so many years iof inconsistent showing. His coach has a certain strategy and I think will be paying off for him in the long run.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Patrick, Oda and Taka. Lot of problems with Dai's FS today, not sure what is going on here.
At SA he had problems with his FS too, not as bad as today but errors nonetheless. Hope he can get back
on track.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Well, Patrick did skate the best, imo. I wasn't overwhelmed but given the flubs of others, it was Patrick's win. When we talk about the Worlds, I will include Patrick with all the top contenders we've just seen,. along with Joubert, Brezina, Contesti and Abbott. I would also include Rippon but the minimum required now is a Quad and we have to think about Reynolds.
Contesti??? How so? have you seen his last season and this one so far, his scores? He is not a medal contender, since the time he won a medal at Euros in 2008-2009 season I havent seen him on top of his game. Only at Filandia trophy he skated sort of well. And judges have dropped him. I would add Schultheiss rather Contesti on the Euro list.
Brezina is still injured , i dont know if he is back on ice. But he was watching GPF.

Layfan

Record Breaker
While watching this at the arena, jotted down a few thoughts in real-time in my notebook. I have not had a chance to see the protocols yet, but I'm sure the devil is in the details.

Amodio: Music cuts for this program are jarring, and there is too much stopping and posing more exhibition-like than competition-worthy. But the crowd loves it, being familiar with the music, and at least Amodio being first up got their attention and enthusiasm going due to entertainment value. Not a bad program for him.

There is a long delay on scores, due to somebody throwing something unauthorized on the ice, and having to send out a team to clean things up, and announcer scolds the crowd.

Verner: A more "cerebral" less raw and more polished Michael Jackson than Amodio's. Looks like he wanted to do the 4T (he did a successful one in warm up!) but changed his mind and made it a 3T. FW works well for this program. Clean skate, but TES not going to hold up with the others, I fear. He is pretty well known and well loved by the local crowd, and hams it up. Obviously going to place above Amodio's skate.

Kozuka: Was that a 4T he tried and doublefooted? :eek: He continues on and gives a really good performance. This music and choreography works for him, and he should deserve high PCS for this. Throws it down to his two compatriots and Chan, still to skate.

Takahashi: Probably the most popular, crowd-favorite skater in the competition. On taking the ice, gets applause, hoots, hollers, wolf whistles, the works. Uh-oh, inauspicious start with a flubbed 3F, I think it was. Comes back with some good jumping until a bad fall on second 3A attempt. Ouch. Effective spin choices for this music, also complex footwork well-executed. Crap, a very strange flukey fall after completing his final jump. I think this won't win even with great PCS, unless both Chan and Oda essentially sit down on the ice. Too bad for him. :cry: Torrent of stuffed animals rain down upon the ice at conclusion.

Another short delay while more crap picked off ice. Sigh. This arena is full of ignorant rubes that can't follow simple instructions like "don't throw crap on the ice" and "no flash pictures". I won't even go into parents letting young children run and scream through the aisles, and people holding loud conversations during performances. Most of you are hopefully luckier not to have to deal with so much of this in your competitions....

Rant over. Back to Taka's scores--behind Kozuka's and rightfully so. Kozuka will medal!

Chan: As he takes the ice, my snarky inner voice wonders how many falls will it take him to win tonight? I proceed to be amazed as he rolls out an extremely solid program with no falls at all. Just a couple of bobbled landings on a 3A and 3Z. And he gets his quad in there, kudos to him for trying and succeeding. Quality spins and general skating. This is a well-done program and should go into first place. Performance comments: I would not say that he skated "through his music" tonight--it was better than that. But, there was something very "cold" about the program and his execution--I don't know how to express it in words. The audience appreciates the obvious quality, but is not emotionally invested in it, as they were with the previous 4 performances...even though this one had fewer flaws. It certainly wasn't worth an interpretation score greater than Takahashi's. Can't quibble with the placement though, although the score seems so high that I assume at least some judges gave him PCS of 9's (10?)

Oda: Oh boy, once he fell on the 4T attempt, I said "game over." He powers through a checklist of jumps, mostly well-done, until a stupid 2A landed and then slipped and fell. :eek: Looks almost like he caught his heel, or edge in a rut or something. He loses a bit of gas after that, seems a bit disheartened and lost concentration. Nearly has a slip-fall again on some footwork. He looks like he can't believe what just happened to his program. An anticlimactic end to the Mens competition. I thought he might manage to stay on the podium....and he does, behind Chan which doesn't surprise me, but ahead of Kozuka which does surprise me. So he didn't totally lose out and given the mistakes, should be thankful it wasn't a worse outcome.

Surprise of night is Takahashi not on the podium. I think this podium ended up in the correct order, though one might raise a sky-high eyebrow to Chan's sky-high score. I mean, the guy only did a quad, not even a quad combo.

ETA: Forgot to mention, Frank Carroll was in a section below me, watching the entire Men's competition with keen interest. Maybe picking up some hot moves for his stable of skaters...or trying to figure out how to re-create the stratospheric Patrick Chan Scores.

:laugh:

Thanks, Big. My Internet connection is soooooooo sloooooowwwwwww. I've only had time to watch Alissa's SP and LP and Caro's SP. I really want to catch up on the rest of the women and the men and the juniors but it is taking foreeeeeeeverrrrr.

So, this account is awesome and so nice to hear about the crowd reaction and the announcer getting mad at the crowd is hilarious. Well, maybe not when you were there but reading about it is funny.

SOMEDAY I am determined to watch a skating competition LIVE.

Sounds like a bit of a lackluster comp. But I predict the men will be awesome come worlds and we will see some on fire-skating.

Frank was in the crowd? Did he have a skater at the competition somewhere? Or did he travel all the way to Beijing just to watch? Shouldn't he be off training Mirai? :think:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Caroll was there for C. Gong from juniors for sure, I dont know if he has anyone else.