Men's Free Skate - 12/11 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate - 12/11

oleada

Record Breaker
Chan deserved to win.

That said, the score is an absolute joke. Especially the 9.00 for interpretation. This is one area where he is incredibly overrated. In general, his free was a bit lackluster, despite the no falls.

A very disappointing men's free.

MissIzzy

Final Flight
And the winner is the guy who didn't fall down: Patrick Chan. Watching Oda limp off the ice, somewhat worried; he looks hurt somehow.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Nobunari Oda
156.22 FS
New SB
242.81 Overall
Second place

*sigh* Who would've thought that of all the Japanese men, Daisuke would be off the podium?

M

mylastduchess

poor Oda always second, that 2nd fall was totally unecessary

evangeline

Record Breaker
Chan deserved to win.

That said, the score is an absolute joke. Especially the 9.00 for interpretation. This is one area where he is incredibly overrated. In general, his free was a bit lackluster, despite the no falls.

A very disappointing men's free.

Yeah, the rough landings on some of his jumps didn't really add to the overall impression.

But to be honest, I'm just glad Patrick didn't win with four falls. Ah, the relief of low expectations!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah, the rough landings on some of his jumps didn't really add to the overall impression.

But to be honest, I'm just glad Patrick didn't win with four falls. Ah, the relief of low expectations![/QUOTE]

Yep me too. But this program still is blah to me. As someone said earlier, he just kinda skates through the music.

Hoping the Japanese men will come back strong at worlds. :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
I woke up late and only caught from Dai forward. But Patrick seemed to be skating very well and nice to see him win without a judging controversy.

oleada

Record Breaker
Yeah, Patrick doesn't really use the music all that well. he skates to it, but with no real emotion or understanding of it. I can understand the 9 for skating skills, but not interpretation.

It's just disappointing, you look at these skates and think, are these the skates that give you the second best total score ever? And the answer is obviously no.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Yep me too. But this program still is blah to me. As someone said earlier, he just kinda skates through the music.

What are you talking about, that's 9.00-type IN right there according to the judges!! :laugh:

Maybe the judges just mistook "IN" for "SS." That would make a lot more sense.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What are you talking about, that's 9.00-type IN right there according to the judges!! :laugh:

LOL.

Looking at hte protocals, it does seem Chan has a wider spread in PCS

SS - 7.75 to 9.25
Transitions - 7.25 to 9
Performance 7 to 9
Choreography 8 to 9.25
Interpt - 8.25 to 9.

Overall they're still high, but it's interesting that some of the judges don't quite buy the "Patrick Chan has skating skills give him high PCS" kool aid. Still is he really 10 points better in PCS than Kozuka? I will grant them five, but 10 seems a bit excessive.

auser

Record Breaker
I woke up late and only caught from Dai forward. But Patrick seemed to be skating very well and nice to see him win without a judging controversy.

In the K&C I thought I heard him in upbeat tone say "they didn't downgrade that quad". I think his coach replied "I think there's been some discussion"

Mirunna

Record Breaker
At least, this time Patrick was the clear winner. I do find his score to be a joke when you compare his program with Takahashi's program from 2008.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
At least, this time Patrick was the clear winner. I do find his score to be a joke when you compare his program with Takahashi's program from 2008.

Or heck when you compare it to his WC performance earlier this year. It's scary that he was thisclose to breaking a LP record. As someone said it was nowhere near Kozuka's TEB skate and he beat that!

evangeline

Record Breaker

Well, to be fair, score inflation has been the norm for the past few seasons.

But I want to know who the judge in the first column is! That judge has balls, giving 7s to Patrick :laugh:

wxyz1234533

Rinkside
I think there was only one judge who gave Chan low PCS scores. (the first one)
PCS scores from other judges were kind of even.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well, to be fair, score inflation has been the norm for the past few seasons.

But I want to know who the judge in the first column is! That judge has balls, giving 7s to Patrick :laugh:

Ah well he or she balance out the one that gave him all 9s!

^^^
I agree, Patrick was blah but so was everyone else. Even Florent with his bumps and grinds didn't get to me. It was Oda's to lose and he did. A clean program continues to elude Tomas. Takahiko was just so weariess. I hope Dai was skating with an injury because if not he just laid down 2 poor routines. No one exploded into greatness.

It seemed to me that all the boys had jump landing troubles. That's bad because the jump landings are a selling point.

There's a lot of work ahead of them if they intend to be competitive at Worlds. We have not seen others in the fierce battle: Joubert; Contesti; Brezina, Abbott.

The Quad won't win a competition but it is a staple in Men's competition. clean jump landings are a must too.

skatinginbc

Medalist
In the K&C I thought I heard him in upbeat tone say "they didn't downgrade that quad". I think his coach replied "I think there's been some discussion"

"I think there's been some discussion" was probably referring to the controversial downgrade for the quad in his short program. According to the discussion board of International Skating Union, some people reviewed the jump in slow motion multiple times and believed it should have been called otherwise. Anyway, it was probably on the borderline. Given that, it is understandable that Patrick would feel extra happy that "they didn't downgrade that quad".