Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Ladies Free Skate - 12/11

Quote Originally Posted by islandpaddler View Post
    I am still smiling about Alissa. This is the lovliest thing I've seen since I last watched Michelle skate.
    Thanks for posting, and welcome.

I see you have been a member since 2006. I am glad Alissa's wowser brought you out.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Big to your comment. Un-friggin-believable. Sasha looked scary horrible to me, way too thin, and she's naturally a toothpick on the fattest day she ever had. Terrible model to follow. I agree there are entirely too many comments floating on this board about Rachael needing to trim down--that is NOT where Rachael's current issues lie. And if she reads these boards and sees these comments, I hope she uses the brain and intellect that Stanford is expecting to arrive at their doorstep, has a good laugh on us, and proceeds to ignore anybody making said comments. After seeing her earlier today LIVE at GPF final, she is NOT BIG at all and she isn't carrying around a tub of lard anywhere on her body.

I'd rather see an elite skater walk away from the sport for good rather than put their health at risk, whether due to weight control issues or due to back/hip/knee/foot or other problems.
    Interesting, I feel this way about the Japanese skaters. Akiko is so skinny now that I can't imagine what she must have looked like when she was anorexic. Miki used to have a gorgeous womanly figure, but now she has sticks for legs and you can see all her ribs in her open back FS costume and from the side she is like a few inches wide. No wonder she can't get 3lz-3t ratified, I mean she has so little muscle. And you can tell she's trying to hide her thinness too in those matronly costumes with the long skirts. Same for Mao, she is too skinny. She has always been thin but last year it went overboard IMO, her arms and legs are so thin. She used to have those nice broad shoulders too but now she looks like some emaciated model not an elite athlete. And then there was Shizuka who also had a gorgeous womanly figure and then became a stick right after she won Olympic gold. I think there's something going on with the Japanese ladies team, and it isn't good. Kanako and Haruka are the only ones who look healthy to me and I'm sure in a few years they will get the emaciated look Mao and Miki are currently rocking, or the big elbows and knees look Akiko has.

Alissa got a lot thinner but looking at her face she seems ok, I will say the same about Yuna too. Rachael isn't fat in the slightest and she's honestly what an elite athlete should look like, Joannie too. They have muscles.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    Someone wants people to show up looking like Sasha did at 2010 Nationals??? That was the thinnest that I've ever seen her. It was almost alarming. No wonder she didn't have the strength for those jumps in a long program.
    Yeah I remember NBC showed Mirai giving Sasha a hug, and Mirai, who is quite the petite girl herself, looked like Venus Williams compared to Sasha. No one should strive to look like what Sasha looked like at 2010 nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    You are so funny, and I like it. Happy for Alissa. Hope she will do well at World.
    Although she won over the Worlds top lady's skaters, it's not certain she will be at Worlds. There's the US Nationals in which she must place either 1st or 2nd. Will she? Think Nagasu, Zhang, Wagner, Zawadski, Gilles. Even if she places 3rd, she's out.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by katymay View Post
    I was going to post on this before, but it is a sensitive issue, and my last post on the subject warranted a "warning". There is a big purple elephant in the room, and I guess we are all going to pretend it doesn't exist-especially in Japan. Watching Mao last week, I wanted to cry. Mao's muscles have disappeared-becaue MAO has disappeared. She has no strength or energy, might one guess WHY? And Mao is not the only representative of Japan who has taken this road.
    So as far as Rachel: I like her just the way she is, thank you very much. I think the skaters from Japan are a far bigger tragedy, and I wonder when and if the issue is ever going to be properly addressed. We said nothing about Midori Ito when she disappeared, and it seems that nothing ever changes.
    Well said. Ever wonder why Miki is so boring now, her jumps are prone to UR, her footwork sequences are so slow, and she lacks the attack and energy she had in 2007? I know I do. And what about Mao, who used to reel off 3as 3-3s with ease, and now has major problems with her jumps and runs out of steam at the end of her FS. Same issue.

Saying Rachael should lose weight and look like the Japanese skaters is just asking for trouble. I bet if she lost 10 pounds she'd loose most of her jumps and would be much more boring than she is now. So please, leave her alone. I know she did bad at this competition but it's one competition. I can't believe that after one competition people are labeling Rachael as the bad fat girl who should quit skating and go to college and Alissa as the savior and future of US figure skating, a definite lock for the World team AND a medal at Worlds. Come on people, a little perspective? It's one competition, these skaters are only human, and poor Rachael has been battling a serious injury and lost a lot of training time.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Well said. Ever wonder why Miki is so boring now, her jumps are prone to UR, her footwork sequences are so slow, and she lacks the attack and energy she had in 2007? I know I do. And what about Mao, who used to reel off 3as 3-3s with ease, and now has major problems with her jumps and runs out of steam at the end of her FS. Same issue.

Saying Rachael should lose weight and look like the Japanese skaters is just asking for trouble. I bet if she lost 10 pounds she'd loose most of her jumps and would be much more boring than she is now. So please, leave her alone. I know she did bad at this competition but it's one competition. I can't believe that after one competition people are labeling Rachael as the bad fat girl who should quit skating and go to college and Alissa as the savior and future of US figure skating, a definite lock for the World team AND a medal at Worlds. Come on people, a little perspective? It's one competition, these skaters are only human, and poor Rachael has been battling a serious injury and lost a lot of training time.
    Miki was never very interesting to begin with. I don't know why you keep on harping on the weight of the Japanese skaters and then say Alyssa and Yuna are okay because of their faces?

Rinkside
    Rachel's not heavy, in fact she's quite petite. I have seen her live, skating and just hanging out. It is the most bizarre thing to me. On TV she does look heavy but she's not at all! I do think if her body allows, some definition to her muscle would look better but IMO it's bad skating posture, inability to finish her lines, and an overall sloppiness to her skating that gives the viewers the impression that she's heavy. Not to mention, she does skate "heavy", meaning she doesn't float across the ice.

WOW Congrats to Alissa! US National Champion and her first international major title, ISU GRAND PRIX FINAL CHAMPION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Miki was never very interesting to begin with. I don't know why you keep on harping on the weight of the Japanese skaters and then say Alyssa and Yuna are okay because of their faces?
    Yuna and Alissa have always been stick thin. Shizuka, Miki, Akiko, and even Mao haven't. That is the difference. Also, Yuna and Alissa have visible muscles, they have biceps and quads, which Mao and Miki don't have. Alissa also has a very small frame, but Mao and Miki are bigger boned. Yuna and Alissa have filled out since they were 16, Mao and Miki have gotten thinner since they were 16....

I think all the skaters are now aiming to look regal ala Yu-Na kim!

When you look incredibly beautiful with great costumes and skate like a queen, you get really high PCS scores

I've seen big improvements for MIKI,

Carolina's height and gorgeous costumes has been one big way for her to score big points in the past and she looks very model like and regal so she has an edge. She has improved a lot in terms of her artistry and I really am starting to love her. She knows how to pace the jumps and knows when to do them so that she can get bigger scores.

Alissa looks like a vision on the ice, a goddess of beauty. She looks like a young queen and her skating has always been lovely. Finally she is receiving what she is supposed to receive. The costumes are amazing, she looks exquisite. The edging has improved a lot, jumps have become better, higher and more stable but has a little room for improvement. The flow and speed is exemplary and those spins the best in the business. She is incredible. Hope that she can keep on improving for the better and I hope she would be able to do well at the Worlds, surely Nationals needs to be decided, but by winning this event, it really means something else.

I think Adelina Sotnikova also belongs to these gorgeous swans like Yu-Na and Alissa!

I think Mirai also belongs in this category but has gained some weight the past few months.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by christinaskater View Post
    I think Adelina Sotnikova also belongs to these gorgeous swans like Yu-Na and Alissa!

I think Mirai also belongs in this category but has gained some weight the past few months.
    Mirai looks great, she's grown into a young lady and looks healthy.

Adelina is pretty but I wish she'd do something with her eyebrows. They make her look a little boyish. Liza though is gorgeous, as is Christina Gao!

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Yuna and Alissa have always been stick thin. Shizuka, Miki, Akiko, and even Mao haven't. That is the difference. Also, Yuna and Alissa have visible muscles, they have biceps and quads, which Mao and Miki don't have. Alissa also has a very small frame, but Mao and Miki are bigger boned. Yuna and Alissa have filled out since they were 16, Mao and Miki have gotten thinner since they were 16....
    Some girls do get thinner as they age, while others go the reverse. To me, Miki's weight hasn't changed much since 2007. She had more weight when she was younger but I know girls who were chubby when they were younger but became very thin after puberty. Also, weight doesn't necessarily correlate with lack of energy. Rachel looks normal and healthy but she also lacks energy.
    Last edited by miki88; 12-11-2010 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by christinaskater View Post

Alissa looks like a vision on the ice, a goddess of beauty. She looks like a young queen...

...specifically, like Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday.
    Last edited by Mathman; 12-11-2010 at 11:26 PM.

Custom Title

On a positive note: the level of competition

I think the fact that the top 5 ladies scored above 115 in the FS (and with the reduced points from the removal of the spiral sequence and the new GOEs) goes to show how high the standard was this GPF.

The next highest number of ladies scoring above 115 in the FS was three, in the past three seasons (07-08, 08-09, 09-10).

Really loved the competition.

*all smiles*

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast