Ladies Free Skate - 12/11 | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Ladies Free Skate - 12/11

skatinginbc

Medalist
Alissa's performance was not even close to clean. Not only did she stumbled out of the double axel, but her triple flip was downgraded, and her triple toe was repeated without a combo so was counted as a sequence and lost points. She also did not do 3 jump combos or a 3 jump combo. She didnt even win the long program phase.

That's even better. She still has room for improvement and her scores can potentially go even higher.

janetfan

Match Penalty
That's even better. She still has room for improvement and her scores can potentially go even higher.

You know that is very true. I enjoyed Aliss'as beautiful skating - but the truth is she can still skate much better.
It is coming and when it does the others better watch out. :rock:

reynycpr

On the Ice

Yea I tried to see what score she could approximately max-out in the LP and if you take away the mistakes and replace them with what was supposed to be done, she has a 122+ LP on her hands. I think 64+ might be the max she could get with a clean SP (in international events that is)...so we are looking at a possible total overall score potential of 186+. That could be a stretch for many skating fans to contemplate but Czisny has at least shown that she IS capable of great scores, and with only 6 points off of that, its just putting it to the ice that stands in her way...but what a great step in the right direction.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Yea I tried to see what score she could approximately max-out in the LP and if you take away the mistakes and replace them with what was supposed to be done, she has a 122+ LP on her hands. I think 64+ might be the max she could get with a clean SP (in international events that is)...so we are looking at a possible total overall score potential of 186+. That could be a stretch for many skating fans to contemplate but Czisny has at least shown that she IS capable of great scores, and with only 6 points off of that, its just putting it to the ice that stands in her way...but what a great step in the right direction.

And if she managed that probably the only one who would beat her this year is Yu Na Kim.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
It would be hilarious (hilariously awesome?) if Alissa went to Worlds and won, after coming 10th at Nationals last year

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
blue_idealist, I'm sorry I didn't send you the memo, but Alissa will be medalling at Worlds this year. I said at the beginning of the season that this would be her Wylie year and she agrees.:)

R.D.

Record Breaker
blue_idealist, I'm sorry I didn't send you the memo, but Alissa will be medalling at Worlds this year. I said at the beginning of the season that this would be her Wylie year and she agrees.:)

Wow now we're getting grand, aren't we? ;) Although it would be great if it DID happen...

She has to make it first. Nagasu & Flatt will be chasing her down. Wagner too. Nothing's a done deal...

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Big :disagree: to your comment. Un-friggin-believable. Sasha looked scary horrible to me, way too thin, and she's naturally a toothpick on the fattest day she ever had. Terrible model to follow. I agree there are entirely too many comments floating on this board about Rachael needing to trim down--that is NOT where Rachael's current issues lie. And if she reads these boards and sees these comments, I hope she uses the brain and intellect that Stanford is expecting to arrive at their doorstep, has a good laugh on us, and proceeds to ignore anybody making said comments. After seeing her earlier today LIVE at GPF final, she is NOT BIG at all and she isn't carrying around a tub of lard anywhere on her body.

I'd rather see an elite skater walk away from the sport for good rather than put their health at risk, whether due to weight control issues or due to back/hip/knee/foot or other problems.

Interesting, I feel this way about the Japanese skaters. Akiko is so skinny now that I can't imagine what she must have looked like when she was anorexic. Miki used to have a gorgeous womanly figure, but now she has sticks for legs and you can see all her ribs in her open back FS costume and from the side she is like a few inches wide. No wonder she can't get 3lz-3t ratified, I mean she has so little muscle. And you can tell she's trying to hide her thinness too in those matronly costumes with the long skirts. Same for Mao, she is too skinny. She has always been thin but last year it went overboard IMO, her arms and legs are so thin. She used to have those nice broad shoulders too but now she looks like some emaciated model not an elite athlete. And then there was Shizuka who also had a gorgeous womanly figure and then became a stick right after she won Olympic gold. I think there's something going on with the Japanese ladies team, and it isn't good. Kanako and Haruka are the only ones who look healthy to me and I'm sure in a few years they will get the emaciated look Mao and Miki are currently rocking, or the big elbows and knees look Akiko has.

Alissa got a lot thinner but looking at her face she seems ok, I will say the same about Yuna too. Rachael isn't fat in the slightest and she's honestly what an elite athlete should look like, Joannie too. They have muscles.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Someone wants people to show up looking like Sasha did at 2010 Nationals??? That was the thinnest that I've ever seen her. It was almost alarming. No wonder she didn't have the strength for those jumps in a long program.

Yeah I remember NBC showed Mirai giving Sasha a hug, and Mirai, who is quite the petite girl herself, looked like Venus Williams compared to Sasha. No one should strive to look like what Sasha looked like at 2010 nationals.

You are so funny, and I like it. Happy for Alissa. Hope she will do well at World.
Although she won over the Worlds top lady's skaters, it's not certain she will be at Worlds. There's the US Nationals in which she must place either 1st or 2nd. Will she? Think Nagasu, Zhang, Wagner, Zawadski, Gilles. Even if she places 3rd, she's out.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I was going to post on this before, but it is a sensitive issue, and my last post on the subject warranted a "warning". There is a big purple elephant in the room, and I guess we are all going to pretend it doesn't exist-especially in Japan. Watching Mao last week, I wanted to cry. Mao's muscles have disappeared-becaue MAO has disappeared. She has no strength or energy, might one guess WHY? And Mao is not the only representative of Japan who has taken this road.
So as far as Rachel: I like her just the way she is, thank you very much. I think the skaters from Japan are a far bigger tragedy, and I wonder when and if the issue is ever going to be properly addressed. We said nothing about Midori Ito when she disappeared, and it seems that nothing ever changes.

Well said. Ever wonder why Miki is so boring now, her jumps are prone to UR, her footwork sequences are so slow, and she lacks the attack and energy she had in 2007? I know I do. And what about Mao, who used to reel off 3as 3-3s with ease, and now has major problems with her jumps and runs out of steam at the end of her FS. Same issue.

Saying Rachael should lose weight and look like the Japanese skaters is just asking for trouble. I bet if she lost 10 pounds she'd loose most of her jumps and would be much more boring than she is now. So please, leave her alone. I know she did bad at this competition but it's one competition. I can't believe that after one competition people are labeling Rachael as the bad fat girl who should quit skating and go to college and Alissa as the savior and future of US figure skating, a definite lock for the World team AND a medal at Worlds. Come on people, a little perspective? It's one competition, these skaters are only human, and poor Rachael has been battling a serious injury and lost a lot of training time.

miki88

Medalist
Well said. Ever wonder why Miki is so boring now, her jumps are prone to UR, her footwork sequences are so slow, and she lacks the attack and energy she had in 2007? I know I do. And what about Mao, who used to reel off 3as 3-3s with ease, and now has major problems with her jumps and runs out of steam at the end of her FS. Same issue.

Saying Rachael should lose weight and look like the Japanese skaters is just asking for trouble. I bet if she lost 10 pounds she'd loose most of her jumps and would be much more boring than she is now. So please, leave her alone. I know she did bad at this competition but it's one competition. I can't believe that after one competition people are labeling Rachael as the bad fat girl who should quit skating and go to college and Alissa as the savior and future of US figure skating, a definite lock for the World team AND a medal at Worlds. Come on people, a little perspective? It's one competition, these skaters are only human, and poor Rachael has been battling a serious injury and lost a lot of training time.

Miki was never very interesting to begin with. I don't know why you keep on harping on the weight of the Japanese skaters and then say Alyssa and Yuna are okay because of their faces? :rolleye:

kssk8fan

Spectator
Rachel's not heavy, in fact she's quite petite. I have seen her live, skating and just hanging out. It is the most bizarre thing to me. On TV she does look heavy but she's not at all! I do think if her body allows, some definition to her muscle would look better but IMO it's bad skating posture, inability to finish her lines, and an overall sloppiness to her skating that gives the viewers the impression that she's heavy. Not to mention, she does skate "heavy", meaning she doesn't float across the ice.

christinaskater

Medalist
WOW Congrats to Alissa! US National Champion and her first international major title, ISU GRAND PRIX FINAL CHAMPION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Miki was never very interesting to begin with. I don't know why you keep on harping on the weight of the Japanese skaters and then say Alyssa and Yuna are okay because of their faces? :rolleye:

Yuna and Alissa have always been stick thin. Shizuka, Miki, Akiko, and even Mao haven't. That is the difference. Also, Yuna and Alissa have visible muscles, they have biceps and quads, which Mao and Miki don't have. Alissa also has a very small frame, but Mao and Miki are bigger boned. Yuna and Alissa have filled out since they were 16, Mao and Miki have gotten thinner since they were 16....

christinaskater

Medalist
I think all the skaters are now aiming to look regal ala Yu-Na kim!

When you look incredibly beautiful with great costumes and skate like a queen, you get really high PCS scores

I've seen big improvements for MIKI,

Carolina's height and gorgeous costumes has been one big way for her to score big points in the past and she looks very model like and regal so she has an edge. She has improved a lot in terms of her artistry and I really am starting to love her. She knows how to pace the jumps and knows when to do them so that she can get bigger scores.

Alissa looks like a vision on the ice, a goddess of beauty. She looks like a young queen and her skating has always been lovely. Finally she is receiving what she is supposed to receive. The costumes are amazing, she looks exquisite. The edging has improved a lot, jumps have become better, higher and more stable but has a little room for improvement. The flow and speed is exemplary and those spins the best in the business. She is incredible. Hope that she can keep on improving for the better and I hope she would be able to do well at the Worlds, surely Nationals needs to be decided, but by winning this event, it really means something else.