Ladies Free Skate - 12/11 | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Ladies Free Skate - 12/11

christinaskater

Medalist
I think Adelina Sotnikova also belongs to these gorgeous swans like Yu-Na and Alissa!

I think Mirai also belongs in this category but has gained some weight the past few months.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Adelina Sotnikova also belongs to these gorgeous swans like Yu-Na and Alissa!

I think Mirai also belongs in this category but has gained some weight the past few months.

Mirai looks great, she's grown into a young lady and looks healthy.

Adelina is pretty but I wish she'd do something with her eyebrows. They make her look a little boyish. Liza though is gorgeous, as is Christina Gao!

miki88

Medalist
Yuna and Alissa have always been stick thin. Shizuka, Miki, Akiko, and even Mao haven't. That is the difference. Also, Yuna and Alissa have visible muscles, they have biceps and quads, which Mao and Miki don't have. Alissa also has a very small frame, but Mao and Miki are bigger boned. Yuna and Alissa have filled out since they were 16, Mao and Miki have gotten thinner since they were 16....

Some girls do get thinner as they age, while others go the reverse. To me, Miki's weight hasn't changed much since 2007. She had more weight when she was younger but I know girls who were chubby when they were younger but became very thin after puberty. Also, weight doesn't necessarily correlate with lack of energy. Rachel looks normal and healthy but she also lacks energy.

Last edited:

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
On a positive note: the level of competition

I think the fact that the top 5 ladies scored above 115 in the FS (and with the reduced points from the removal of the spiral sequence and the new GOEs) goes to show how high the standard was this GPF.

The next highest number of ladies scoring above 115 in the FS was three, in the past three seasons (07-08, 08-09, 09-10).

Really loved the competition.

*all smiles*

All the posts about Miki Ando being slow, uninteresting, lacking in enthusiasm, etc. -- let's not forget that she just won the LP, whupping up on Czisny, Kanako, Kostner and Suzuki .

Not to mention she was the only lady to win both of her GP events.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
All the posts about Miki Ando being slow, uninteresting, lacking in enthusiasm, etc. -- let's not forget that she just won the LP, whupping up on Czisny, Kanako, Kostner and Suzuki .

Yeah but she was still only 5th here. Tough field. Miki's got some work to do. That triple flip really seems to be giving her fits. She might be better off doing 3lz-2lo and 3lo as her SP layout.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Aw, I just watched Miki's FS finally. It was so great to see her reaction and smile at the end. I didn't think her presentation was THAT bad like some people are making it out to be.

I like her program (and her costume) and I sort of see now what she meant at the beginning of the season about how she was just going to show off what she likes about skating - meaning her program was going to be about the jumps. The program is definitely choreographed to highlight her jumps - most seem to come on the crescendo.

She could skate it with more verve and freedom. But she might get there. If she does it might be kind of like watching a big Hollywood action film - you know where the dialogue and all that stuff is all fine and good - but you're really there for the big bangs :biggrin:

Hopefully that back injury will start to heal :eek:hwell:

I also finally watched Caro (I'm telling you my Internet is being frustrating slow and unreliable) and she was gorg-eous. (funny her reaction was similar to Alissa's: her face said omigod, I DID it!!!) I think this program brings out the best in her and she's never looked more elegant. If she puts her flip in by the end of the season - watch out!!

Congrats to all of these ladies. I'm sure Miki's season will improve.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I agree Carolina was absolutely gorgeous, I actually think I preferred her FS to Alissa's, who was also quite lovely herself. Had Carolina not popped the loop she would have won! Miki was pretty good too, her jumps are just so wonderful - crisp, clean, light. Akiko and Kanako were great too, but I personally don't like Kanako's FS very much. It's a bit boring and I think she shines more in her SP.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

So that just means she was overscored which is hardly anything new. And she is lucky to be getting as many opportunities as she has since if the real big girls were around she wouldnt be winning squat, she would be a bystander like in Vancouver and Torino last year. As it was even with a free pass to the GP final title in this field she still came 5th. Add to that Kim soon to be back, Asada hopefully back at her best, Korpi getting stronger, and Nagasu and Lepisto hopefully back at 100% soon, and Andos fun for the season is probably already over. Kostner with several mistakes in the long and a bunch of triple toes still easily beat Ando with a couple mistakes in the short and short and long programs with all the hardest triples. Junior skater Murakami with a couple mistakes over both programs (in the long) easily beat Ando with a couple mistakes over both programs (in the short) too.

Last edited:

cooper

Medalist

That's true, she just messed up her sp if not she would have won!!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
That's true, she just messed up her sp if not she would have won!!

and if Czisny and Murakami had not made any mistakes she wouldnt have even won the LP despite her clean skate.

And if Kostner had been doing all the triples she would have won both programs here, probably even with some minor mistakes.

And if the Kim was skating and at atleast 70% now nobody would be talking about Ando having any chance to win events like this right now. Or if Asada didnt decide to rework her entire jump technique, or if Rochette (who easily beat her at the Japan Open with no training) were competing, or possibly if Lepisto or Nagasu were healthy even.

And if Suzuki had skated a cleaner LP she wouldnt have won either of her GP events either.

Last edited:

alexeifan

On the Ice
p.s. and OMG, how could I forget Sasha Cohen showing up at 2010 US Nationals and looking like that!!!! :eek: :thumbsup:

Now that's the definition of C-U-T. She could've honestly entered a body building competition and won! That's how phenomenal/fantastic she looked! I still can't get over it. She could give Joannie Rochette & Denise Biellmann together a run for their money. My bet's on Sasha. I wish one of the American ladies would take this route and show up at Nationals like that. Whoa!

This is a very disturbing comment. I think you're being too into the weight of the skaters. Let's concentrate on the skating shall we as we well know there are plenty of skaters who do well and are all different sizes. We seem not to discuss the weight of the men barely at all do we?

chloepoco

Medalist
So that just means she was overscored which is hardly anything new. And she is lucky to be getting as many opportunities as she has since if the real big girls were around she wouldnt be winning squat, she would be a bystander like in Vancouver and Torino last year. As it was even with a free pass to the GP final title in this field she still came 5th. Add to that Kim soon to be back, Asada hopefully back at her best, Korpi getting stronger, and Nagasu and Lepisto hopefully back at 100% soon, and Andos fun for the season is probably already over. Kostner with several mistakes in the long and a bunch of triple toes still easily beat Ando with a couple mistakes in the short and short and long programs with all the hardest triples. Junior skater Murakami with a couple mistakes over both programs (in the long) easily beat Ando with a couple mistakes over both programs (in the short) too.

pangtongfan, I can't help but feel like you have some sort of personal grudge against Miki or something. She obviously is not as bad as you make her out to be.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
pangtongfan, I can't help but feel like you have some sort of personal grudge against Miki or something. She obviously is not as bad as you make her out to be.

I dont have a personal grudge against any skater. People said that about Chan as well but I gave him his dues in the past and did again when he deservedly blew away the field (especialy in the LP) and won gold at this Grand Prix final.

I just tell things like it is. Miki seems to be way overrated by people in this thread and on this forum. She is a past her prime skater who cant even do all the jumps she used to do, and who even in her prime needed the 2 skates of her life and the 2 best skaters bombing one program each to win a World title. She is doing well this season by a combination of skating well but mostly the depleted field. Lets fact it, there is no way anything she has put out would be getting her grand prix wins or making her favored to win events like the GP final if Kim were there and everyone else was there and healthy and skating decently. That is just a fact. And it silly that so many in this thread say if he skated her short program better, when the silver and bronze medalists made as many mistakes in the long as she did in the short, and the silver medalist had much lesser content, and they still both beat her. If the medalists beat her since she made mistakes in the SP, she only won the LP since others made mistakes as well, and if the real big girls were there there wouldnt be all this silly talk of her being the dominant skater which some seem to think even after placing 5th at a depleted Grand Prix final with a clean long program (and nobody else skating clean in both programs either). Not to mention even considering her winning the LP over this field would show if she does a good SP she could ever beat someone like Yu Na Kim. :laugh:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ladies are by far the most unpredictable discipline this season, the first time it's been that way since the 2008-2009 season when we learned that Yu-Na Kim would finally be attending the World Championship injury-free. The World Championship is still WIDE OPEN at the moment!

Last edited:

cooper

Medalist
I dont have a personal grudge against any skater. People said that about Chan as well but I gave him his dues in the past and did again when he deservedly blew away the field (especialy in the LP) and won gold at this Grand Prix final.

I just tell things like it is. Miki seems to be way overrated by people in this thread and on this forum. She is a past her prime skater who cant even do all the jumps she used to do, and who even in her prime needed the 2 skates of her life and the 2 best skaters bombing one program each to win a World title. She is doing well this season by a combination of skating well but mostly the depleted field. Lets fact it, there is no way anything she has put out would be getting her grand prix wins or making her favored to win events like the GP final if Kim were there and everyone else was there and healthy and skating decently. That is just a fact. And it silly that so many in this thread say if he skated her short program better, when the silver and bronze medalists made as many mistakes in the long as she did in the short, and the silver medalist had much lesser content, and they still both beat her. If the medalists beat her since she made mistakes in the SP, she only won the LP since others made mistakes as well, and if the real big girls were there there wouldnt be all this silly talk of her being the dominant skater which some seem to think even after placing 5th at a depleted Grand Prix final with a clean long program (and nobody else skating clean in both programs either). Not to mention even considering her winning the LP over this field would show if she does a good SP she could ever beat someone like Yu Na Kim. :laugh:

pangtongfan, don't jinx Yuna!! :disapp: You can go to other Evan threads, and worship him there.

It's not easy to compete.

Like in any competition, anything can happen.

Last edited:

islandpaddler

On the Ice
Country
US-Virgin-Islands
Thanks for posting, and welcome. :)

I see you have been a member since 2006. I am glad Alissa's wowser brought you out. :rock:

It's not that I haven't been reading, but really, I haven't found much to write about. I am still blown away by the fact that Alissa won, and since I'm here in the Caribbean, being a figure skating fan is a lonely road so I have no one around who shares my excitement. So, thanks to you all for providing a community of like-minded folks even if I'm only reading.

Lily.Grace

Rinkside
Some girls do get thinner as they age, while others go the reverse. To me, Miki's weight hasn't changed much since 2007. She had more weight when she was younger but I know girls who were chubby when they were younger but became very thin after puberty. Also, weight doesn't necessarily correlate with lack of energy. Rachel looks normal and healthy but she also lacks energy.

Yeah I totally agree with you, I don't know why people keep talking about this weight thing, it has nothing to do with strength and energy. Sasha was so thin but so strong! And jumps are not the only element hat need strength; if you think about ballerinas, they're all extremely thin but incredibly strong and powerful. And everyone has a different type of body, so in my opinion it doesn't mean anything at all. And I don't think Mao's problem is a weight problem at all.

And about Alissa, she's a beautiful skater, but I don't really like her programmes, they do not bring a theme or a story on the ice, she's just trying to be elegant and graceful, that's it, so that's why I can never remember her programmes...:(