Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies Free Skate - 12/11

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Kostner: How does she score that high with relatively little tech content?!?
    You clearly are only paying attention to her attempted jumps. Caro has some of the best spins and footwork in the world. She easily has the best footwork of any other skater in this event and I would say she is only behind Alissa here when it comes to spins. TES is the combined scores of jumps, spins, and footwork, and Caro deservedly receives high levels and grades of execution marks on her spins and footwork.

Custom Title
    Based on Body of Work presented by the US ladies so far this season, and extrapolating on what is likely to come out on the ice at US Nationals, I'd say the strongest 2 ladies the US can send to Worlds would be Czisny and Nagasu. I think Flatt is on the downswing, injury or no. Wagner might be the only one who could pull herself together as a complete package, but she's yet to step up and deliver this season. I'm not seeing any other US Sr ladies that the international judges would be willing to give the scores to (assuming great skates, of course).

Absolutely thrilled for Alissa! So exciting for her and fans of the U.S. ladies.

I continue to be baffled by the decisions of Team Flatt. Maybe this will be what it takes for her to decide to make some changes (that she should have made two years ago.)

Custom Title
    I didn't think much of this but an American lady winning a big event is refreshing! Let's hope this is a beginning of a revival of interest in skating in the states.

Btw the trivia quiz was so much fun. I was going "Mao and... Shizuka? Oh Fumie!!!" and also looking back at the intense rivalry between Kwan and Lipinski back in '97!

Custom Title
    I didn't want to be spoiled so I avoided reading this thread until I had seen the skates on YouTube, and...I AM BEYOND THRILLED THAT ALISSA WON!!!

Thank goodness that she finally pulled out a relatively clean FS and at the right time, too. You could see how relieved she was at the end. So, Alissa is now a National champion, GPF champion...Olympic champion might be too much of a monumental task for her, but can we dare hope that she might one day become World champion?

As for Kanako - I actually enjoyed her LP this time around, so perhaps there's still hope that I could eventually become a convert.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    You clearly are only paying attention to her attempted jumps. Caro has some of the best spins and footwork in the world. She easily has the best footwork of any other skater in this event and I would say she is only behind Alissa here when it comes to spins. TES is the combined scores of jumps, spins, and footwork, and Caro deservedly receives high levels and grades of execution marks on her spins and footwork.
    I can see where you're going with this, and I think she had a lovely program, but I think she should have not been as close to Alissa in the LP. Alissa only beat her about .5 of a point. She and Alissa had nearly the same TES and Alissa only beat her by a point. I think PCS is about right, but I think Caro got some extra GOE in the tech.

And I definitely think that Akiko was underscored in PCS.

Custom Title
    No, I was there and paying attention to everything. Her spins were 2nd best at this competition, after Alyssa. And her footwork was good but not so exceptionally great that it should make up for lack of key jumps. Sorry, sounds like you are making excuses for her (or more accurately, for the judging). I stand by my earlier comments. If the jumps are not going to be that important--than let's have ALL the ladies dispense with the triple flip, lutz, and axels....and just have them work on spins and footwork so they can be as good as Carolina. Bottom line: she is an INCOMPLETE skater at the present time.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    C'mon Janet Fan. I never mentioned the word TOP of the World. I just said the STRONGEST US Skater. Not at all the same thing.

Well, Alissa will be on home turf and skating in competiton with a lot of familiar faces. And all those American judges who have their own mind about the Team for Worlds.

That wont scare her and nobody but nobody can spin like Alissa who racks up points even when she down in the dumps with jumping.
    But just in case you do not have a mind of your own and have to rely on the American judges to select the Team, well that's ok. I know enough about what I saw today from the international judges who imo, could have picked Carolina had they wanted to. They didn't.

Yes, Alissa had only 6 medals to garner at a series of competitions against the leading Women Skaters of the World, and now she has to face her American rivals who haven't won a medal at any competition except last years' US Nationals, and maybe a Sectional this year. Do you really think that wil be harder? About Mirai, it's just a hopeful opinion. And Mirai will beat out Yuna and a reconditioned Mao not to mention Carolina. Indeed US Nats is harder to win than Worlds even.
    Joe, check back on my posts.
    Unlike YOU - my pick for the Natl team has been Mirai and Alissa all season long.

Your choices, posted many times are different.

I can still say US Natls will be a tougher event for Alissa to win than the GPF.
    We will have to wait until January to see.

A fierce competion like US Natls - with a trip to Worlds on the line still feels not just tougher but more important and prestigious.

No problem if you disagree and looks like you do see the difference. Winning the GPF is nice, even great for what it is.
    But it comes with no guarantees and means little when Natls roll around.

As poorly as Flatt skated - I can easily predict she will be back at Natls with alot to prove. If she is healthy she will most definitely be a factor.

Does Rachael deserve a shot at redemption? Is she still allowed to skate for a place on the Natl team?
    I say YES....and that competition is good. It is what SPORTS are all about, no?

But happy to see you belatedly jumping on the Alissa bandwagon
    Last edited by janetfan; 12-11-2010 at 09:36 AM.

Down With It
    Wait wow just a minute here. Did I read this right?

CZISNY WON?!?!?!?!?

Man, how crazy is this...the two that were most likely to bomb the event finish 1 and 2?? Wow. Insane. Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor...180 pts? CZISNY HAS NOW OFFICIALLY REDEEMED HERSELF

Yes, you don't have to tell me. I was wrong and I'll be the first to say so. Again, for most "headcase" skaters there's that one moment where it all comes together and for Czisny, looks like this was it. Her first major ISU title after such a disappointing OLY season...and after just about everyone except her biggest fans wrote her off. What an accomplishment for her.

The question I have now is, with Nationals coming up...can she hold the momentum? It's still a big test because the pressure will be even greater here. With what- 7 or 8 Nats appearances and 2 medals to show for it, considering her level, her track record there is not that great... Now, if she finishes top 2 I wouldn't have a problem at all sending her to Worlds. Based on what she's done this season she absolutely would have earned it.

As for Flatt, such an uncharacteristic showing has me thinking the injury is still bothering her. Why then, did she go? This is a HUGE decline from SA and puts a bad taste in one's mouth. Now, if she's out of favor at Nationals it might be enough to leave her off the team.
    Last edited by R.D.; 12-11-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I can see where you're going with this, and I think she had a lovely program, but I think she should have not been as close to Alissa in the LP. Alissa only beat her about .5 of a point. She and Alissa had nearly the same TES and Alissa only beat her by a point. I think PCS is about right, but I think Caro got some extra GOE in the tech.

And I definitely think that Akiko was underscored in PCS.
    Alissa's speed, edging, and overall power have definitely improved under Yuka and Jason, but these components of her basic skating skills and execution of performance are still not up to the level of Carolina's. I guess that's where Kostner gained ground on Czisny. I really don't want to get into who was overscored and underscored in this competition. I am too beyond thrilled with the results to get into any kind of debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I don't know what this means for the future of American skating. I'm just going to savor the moment.
    Ditto!

Alissa's speed, edging, and overall power have definitely improved under Yuka and Jason, but these components of her basic skating skills and execution of performance are still not up to the level of Carolina's. I guess that's where Kostner gained ground on Czisny. I really don't want to get into who was overscored and underscored in this competition. I am too beyond thrilled with the results to get into any kind of debate.

I think you are right and Alissa and Caro fans deserve 24 hours to savor this

Down With It
    that's it. I gotta actually watch this craziness. Wow. Unbelievable

Down With It
    You have a point- it appears she was able to win this event on the strength of her Short Program. Nothing wrong with that, since that's how Almighty Yuna did it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I think you are right and Alissa and Caro fans deserve 24 hours to savor this
    Yep, no one is gonna get any claws or fangs out of me on this one!

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast