Ladies Free Skate - 12/11 | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Ladies Free Skate - 12/11

seniorita

Record Breaker
I don't think Mao's elegant...she doesn't listen to the music, in my opinion, and she's emotionless....

In my universe and any parallel universe I m aware of, this statement couldnt be more wrong, dont confuse a program and how she skated it with her natural graceful posture, extention and musicality, as far as I am concerned she IS music.

Lily.Grace

Rinkside
In my universe and any parallel universe I m aware of, this statement couldnt be more wrong, dont confuse a program and how she skated it with her natural graceful posture, extention and musicality, as far as I am concerned she IS music.

How could an opinion be wrong? That's how I feel, I don't like how she moves. You're absolutely free to like her, I'm not gonna tell you you're wrong.

oleada

Record Breaker
How could an opinion be wrong? That's how I feel, I don't like how she moves. You're absolutely free to like her, I'm not gonna tell you you're wrong.

You can have your opinion, but saying Mao is inelegant, has bad posture, etc. is not very valid when you look at her skating.

miki88

Medalist
You can have your opinion, but saying Mao is inelegant, has bad posture, etc. is not very valid when you look at her skating.

Obviously, she's seeing her through different glasses from ours. :laugh: What always amazes me is that non-fans of a skater always appear to 'know' the skater more than the actual fans. I guess they're right when they say your harshest critics are the ones that pays the most attention to you. :cool:

genki

On the Ice

Exactly. Bad posture for Mao is like saying Shizuka's inabouer is ugly or Sasha's spiral is poor.
Maybe, LilyGarace did not watch Mao's skating enough.

Here's my most favorite Mao's program.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GfZW03lM4

Not only her posture is beautiful, but also her skating is so light and beautiful with her flexed knees. Peggy is also impressed with it.
Do you still feel it is not elegant?

burntBREAD

Medalist
Exactly. Bad posture for Mao is like saying Shizuka's inabouer is ugly or Sasha's spiral is poor.
Maybe, LilyGarace did not watch Mao's skating enough.

Here's my most favorite Mao's program.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GfZW03lM4

Not only her posture is beautiful, but also her skating is so light and beautiful with her flexed knees. Peggy is also impressed with it.
Do you still feel it is not elegant?

I feel this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmyUwtmch9w&feature=related
is the most elegant. The fact that the sound on the video, how the commentators are almost whispering and you can hear the blade work makes it even more beautiful.

cosmos

On the Ice
Mao is elegant and has beautiful posture. But, she lacks musicality. I don't think she listens to music when skating.

Lily.Grace

Rinkside
Mao is elegant and has beautiful posture. But, she lacks musicality. I don't think she listens to music when skating.

Thanks for the links, but I've been watching Mao since she won Junior Worlds, I saw every competition she did. In 2007 I thought she started to pay attention to interpretation and her movements, but then she started to look boring and emotionless again. And I'm sorry but elgance goes together with musicality, even if a movement looks technically perfect but has nothing to do with music then it's not beautiful. Yu-Na Kim or Tessa Virtue are elegant because they feel how a movement is connected to music, they have the music in their head and heart. It's so obvious, to me, when I see them skate, that they want to express something.
Yeah, I think Mao doesn't listen to the music at all, she goes through her programmes just because she has to, that's the impression she gives me. And lately she really looks like she doesn't even enjoy performing, her expression is always so sad and tired. Even when she won worlds, last year, she looked so unhappy...she's starting to look a bit like Fumie, who's lost the joy to skate. That's so sad to watch...
You all sound so upset by what I'm saying, that's kind of funny. Thanks again for all the links, but that's just how I feel.

npavel

On the Ice
Wow this was a well skated LP! I wish every competiton could be this solid. All of the top 5 ladies here gave admirable performances. I would have had Alissa 1st in the LP. Miki clearly wins on the jumps but her program is simply not good and I don't see anything special in the performance. For me she deserved to be 5th on the PCS. I can go either way with Kanako and Suzuki. I think Kanako's program is better and she did slightly better with the jumps as well, although Suzuki has more maturity. Both of them should have been on the podium, in 2nd or 3rd. I would have put Kostner into 4th overall (5th in the LP). I see a bit of improvement in her program from earlier in the season (and she deserved 2nd in the PCS) but the technical content wasn't enough. She has nice qualities but isn't so masterful in her artistry that she can get away with such a relatively weak jump layout.

I can't understand all this thoughts about the technical content. She got the same result in tes as Alissa. Her jumps were really beautiful and got credit for that. She didn't get negative goe in the whole LP which means every element was beautiful performed. First and second had same tech and Alissa won on pcs. Everyone has their fav, but saying it's not possible to get hight results because of technical content and at the same time agree the same technical content to win is just contradiction!

I can't understand all this thoughts about the technical content. She got the same result in tes as Alissa...

It is really quite bizarre how the base values for technical elements worked out. Kostner did not do a Lutz or a flip. She landed four triples to Czisny's six. The levels on non-jump elements were similar. Yet, somehow, the CoP points add up in a virtual tie. :confused:

If Carolina had not singled her first triple loop attempt, she would have had higher technical base value than Alissa even though Alissa did two triple Lutzes (one in combination) and in fact, did all the triples except the Salchow -- plus, she filled only one jumping pass (to Carolina's two) with a double Axel. (I am just looking at ther base values of the program here.)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
No, not absurd.

There are many differences in the layouts of Czisny's and Kostner's programs. All Czisny's combos, i.e. higher point jump passes, were at the top of her program whereas Kostner earned bonuses for her 3S, her hardest jump and her 3 combos, including a botched one (1Lo+2T). Her GOEs range from 0 to +1 for these. Czisny only got bonuses for 3 jumps, a high scoring 3Lz, a botched 3T+seq and a flawed 2A, getting GOEs from -1 to +0.10 for these late jumps. Despite all this, Czisny still had a little higher base value but her underrotation of 3F+2T with -0.50 GOE brought her total TES down to a virtual tie with Kostner.

It came down to Kostner doing harder jumps late and well while Czisny did fewer and easier ones late and badly or just OK. Kostner brought it in the 2nd half.

Case solved.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I went back to watch Czisny's LP and confirmed my suspicion that she Zayaked the last jump, 3T. She simply repeated this jump with no evident intention of doing a combo. Thus a +seq and 20% deduction, more than canceling out the 10% bonus and 0.10 GOE.

There will be times she wouldn't be able to afford such a silly mistake. Her team better pay attention.

Also rewatched Caro's and am really impressed with the 3 jump combo at the very end of the program. Which othe skater, male or female, does their highest scoring jumping pass last, right before the finish? Brava!

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
It is really quite bizarre how the base values for technical elements worked out. Kostner did not do a Lutz or a flip. She landed four triples to Czisny's six. The levels on non-jump elements were similar. Yet, somehow, the CoP points add up in a virtual tie. :confused:

If Carolina had not singled her first triple loop attempt, she would have had higher technical base value than Alissa even though Alissa did two triple Lutzes (one in combination) and in fact, did all the triples except the Salchow -- plus, she filled only one jumping pass (to Carolina's two) with a double Axel. (I am just looking at ther base values of the program here.)

1. Czisny had a UR so five triples.

2. Kostner did a 3 jump combo (w/ 2 2-toes) that she also backloaded, and that's 3 points right there.

3. Czisny lost some points on her second 3T because she repeats it w/out a combo.

4. The TES ends up as a virtual tie because Czisny loses too much ground from her jumps. She just doesn't have the highest quality and she can't score good GOEs there. She has seven jumping passes. In total, they contribute .1 GOE to her total, the highest being 0.50, the lowest -1.0. Her spins/steps/spirals? She scores a MASSIVE 6.64 points GOE. That's a Yu Na-Kim at the Olympics total.