Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dance Free Skate

Custom Title
    Count me in as a lover of tangoes and this one gets better and better especially with the recent changes and should be unbeatable by Worlds. Such speed in a tango is incredible. Glad to see this judging and tech panel didn't overinflate the scores. I thought the scores were very realistic as to where the dancers are in their performances.

Custom Title
    Correct results, boring competition. And to get bored is the worst scenary in Ice Dance.
    For Davis/White: Brilliant choreography, technical execution without any kind of emotion. Without it it is still just a difficult, busy choreo and a good skating skill.
    But NOT A TANGO. Pity, even if this program will be the one, which will give them the (deservd) World Champion title.

Pechalat/Bourzat are charming, overly sweet, theatratical. I would prefer the pure, real emotions ala Virtue/ Moir.

The rest was not really worth to mention this afternoon..... It tells everything.

Custom Title
    I love C/P's FD, but they were a little off. I don't know if it was just the camera angle, but they've made a couple changes (I think) that I don't like.

P/B.... sigh. The last minute was quite good, but overall just completely uninteresting. It's so coy and precious and cutesy. And the bobbles throughout... just not my thing.

And then you compare it to D/W, and its clear to me just how dramatically they're outclassed. While it's true P/B invest their program with little details that are designed to express their chosen theme, the little chorographic moments in D/W's just seem asonithingly difficult to just be so offhand as it is. They include the details because it helps contribute to the whole, but it's less show-offy. I'm thinking in particular the exit from their first lift with Meryl's little kick. They also had that jaw-dropping opening position in their dance spin (when was the last time you saw a dance spin with a position that unique and difficult?). It's also the most clearly dance of the programs, imo. I'm so glad they were on, and I look forward to their corronation at worlds. V/M would need to be at their best to beat them, and they obviously won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I love C/P's FD, but they were a little off. I don't know if it was just the camera angle, but they've made a couple changes (I think) that I don't like.

P/B.... sigh. The last minute was quite good, but overall just completely uninteresting. It's so coy and precious and cutesy. And the bobbles throughout... just not my thing.

And then you compare it to D/W, and its clear to me just how dramatically they're outclassed. While it's true P/B invest their program with little details that are designed to express their chosen theme, the little chorographic moments in D/W's just seem asonithingly difficult to just be so offhand as it is. They include the details because it helps contribute to the whole, but it's less show-offy. I'm thinking in particular the exit from their first lift with Meryl's little kick. They also had that jaw-dropping opening position in their dance spin (when was the last time you saw a dance spin with a position that unique and difficult?). It's also the most clearly dance of the programs, imo. I'm so glad they were on, and I look forward to their corronation at worlds. V/M would need to be at their best to beat them, and they obviously won't be.
    I think one of the differences between D&W and P&B is that P&B look like they're trying really hard, while D&W make the same things look effortless. Don't get me wrong though, I love P&B too.

chillyfranz
    Davis/Whiet very good but emotion is important too and they have not mastered the im(ex)pression of the dance yet. They may get the first in the World but is not enough if they skate only like this.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chillyfranz View Post
    Davis/Whiet very good but emotion is important too and they have not mastered the im(ex)pression of the dance yet. They may get the first in the World but is not enough if they skate only like this.
    D/W's program is very challenging technically, and they did a better job here than in previous outings. But, as far as interpretation, not smoldering enough for me, not enough tension between them, so for me, some of their PCS marks (PE and IN) were too high. They won hands down, but the gap should have been smaller.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    My problem with Ice Dance now is that there are too many tricks to judge and not enough about dancing. I suppose dancing (rhythms, Timings, proper steps, togetherness, etc.) is still there, but it have become, imo, second to tricks.
    At some point in the future, Pairs and Ice dance will meld.
    I couldn't agree more. People on this thread mentioned how luckluster this ice dance competition has been. I wonder the push for more "tricks," especially increased # of lifts being the contributing factors for increase in back injuries among male dancers.
    Absense of some top dance teams due to injuries, i.e., F/S, Kerrs, I believe led to the rather uninspiring, and lowered quality of dance we saw today.

Custom Title
    [QUOTE=bigdeal;535599]But NOT A TANGO. Pity, even if this program will be the one, which will give them the (deservd) World Champion title.

FYI www.allabouttango.com (see Argentine tango styles) They worked with tango instructors for this FD.

Custom Title
    In the 08/09 season, they had to do four lifts, one of them a long lift (combo, serpentine or reverse rotational). In 09/10, it was dropped to three, one a long lift. Now they have the option of doing four lifts, all short, or three lifts, one a long lift.

The competition if lackluster because V/M are out, three more teams are injured, one's redoing everything, and four retired.

Banned
    I would be very surprised if V/M go to Worlds this year unless they dont plan on going to 2014 and want to capatilize on 1 of their last say 2 World experiences in that case. They are not going to be at their best coming into the season late, it will be just like 2009. If they show up for Worlds after missing the rest of the season I predict they will only be at 80% capacity and will end up coming 3rd or 4th as opposed to the 1st or 2nd they would normally get. And if they have plans going forward for 2014 I dont see that as something they want.

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    In the 08/09 season, they had to do four lifts, one of them a long lift (combo, serpentine or reverse rotational). In 09/10, it was dropped to three, one a long lift. Now they have the option of doing four lifts, all short, or three lifts, one a long lift.

The competition if lackluster because V/M are out, three more teams are injured, one's redoing everything, and four retired.
    Thanks for the clarification regarding lift rules. Which team is redoing everything?

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by auser View Post
    Which team is redoing everything?
    Anna Cappellini and Luca Lanotte of Italy.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Possibly Faiella & Scali as well, although they are injured too, part of the rash of 3 teams with injured backs at Cup of Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Does anyone have any insight into why Vanessa and Paul are not doing 4 lifts like the other teams are? Why are they giving up points to the rest of the field by omitting a technical element? Could it be due to her injury perhaps?
    The reason the other teams are doing 4 lifts is that the base score is the same for 3 lifts, but if you get positive GOE on everything, you can get up to an additional .5 point or point (I forget which) with 4 lifts. C&P have chosen to go with the original Dean choreography without changing it (3 lifts). So they're giving away a point or so.

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    No, I love their FD too . . . all the hate on it is totally lost on me. It's probably my 2nd favorite of all their FDs in their career only behind Samson + Delilah from the 2009 season. If it is ever skated to the same level that S+D was at 2009 Worlds, it could possibly become my #1 favorite D&W FD. I love its passion and maturity.
    I like D&W's tango, particularly the first part to Il Postino (up through the second lift). And the program goes very well up to the 3rd trapeze lift, which still IMO isn't quite right yet. We're watching the dance develop through the season. This is not unusual for D&W. For example with S+D, at first, the Bacchanale sequence was just way too frantic and disconnected. Then by Nationals, it was deliberately frantic and connected. Huge difference.

Right now, that 3rd lift (trapeze lift) does not have the smoothness and program relevance of the first two lifts. And the diagonal step is a bit ragged, leaving the program ending on not the best note.

It was hugely better since Skate America, and I look forward to seeing how it's developed at Nationals.

Congratulations to D&W winning their second GPF, which is also the second GPF won by an American team.

WOW D/W FD imo was fantastic. Congrats to them, well desrved first place.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    D&W FD

http://www.mediafire.com/?e9ycoybbpb5i222
    FD no commentary, for download (This is worth downloading, IMO. Good quality video)

Tanth & Terry commentarty FD (youtube)
    http://www.universalsports.com/video...e+defend+title

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast