Dance Free Skate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dance Free Skate

herios

Medalist
Davis/Whiet very good but emotion is important too and they have not mastered the im(ex)pression of the dance yet. They may get the first in the World but is not enough if they skate only like this.

D/W's program is very challenging technically, and they did a better job here than in previous outings. But, as far as interpretation, not smoldering enough for me, not enough tension between them, so for me, some of their PCS marks (PE and IN) were too high. They won hands down, but the gap should have been smaller.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My problem with Ice Dance now is that there are too many tricks to judge and not enough about dancing. I suppose dancing (rhythms, Timings, proper steps, togetherness, etc.) is still there, but it have become, imo, second to tricks.
At some point in the future, Pairs and Ice dance will meld.

I couldn't agree more. People on this thread mentioned how luckluster this ice dance competition has been. I wonder the push for more "tricks," especially increased # of lifts being the contributing factors for increase in back injuries among male dancers.
Absense of some top dance teams due to injuries, i.e., F/S, Kerrs, I believe led to the rather uninspiring, and lowered quality of dance we saw today.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
In the 08/09 season, they had to do four lifts, one of them a long lift (combo, serpentine or reverse rotational). In 09/10, it was dropped to three, one a long lift. Now they have the option of doing four lifts, all short, or three lifts, one a long lift.

The competition if lackluster because V/M are out, three more teams are injured, one's redoing everything, and four retired.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I would be very surprised if V/M go to Worlds this year unless they dont plan on going to 2014 and want to capatilize on 1 of their last say 2 World experiences in that case. They are not going to be at their best coming into the season late, it will be just like 2009. If they show up for Worlds after missing the rest of the season I predict they will only be at 80% capacity and will end up coming 3rd or 4th as opposed to the 1st or 2nd they would normally get. And if they have plans going forward for 2014 I dont see that as something they want.

auser

Record Breaker
In the 08/09 season, they had to do four lifts, one of them a long lift (combo, serpentine or reverse rotational). In 09/10, it was dropped to three, one a long lift. Now they have the option of doing four lifts, all short, or three lifts, one a long lift.

The competition if lackluster because V/M are out, three more teams are injured, one's redoing everything, and four retired.

Thanks for the clarification regarding lift rules. Which team is redoing everything?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Possibly Faiella & Scali as well, although they are injured too, part of the rash of 3 teams with injured backs at Cup of Russia.

Does anyone have any insight into why Vanessa and Paul are not doing 4 lifts like the other teams are? Why are they giving up points to the rest of the field by omitting a technical element? Could it be due to her injury perhaps?

The reason the other teams are doing 4 lifts is that the base score is the same for 3 lifts, but if you get positive GOE on everything, you can get up to an additional .5 point or point (I forget which) with 4 lifts. C&P have chosen to go with the original Dean choreography without changing it (3 lifts). So they're giving away a point or so.

No, I love their FD too . . . all the hate on it is totally lost on me. :confused: It's probably my 2nd favorite of all their FDs in their career only behind Samson + Delilah from the 2009 season. If it is ever skated to the same level that S+D was at 2009 Worlds, it could possibly become my #1 favorite D&W FD. I love its passion and maturity. :love:

I like D&W's tango, particularly the first part to Il Postino (up through the second lift). And the program goes very well up to the 3rd trapeze lift, which still IMO isn't quite right yet. We're watching the dance develop through the season. This is not unusual for D&W. For example with S+D, at first, the Bacchanale sequence was just way too frantic and disconnected. Then by Nationals, it was deliberately frantic and connected. Huge difference.

Right now, that 3rd lift (trapeze lift) does not have the smoothness and program relevance of the first two lifts. And the diagonal step is a bit ragged, leaving the program ending on not the best note.

It was hugely better since Skate America, and I look forward to seeing how it's developed at Nationals.

Congratulations to D&W winning their second GPF, which is also the second GPF won by an American team.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
WOW D/W FD imo was fantastic. Congrats to them, well desrved first place.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Davis and White's Tango is just so impossibly hard and the fact that they skated it clean with so much passion and fire was splendid to see. Certainly their best showing yet of the season and I agree that barring disaster, I don't even see Virtue and Moir beating this if they both show up in Tokyo. I agree with whoever marveled about their twizzles with the little jump entry. More Zeueva genius.