Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Should the USFSA give Alissa Czisny a ticket to Worlds after being GPF Champion?

Custom Title

Should the USFSA give Alissa Czisny a ticket to Worlds after being GPF Champion?

I was thinking and I know about the strict protocols of the USFSA in terms of the World team being chosen by placements at the national championships. But IMO Alissa Czisny should be given direct entry to World's after being GPF Champion, she surely is looking top five at the moment in terms of World Level (and she is the best at the moment for the US) and then who ever becomes US champion has the right to go to World's along with Alissa.

Alissa is pure Class (grace and beauty is back there since the 6.0 system, along with Kostner and Korpi this year)

Who else agrees?

Custom Title
    My guess is, not a free ticket. But I think she has earned roughly a 10 point cushion over the other girls.

What's the rush? Plenty of time to announce the World's team after Nationals.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    I'm not pooh-poohing the topic but there are too many threads where this question is being discussed.

Custom Title
    Even after nationals there is over a month until the worlds. So even if you do well at nationals in January who knows if that person will still be good in late March. So either way nationals is an old barometer! So you might as well just go with a winner of a big international competition like Czisny at the GPF.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    My guess is, not a free ticket. But I think she has earned roughly a 10 point cushion over the other girls.
    That will be padded into her PCS marks by the judges at US Nationals for sure, and if she will have a decent skate at the Nationals, most likely will do the trick for her.

We should let Alissa bask in well-deserved glory for at least one day -- but nah.

Coming reluctantly back down to earth from our collective Alissa high, lets take a sober look at where she is and how she got there.

Skate Canada:

Short program.

1. Phaneuf
    2. Makarova
    3. Zawadski.
    4. Czisny (near fall on 3Lz, -3/-2 GOE, otherwise OK.)

Long program

1. Czisny (one fall, excellent overall.)

Who she beat: Makarova (2nd), Imai (3rd), LaCoste (4th), Samson (5th).

Eric Bompard

Short program

1. Korpi
    2. Nagasu
    3. Imai
    4. Czisny (Fall on 3Lz, “e” on F combo)

Long program

1. Nagasu
    2. Korpi
    3. Phaneuf
    4. Czisny (“e” on flip combo, “e” on solo flip, fall on 3T)

Grand Prix Final

Short program

1. Czisny Excellent, no mistakes, all positive GOEs, super PCSs.

Long program

1. Ando
    2. Murakami
    3. Czisny Very good overall, “<” on flip on combo, stumble on 2A (-2 GOE), could not complete 3T-2T combo.

Pretty good so far, everything considered. Now let’s she what she can bring to nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    That will be padded into her PCS marks by the judges at US Nationals for sure...
    We'll have to see how it turns out.

But just for comparison, the year (2009) when Alissa won the U.S. championship, and everyone was complaining about inflated PCSs, the U.S. judges gave her 27.77 inthe short program and 60.63 in the long.

In the Grand Prix Final this week, international judges gave her 30.14 and 61.31.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    that probbaly won't be needed. Winning the GPF will give Alissa the confidence boost she needs and very probably win Nationals or at least place second to Mirai. That said, if she is third, it is highly probable that she will make the team and USFSA will bump off whoever places 2nd.

Custom Title
    I'm a big fan of Alissa's and would love to see her have a great showing at Nationals and Worlds. I don't think she should get an automatic spot to Worlds based on her Gold GPF medal but I can see that helping not just in PCS marks, but if say Alissa is 3rd at Nationals with a good overall showing and the silver medalist is a newcomer, an unknown with no International experience on the Senior levl.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    yes, Alissa will get a spot on the world team if she places in the top two or possibly even medals (unless Rachael skates well and places 2nd. then i don't see USFSA knocking an olympian and someone with two years of world championship experience off the team). Sasha won the GPF in 2003. Nobody named her automatically to the world team.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    ^ Or if Mirai places 2nd Let's not be dismissing Rachael's chances of defending her title just yet.

Although I am over the moon with Alissa winning, I dont think that she should get a spot automatically. Do I want her to go? Oh yes, along with Mirai. But just giving the spot Id have to say no. Although the wait & thought of my dream team not coming together makes my stomach hurt. Not to mention the fact that I will be on a cruise from Jam 23rd til the 28th. So I will be missing the excitement.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Even after nationals there is over a month until the worlds. So even if you do well at nationals in January who knows if that person will still be good in late March. So either way nationals is an old barometer! So you might as well just go with a winner of a big international competition like Czisny at the GPF.
    It´s about 2 months between US Nationals and Worlds. Yeah, the US champion (especially in men´s division) has not succeeded that well in Olympics or Worlds.... Neither did Flatt so well in past season (Nagasu was better in 2010 Olympics and Worlds).

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    yes, Alissa will get a spot on the world team if she places in the top two or possibly even medals (unless Rachael skates well and places 2nd. then i don't see USFSA knocking an olympian and someone with two years of world championship experience off the team).
    Being an Olympian with a 7th place finish (at least Nagasu was 4th) is not impressive, in my opinion. And Flatt´s two years of World championship experience is not impressive either, considering she was 5th in her first WC and in the second WC dropped onto 9th place.

It sure will be veeeery exciting to watch how Czisny/Nagasu/Flatt will skate at the Nationals!
    Last edited by Jaana; 12-13-2010 at 04:34 AM.

Custom Title
    As long as she doesn't bomb hard at nationals she's probably on the team. Doesn't even have to have a wow moment, just be comparatively decent. She's on fire internationally this season, American judges will take that into heavy consideration.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast