up and comers next season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

up and comers next season

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
Polina also won the Long Programm today!
http://fsevents.narod.ru/event/s1011/Panin/SEG052.HTM
Leonova in 2nd place with a low technical score. Nationals will be very intresting. Especially after Sofia Biryukova was in good form in her last 2 competitions. Only 2 places for Europeans, and for me its not clear who will got at the Moment. Lenonova, Makarove or Biryukova. Of course, Leonova and Makarova are the favourites, but it is really possible for Biryukova to beat one of them!
Really happy, that there are so many young girls coming up! Agafonova, Ovcharova and Shelepen are old enough to skate at Europeans next year. Thanks God!!

oleada

Record Breaker
Ouch, it's really not looking good for Leonova. Her TES is only the 3rd highest in a relatively weak field.

I wonder if the fed would prefer to send Biryukova to get more experience, though that might be a risky move. Leonova was always kind of a place-holder until the wonderbabies grow up, but I wonder if she'll be replaced sooner than we thought.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
How do you discover videos of Russian young skaters at local competition? I can find ones at JGP,GP or National,but it's rather difficult for me to search ones like Cup of Russia competitions...

Here's top 3 performances from Japan Jr.national.
Risa Shoji(1st)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHgevu9VXck
Kako Tomotaki (2nd)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDwFYmZ0fJw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
Miyabi Oba (3rd)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLfSlG1fp4o&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
Tomtaki and Oba are sub for JGP this season though they didn't get one. Unfortunately,they didn't broadcast Satoko Miyahara,4th and get only one standing ovation, from novice.

Gosh, Risa's skating is just so lovely to watch. She's one of my favorites this season. I think if she can get her URs under control by then, she could give Adelina a run for her money at Junior Worlds, or at least end up on the podium there. That kind of flow and maturity in a 14 year old girl is really uncommon, she is special.

The girl Kako who came in 2nd reminds me of Miki Ando at that age. Very powerful jumper.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Polina also won the Long Programm today!
http://fsevents.narod.ru/event/s1011/Panin/SEG052.HTM
Leonova in 2nd place with a low technical score. Nationals will be very intresting. Especially after Sofia Biryukova was in good form in her last 2 competitions. Only 2 places for Europeans, and for me its not clear who will got at the Moment. Lenonova, Makarove or Biryukova. Of course, Leonova and Makarova are the favourites, but it is really possible for Biryukova to beat one of them!
Really happy, that there are so many young girls coming up! Agafonova, Ovcharova and Shelepen are old enough to skate at Europeans next year. Thanks God!!

Does this mean Polina will compete at senior nationals next week? I know she wasn't originally on the list of entries.

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
Gosh, Risa's skating is just so lovely to watch. She's one of my favorites this season. I think if she can get her URs under control by then, she could give Adelina a run for her money at Junior Worlds, or at least end up on the podium there. That kind of flow and maturity in a 14 year old girl is really uncommon, she is special.

The girl Kako who came in 2nd reminds me of Miki Ando at that age. Very powerful jumper.
Actually,Miyabi has learned from Miki's former coach,Ms Monna. her secon 3Lo is awesome.

As for Kako,her consistency trough a few seasons is wonderful.

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
Polina will compete. She didn´t qualify, but only a few girls do that. So the Russian Federation pick the rest - and of course they pick the best! With a bronze medal at last year JW she will have no problem to be allowed to skate.
Urmanov also say in an interview after the 4th Russian cup, where Polina was 4th, that he see no problem and that Polina will get a bye.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Urmanov is the coach of Agafanova??
And why she was not originally picked for nationals?

seniorita

Record Breaker
So since she skated in the Gp why wasnt she qualified even if she finished 4th in the russian cup??
By the way, have Radionova competed in RC as well?

oleada

Record Breaker
Polina didn't technically qualify as the qualifications are:
1. GP competitiors
2. JGPF qualifiers
3. Top 3 at a Russia cup event

Polina didn't fulfill any category. But the fed will invite whoever they like, and I'm sure Polina will be there. The list of entries that was posted at fskate.ru isn't official as far as I'm aware, rather just a list of competitors who fulfilled any of the above three conditions.

As for Radionova, I don't know, but she will definitely compete in the juniors, she is still really young.

NMURA

Medalist
Not exactly an up and comer, Yukiko Fujisawa attempted a 3A at National sports festival qualifying competition (3A<< fall). She was rumored to be practicing the 3A in past two years. I wonder if she tries it next season. I'm sure she receives a JGP assignment despite the poor result at Jr Nationals.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Not exactly an up and comer, Yukiko Fujisawa attempted a 3A at National sports festival qualifying competition (3A<< fall). She was rumored to be practicing the 3A in past two years. I wonder if she tries it next season. I'm sure she receives a JGP assignment despite the poor result at Jr Nationals.

:love: Yukiko!
I hope she does well next year, she's so inconsistent!

koheikun90

On the Ice
Since Russia has so many talented skaters, I wonder how many of them will decide to represent other countries. It would be great if Ksenia Makarova decides to represent the US. Does she have dual citizenship? With the lack of depth in the US compared to the past, she could definitely be one of our country's top skaters.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Since Russia has so many talented skaters, I wonder how many of them will decide to represent other countries. It would be great if Ksenia Makarova decides to represent the US. Does she have dual citizenship? With the lack of depth in the US compared to the past, she could definitely be one of our country's top skaters.

AFAIK, Ksenia doesn't have American citizenship at all, only Russian.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
She lives here in the US and has lived here long enough that she could apply for US citizenship any time she wants it, if she's 18. However, she'd have to sit out her time (is it a year?) since she has competed internationally for Russia, before she could skate for the US internationally.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
Polina Agafonova..I haven't heard much about her lately. She is one of my other Russian favs along with Adelina.

smia

Rinkside
She lives here in the US and has lived here long enough that she could apply for US citizenship any time she wants it, if she's 18. However, she'd have to sit out her time (is it a year?) since she has competed internationally for Russia, before she could skate for the US internationally.
Single skaters have to sit out two years so it's very unlikely for her to switch.

Pairs/ice dancers can switch after one year but they need permission from their previous country. Logically Mukhortova/Blanchard should skate for France because they have little chance of making the Russian team but they can't because Russia would block them from international competition for two years.

Last edited: