ALISSA CZISNY Official Thread | Page 9 | Golden Skate

ALISSA CZISNY Official Thread

Layfan

Record Breaker
About Lysacek, definitely! I was amazed at how angry at Lysacek personally some people were getting. And all he did was skate his best. After that, the verdict was out of his hands.

And I hear you about Tara.

Seriously, it took a long time before I could get over the fact that they gave the gold to her and not to Michelle. I couldn't even watch any performance of Lyra Angelica for years. It was only after watching half a decade's worth of additional skating performances by Michelle when I realized that that tenth of a point was one of the greatest gifts to ladies' skating in the modern era. It's highly possible that a girl with dreams of college and career would have packed up her skates and left the sport almost right away if she'd won the OGM. Think of what we'd have all missed out on, including Michelle herself! So Tara has the gold and a place in history, and Kwan has a place in American skating that's like no one else's. And Lyra is one of my favorite Kwan programs of all.

I hope the Plushenko/Weir fans will be able to recover similarly in the future. I disagree with them in this case, but I certainly understand the strength of their emotions.

Mmmhhhm. If Michelle had won gold in Nagano she might not have become Michelle Kwan, Figure Skating Legend. I got over that a long time ago.... so did Michelle.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ha, I still don't even know who "Gizmo" is. But I kinda don't care any more. :p

seniorita

Record Breaker
^How can you not know her!!!Anastasia Gimazetinova..or somethin,sorry i cant spell it:laugh:,she is from Uzbekistan and skates since I entered in High school:rock:

I don't know if it was shown nationwide, but they showed Alissa's Detroit-Chrysler commercial four times on TV tonight. Not the full two-minute eminem version, but a shorter take that included Alissa spinning. Twice on Survivor and twice on Modern Family, two blockbuster shows in terms of viewership.

Too bad her part is only about a quarter of a second long -- time for about two-and-a-half revolutions of a Bielmann spin. *She said they made her spin for four hours to get that less-than-a-second clip. :laugh:

I hope she makes a huge ton of money each time they show it! :rock:

It's a great commercial, isn't it, Mathman? A beautiful, soulful look at Detroit. I'd love to see that city revive. We should value our Rust Belt cities more. And of course Czisny belongs in that ad, because she's so closely tied with the area. I'm glad it's getting air play. It's also on YouTube if anyone has a hankering to see it.

I don't remember Gizmo. I'll have to look her up. The only lady I remember skating for a Central Asian country is Malinina. Wasn't she Uzbekistan?

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
It's a great commercial, isn't it, Mathman? A beautiful, soulful look at Detroit. I'd love to see that city revive. We should value our Rust Belt cities more. And of course Czisny belongs in that ad, because she's so closely tied with the area. I'm glad it's getting air play. It's also on YouTube if anyone has a hankering to see it.

I don't remember Gizmo. I'll have to look her up. The only lady I remember skating for a Central Asian country is Malinina. Wasn't she Uzbekistan?

I had a cheesy moment with that ad today. I was at the gym, on the treadmill, feeling tired after the fourth mile of my run. I started to slow the machine down--then the commercial came on, and I thought, "If Detroit and Alissa can come back from last year--I can at least finish the next two miles strong."

I didn't =P Moral of the story--Alissa is a better athlete than me. Good luck at Worlds, Alissa! Medal or not, 3 spots or 2, have the performances that you (and you alone) can feel proud of.

And, yes, Olympia, Malinina was an Uzbek skater (who was born in Russia, I believe?).

jatale

On the Ice
Thanks so much for the link! What a lovely article! I really do hope that Alissa finishes on the podium at Worlds, but most importantly I hope she performs well and is proud of her efforts regardless of how they turn out. I hope she knows that many skating fans the world over admire her efforts and have derived much enjoyment watching her skate over the years. All the best to her in this coming Worlds and in her life. When she finally retires we will all miss her presence on the ice.

ana

On the Ice
I hope also Alissa will be on the podium and will not retire.
Best wishes to both Czisny sisters.

Ana, thanks for the lovely article! I can't always open the NY Times site, but this time it opened instantly. The reporter did a great job of capturing her personality--at least as we have learned of it. Distressing to hear about her sister, but maybe the remission will hold forever.

Didn't you love what she said about how inspired she was by the line "The hottest fires forge the strongest steel"? I hope she can carry that thought straight through the Worlds. (I almost wrote the Olympics. Wishful thinking! I'm going to be so sorry to see this graceful, soulful skater leave our team. There's no one else quite like her.)

What a delectable video. If I didn't already love Alissa, I would after this video.

Did you notice the marks she left on the ice as she spun? A perfect tight circle. There was a painter of the Italian Renaissance, Raphael, who supposedly was famous for being able to draw a perfect circle freehand. Here's his descendant!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
What a delectable video. If I didn't already love Alissa, I would after this video.

Did you notice the marks she left on the ice as she spun? A perfect tight circle. There was a painter of the Italian Renaissance, Raphael, who supposedly was famous for being able to draw a perfect circle freehand. Here's his descendant!

I did notice the marks on the ice and I was impressed. Wouldn't Alissa make a lovely World Champion? She sure has the talent.