Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: ALISSA CZISNY Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Does one think Czisny will be forgiven by fans if she DOES manage to get that 3rd spot back? You know, for the disaster that was 2009?
    That's all water under the dam now.

Custom Title
    The disaster was the 2008 team that lost the 3rd spot in the first place not Alissa. And why doesn't anyone get on Mirai for collapsing at Worlds last year? A decent skate in the LP and she medals and the US gets 3 spots this year.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    The disaster was the 2008 team that lost the 3rd spot in the first place not Alissa. And why doesn't anyone get on Mirai for collapsing at Worlds last year? A decent skate in the LP and she medals and the US gets 3 spots this year.
    I was just as hard on Nagasu last year, if you read my previous posts. At the same time, I was wondering why so many more chose to give her a pass- many times, the same people who raked Czisny over the coals.

And yes, I pointed out the 2008 team in a recent post (not sure if it was in this thread or not).

Medalist
    oh... she writes extremely well too!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Well, Mirai still finished ahead of Rachael last year, and she at least had one good program at worlds, whereas Rachael had 2 shaky programs there, so it wouldn't really make sense to blame Mirai because she wasn't the lowest finishing American lady at worlds last year, whereas Alissa was in 2009.

I don't think any reasonable person "blames" a skater for a bad performance.

Trust me, skaters do not deliberately mess up just perversely to annoy us.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    You'd think posters have some kind of financial stake in the third spot or something. I can understand being disappointed that U.S. ladies skating is not what it once was. But being "mad" at a skater and wondering whether it's okay to "forgive" them?

Every lady to have gone to worlds since 2008 has been disappointing, except Rachael in 2009. In 2010, nerves and post-Olympic tiredness got to both her and Mirai. Sure I'm disappointed but I just don't get being personally mad at them. Or Alissa, Bebe, Kimmie and Ashley.

Down With It
    I'm not "mad" at anyone. Was just asking a question, a question that, given the animosity of many posts on the forums a while back, IMO is worth asking.

Honestly, though- there are times that I'm forced to think that a few posters may not be real SPORTS fans in the traditional sense. Happy at the thrill of victory, disappointed at the agony of defeat, upset when a perfectly winnable game is blown. All perfectly normal (and common) reactions. These skaters aren't delicate flowers or princesses, man.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Trust me, skaters do not deliberately mess up just perversely to annoy us.
    Well, obviously not. Does a team blow a home game to upset its fans? of course not. But still, the fact remains that they were unable to rise to the occasion. The TRUE fans will forgive and forget...stick around even when times are bad and send those messages of support that mean so much. Again, though- not all fans are "true" fans in the sense of the word. Most tend to be of the "bandwagon" or "fair-weather" type.

Even in other sports there's a difference between being disappointed in a team or player's performance and taking it like some kind of personal affront. There are some soccer fans who get that way. But they give me the begeebees. And some fans do go too far in actions, not just words.

Maybe you're not mad but there are other posters who have expressed that exact sentiment about Alissa.

It strikes me as a bit much but maybe I'm overreacting. I won't say anything more.

Well, maybe I'll say this just to add a new thought: Even though figure skating sends "teams" to worlds and the Olympics, it is actually not a "team sport." There isn't even a team medal like in gymnastics or a relay like in track.

Maybe that's why I just can't get as worked up about the third spot.

As for whether I'm a "real" sports fan, i don't really care. I enjoy watching baseball and soccer. i enjoy watching figure skating more and I enjoy the competitive aspect of it a lot. But I also enjoy it because it's beautiful and artistic and, to me, more than just a sport.

To me, not having a third spot for the last three years is just a reflection of the overall quality of U.S. ladies skating today compared to the rest of the world. I don't see it as a reflection on just one skater.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    That's all water under the dam now.
    Actually, it's water over the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Well, Mirai still finished ahead of Rachael last year, and she at least had one good program at worlds, whereas Rachael had 2 shaky programs there, so it wouldn't really make sense to blame Mirai because she wasn't the lowest finishing American lady at worlds last year, whereas Alissa was in 2009.
    This is a tough one. I consider it a success if a skater finishes 6th or higher. Why 6th? Because a skater can finish 6th and achieve 3 spots for next year with another skater finishing below her. So when Rachael finished 5th, that was a success. When Mirai finished 7th, that was failure because nobody could finish below her and achieve 3 spots.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Again, though- not all fans are "true" fans in the sense of the word. Most tend to be of the "bandwagon" or "fair-weather" type.
    That's one accusation I have not have had to contend with.

This is a tough one. I consider it a success if a skater finishes 6th or higher. Why 6th? Because a skater can finish 6th and achieve 3 spots for next year with another skater finishing below her. So when Rachael finished 5th, that was a success. When Mirai finished 7th, that was failure because nobody could finish below her and achieve 3 spots.
    But Silverlake was talking about Rachael's 9th place finish in 2010.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    But Silverlake was talking about Rachael's 9th place finish in 2010.
    In that case, both Rachael and Mirai failed. It will be very interesting to see what happens next month.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    In that case, both Rachael and Mirai failed. It will be very interesting to see what happens next month.
    Yes I agree. With Mirai's 7th place finish Rachael could have sealed the third spot if she had repeated her 5th place finish or been 6th. And with Rachael's ninth Mirai could have done it if she had hung on to her 1st place ranking from the SP or been 2nd, 3rd, or 4th.

I think Mirai and Rachael could have easily won back the third spot if they had skated well -not even perfectly but well. I think the same thing about Alissa and Rachael so that's really the bottom line for next month.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    With Mirai's 7th place finish Rachael could have sealed the third spot if she had repeated her 5th place finish or been 6th. And with Rachael's ninth Mirai could have done it if she had hung on to her 1st place ranking from the SP or been 2nd, 3rd, or 4th.
    Yup. There we go.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast