ALISSA CZISNY Official Thread | Page 5 | Golden Skate

ALISSA CZISNY Official Thread

krenseby

Final Flight
Judges didn't really have a choice IMHO. The favorites did pretty badly.

Well, I think if that Worlds were judged by today's standards, the judges would have boosted the PCS of either Cohen, Suguri or both, and held down Meissner's so that either of Cohen or Suguri would have ended up as World Champion. (Meissner might have also lost points for underrotation.) Personally, I am not sure I would be happy with Suguri winning that one, and definitely not with Cohen, but that's what would have happened.

The one upside of that kinda judging: Meissner would have had less pressure on her next year. That World Champion title really set the expectations high for her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I was waiting for someone to post this...:laugh:

it means nothing IMO. Someone said she fell on all jump attempts when she skated her SP at some show a few weeks ago.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I was waiting for someone to post this...:laugh:

it means nothing IMO. Someone said she fell on all jump attempts when she skated her SP at some show a few weeks ago.

And I think she splatted a bunch at sectionals.

Weirdly enough, I think it shows that Alissa knows how to pull it together and skate better and more precisely when it counts. We've all heard that about past champions like Michelle Kwan (you'd read reports of her doing so-so at practice, then come competition time she fires on all cylinders, or the fact that she often saved her best performances for nationals or worlds).

Would it be more reassuring if Alissa always landed her jumps in and out of competition now? Of course. But the fact that she's keeping her splatting away from major competitions when she needs to tells you she has some power over the splatting.

What would be most reassuring is if Alissa landed all of her jumps all the time. Michelle Kwan did that, almost. She went on tour every year with SOI, did a four triple program, and hit them all almost every night. Michelle's official practices were performances. Even in a "so-so" practice, she rarely fell.

If Alissa had power over her falls she would not fall.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Of course. But she has some power over it to be able to keep upright through the GPF and then the SP and FS of US nationals. That can't be all luck. She must be able to tell herself, OK, this is where I need you to really concentrate and really fight and balance and keep the timing. And then she's actually able to do it. Maybe it takes a great deal of mental exertion. But that's ok, she doesn't need to keep that up every time she gets on the ice. Just twice more at worlds should do it.

krenseby

Final Flight
I was waiting for someone to post this...:laugh: it means nothing IMO. Someone said she fell on all jump attempts when she skated her SP at some show a few weeks ago.

And I think she splatted a bunch at sectionals. Would it be more reassuring if Alissa always landed her jumps in and out of competition now?

Ok, there's something I am missing here. I always figured that either you have the jumps or you don't. If you have trouble with them either in practices or during show skates, that means there are technique issues present that could crop up in competition as well.
It doesn't seem to me that a skater jumps one way during competition and a totally different way during a show skate. I would assume they are using the same technique in both cases. So a failure in one instance would increase the likelihood of failure in another.

Now, I am not saying I am right about this, perhaps there is something about show skates that makes the jumps a lot weaker and less reliable than in competition. But I don't see it. As Mathman said:

Last edited:

pista04

On the Ice
Ok, there's something I am missing here. I always figured that either you have the jumps or you don't.

While that concept is basically true, there are other factors. I know in Track/Field, your not always pumped with the adrenaline, energy, or desire to have great starts every run in practice. In Basketball, during games you'll focus a lot more on making baskets rather than during practice. I would assume there is a similar idea in figure skating. When your in a major competition, not only will your adrenalin be pumping to help you out, but you'll attempt to rotate more vertically and concentrate on each, particular element compared to an exhibition, where your focus on performance will take over. In addition, in exhibitions I would assume there is a lack of adrenaline, and you wouldnt try with 200% effort to keep yourself correctly vertical and rotating compared to in Competition.

That's just my thought, atleast.

R.D.

Record Breaker
All this talk is just funny to me...This is a case of where when it counted most, she hit them. In the gala, it didn't count, and she slipped. Write it off as a bad practice, it happens to all.

If, say 4CCs come around and she begins falling and reverting back to Czisny 1.0, then we ought to worry.

ETA: come to think of it, I think she's one of the few skaters that can get away without doing jumps. Just don't do them at all in any show performances.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
What would be most reassuring is if Alissa landed all of her jumps all the time. Michelle Kwan did that, almost. She went on tour every year with SOI, did a four triple program, and hit them all almost every night. Michelle's official practices were performances. Even in a "so-so" practice, she rarely fell.

Michelle never skated with SOI... she was the star of Champions on Ice.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

Show lighting is much more difficult to deal with.

Which is why it is so impressive when Plushenko or Bradley hits a quad in show lighting.

Michelle's practices were amazing. I recall one practice of hers at one Nationals or Worlds in Washington, I don't remember which. She did a runthough of her long--and then a runthrough of her short, both without visible error. She got a standing ovation from the people in the stands, something I've never seen in a practice.

Michelle's practices were amazing. I recall one practice of hers at one Nationals or Worlds in Washington, I don't remember which. She did a runthough of her long--and then a runthrough of her short, both without visible error. She got a standing ovation from the people in the stands, something I've never seen in a practice.

I'm so jealous you got to see a practice. I saw her skate live just once, and I was way up in the nosebleed section of the arena. Thanks for the story!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
:sheesh: :sheesh:

If they aren't being counted for points, it doesn't matter...

no, It dosen't matter if she can go out at Worlds and throw down another clean skate. But seriously, why do skaters nowadys have so much trouble with exhibitions? The program was beautiful and would have been a true iconic moment if she not messed up everyone of her jumps. I understand that spotlights are hard to jump in but Alissa is a pro at this, she toured with SOI and has been competing at this level for a long time.

Layfan

Record Breaker
no, It dosen't matter if she can go out at Worlds and throw down another clean skate. But seriously, why do skaters nowadys have so much trouble with exhibitions? The program was beautiful and would have been a true iconic moment if she not messed up everyone of her jumps. I understand that spotlights are hard to jump in but Alissa is a pro at this, she toured with SOI and has been competing at this level for a long time.

I guess Galas right after a tough competition might be a little difficult. You're tired and all.

But still. As everyone has pointed out, it's hard to imagine Michelle falling all over the place like that at an exhibition. Or Rachael for that matter. Even Mirai.
I remember that Yuna's exhibition after the Olympics had one or two popped jumps. But that's different from falling twice.

Alissa did do a nice exhibition after winning the GPF. I don't know what happened this time. No reason to panic but not the greatest send off for our national champ. :sheesh:

Maybe Alissa should have a no-jump exhibition number. Kinda like this one :love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhuFMGGAqr4

Last edited: