Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Brian Joubert's future

Brian Joubert's future

What are his plans as far as skating this season and next? Is he injured?

Custom Title
    I don't think he's injured, he pulled out of TEB with stomach flu, so I assume he's better now. I know the plan was to try to stay in and skate until Worlds in Nice in 2012, and then after that he would evaluate whether he wants to retire or try and stay on for another Olympics.

Custom Title
    He should leave France to find new coach and train else where. I think that's essential for his success. Right now, he's walking in circles. It seems that he hasn't realize it yet.

Custom Title
    I have gotten the impression that it is nothing new that Joubert does not succeed so well in GP competitions. Maybe he will be in better condition at Europeans? Besides, he probably aims to peak at Worlds.

Custom Title
    If you ask me, I think the judges are giving him some retirement marks...his PCS aren't what they used to be.

Plus Florent Amodio is nipping at his heels and who knows what Didier is going to do about this.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I have gotten the impression that it is nothing new that Joubert does not succeed so well in GP competitions. Maybe he will be in better condition at Europeans? Besides, he probably aims to peak at Worlds.
    Joubert has not done so well in TEB at home the last few years but he's far from being unsuccessful in GP competitions until this year. His gold position in another event put him through to the Final each of the last few years. In fact, he requested to go to COC this year because it was, and still is, the only GP event he had not won. As for Euro, his disheartened fans perked up a bit recently realizing how weak European men were this year, thus enhancing Joubert's chance to win.

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline
    If you ask me, I think the judges are giving him some retirement marks...his PCS aren't what they used to be.
    His PCS were so much higher than his TES this year that he was raised several places higher from otherwise embarassingly low placement. However, I think the judges are marking the PCS based more and more on actual PCs these days and he will be losing the preferential status soon.

Plus Florent Amodio is nipping at his heels and who knows what Didier is going to do about this.
    Agreed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post

I think Euros will be telling. If Joubert is OTP and Amodio is on it, or if they are both on it but Amodio finishes ahead of Joubert, it might be a wake up call for Joubert to make some important changes (coaching, training, programs, etc) if he's serious about continuing or to retire if he's not. Also if Verner does well and ends on the podium at Europeans it might show Joubert that making some important changes could really make a big difference in his skating if he doesn't want to give skating up, because Verner had an even more abysmal season than Joubert last year but has shown a lot of improvement so far this season.
    Last edited by silverlake22; 12-13-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    I think Joubert would do very well under the direction of Doug Leigh...Leigh has had much success with many male skaters, namely-Orser, Stoyko, Honda..was working with Buttle also along with Lee Barkell. He's a "technical" coach and his positive attitude is what I think Joubert needs right now..I don't think Brian has reached his full potential. Thinking back I seem to remember a few female skaters who trained with Leigh a while to improve their jumps..Asada, Suguri, Yuna Kim. Daisuke Takahashi trained there and Oda is training there now with Barkell. Good atmosphere for Joubert.

I think Euros and 4CCs are local events and not up to the demands of the GPs.

He was in that era of early-quads, and made a name for himself. If one enjoys good skating as well as tricks, it was Lambiel who was the master but Brian got the quad first. That used to annoy me until I watched one of his show routines on youtube. He was musical and stylish (other than metronome), I became a fan, but he doesn't show it in competition.

There are a lot of quads now;they've become standard, but the flow on ice with style is more important than it used to be. That kid with the bumps and grinds may well beat him. A choreographer is more needed than a coach, imo. A choreo who can combine his musical talents with his more-than-adequate Tech. I don't think Brian is finished yet.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    He was in that era of early-quads, and made a name for himself. If one enjoys good skating as well as tricks, it was Lambiel who was the master but Brian got the quad first. That used to annoy me until I watched one of his show routines on youtube. He was musical and stylish (other than metronome), I became a fan, but he doesn't show it in competition.
    Was that 2009 World ex. of his? That one certainly made me totally changed my way of seeing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    There are a lot of quads now;they've become standard, but the flow on ice with style is more important than it used to be. That kid with the bumps and grinds may well beat him. A choreographer is more needed than a coach, imo. A choreo who can combine his musical talents with his more-than-adequate Tech. I don't think Brian is finished yet.
    I agree with this on most counts.

I think that An ice dancer as a choreographer and leaving France to work with an North American or a Russian coach are essential.

Brian still has potential but not much time left for him. I got the sense that the judges are already starting to feel tired.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Was that 2009 World ex. of his? That one certainly made me totally changed my way of seeing him.

I agree with this on most counts.

I think that An ice dancer as a choreographer and leaving France to work with an North American or a Russian coach are essential.

Brian still has potential but not much time left for him. I got the sense that the judges are already starting to feel tired.
    I think that's why he tried a new style of programs this season - because the judges were tired of Matrix Joubert. But it seems like the judges don't like Beethoven Joubert very much at all. I hope he figures something out, it would make me sad to see him retire if he still wants to skate.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    It seems to me that Joubert always has a stomach flu!!!

Banned
    If he is really thinking about the next Olympics I have to laugh. He has no chance of being competitive by that point. He is already past his prime and is strictly a long shot to medal at Worlds this year. Worlds in France in 2012 is a good way to go out even if likely with a not so great result.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    If he is really thinking about the next Olympics I have to laugh. He has no chance of being competitive by that point. He is already past his prime and is strictly a long shot to medal at Worlds this year. Worlds in France in 2012 is a good way to go out even if likely with a not so great result.
    He has never said he wants to stay till next Olympics. The only reason he is still competing is that he wants to win Cup of China and go to 2012 worlds in France.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post

I agree. The judges are sending him a message to retire. Of course they have been doing that to Fumie Suguri for 3-4 years and she continues to ignore.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast