Brian Joubert's future | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert's future

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't think he's injured, he pulled out of TEB with stomach flu, so I assume he's better now. I know the plan was to try to stay in and skate until Worlds in Nice in 2012, and then after that he would evaluate whether he wants to retire or try and stay on for another Olympics.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
He should leave France to find new coach and train else where. I think that's essential for his success. Right now, he's walking in circles. It seems that he hasn't realize it yet.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have gotten the impression that it is nothing new that Joubert does not succeed so well in GP competitions. Maybe he will be in better condition at Europeans? Besides, he probably aims to peak at Worlds.

evangeline

Record Breaker
If you ask me, I think the judges are giving him some retirement marks...his PCS aren't what they used to be.

Plus Florent Amodio is nipping at his heels and who knows what Didier is going to do about this.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I have gotten the impression that it is nothing new that Joubert does not succeed so well in GP competitions. Maybe he will be in better condition at Europeans? Besides, he probably aims to peak at Worlds.

Joubert has not done so well in TEB at home the last few years but he's far from being unsuccessful in GP competitions until this year. His gold position in another event put him through to the Final each of the last few years. In fact, he requested to go to COC this year because it was, and still is, the only GP event he had not won. As for Euro, his disheartened fans perked up a bit recently realizing how weak European men were this year, thus enhancing Joubert's chance to win.

evangeline said:
If you ask me, I think the judges are giving him some retirement marks...his PCS aren't what they used to be.

His PCS were so much higher than his TES this year that he was raised several places higher from otherwise embarassingly low placement. However, I think the judges are marking the PCS based more and more on actual PCs these days and he will be losing the preferential status soon.

Plus Florent Amodio is nipping at his heels and who knows what Didier is going to do about this.

Agreed.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

I think Euros will be telling. If Joubert is OTP and Amodio is on it, or if they are both on it but Amodio finishes ahead of Joubert, it might be a wake up call for Joubert to make some important changes (coaching, training, programs, etc) if he's serious about continuing or to retire if he's not. Also if Verner does well and ends on the podium at Europeans it might show Joubert that making some important changes could really make a big difference in his skating if he doesn't want to give skating up, because Verner had an even more abysmal season than Joubert last year but has shown a lot of improvement so far this season.

Last edited:

mariposa

Rinkside
I think Joubert would do very well under the direction of Doug Leigh...Leigh has had much success with many male skaters, namely-Orser, Stoyko, Honda..was working with Buttle also along with Lee Barkell. He's a "technical" coach and his positive attitude is what I think Joubert needs right now..I don't think Brian has reached his full potential. Thinking back I seem to remember a few female skaters who trained with Leigh a while to improve their jumps..Asada, Suguri, Yuna Kim. Daisuke Takahashi trained there and Oda is training there now with Barkell. Good atmosphere for Joubert.

I think Euros and 4CCs are local events and not up to the demands of the GPs.

He was in that era of early-quads, and made a name for himself. If one enjoys good skating as well as tricks, it was Lambiel who was the master but Brian got the quad first. That used to annoy me until I watched one of his show routines on youtube. He was musical and stylish (other than metronome), I became a fan, but he doesn't show it in competition.

There are a lot of quads now;they've become standard, but the flow on ice with style is more important than it used to be. That kid with the bumps and grinds may well beat him. A choreographer is more needed than a coach, imo. A choreo who can combine his musical talents with his more-than-adequate Tech. I don't think Brian is finished yet.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
He was in that era of early-quads, and made a name for himself. If one enjoys good skating as well as tricks, it was Lambiel who was the master but Brian got the quad first. That used to annoy me until I watched one of his show routines on youtube. He was musical and stylish (other than metronome), I became a fan, but he doesn't show it in competition.

Was that 2009 World ex. of his? That one certainly made me totally changed my way of seeing him.

There are a lot of quads now;they've become standard, but the flow on ice with style is more important than it used to be. That kid with the bumps and grinds may well beat him. A choreographer is more needed than a coach, imo. A choreo who can combine his musical talents with his more-than-adequate Tech. I don't think Brian is finished yet.

I agree with this on most counts.

I think that An ice dancer as a choreographer and leaving France to work with an North American or a Russian coach are essential.

Brian still has potential but not much time left for him. I got the sense that the judges are already starting to feel tired.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Was that 2009 World ex. of his? That one certainly made me totally changed my way of seeing him.

I agree with this on most counts.

I think that An ice dancer as a choreographer and leaving France to work with an North American or a Russian coach are essential.

Brian still has potential but not much time left for him. I got the sense that the judges are already starting to feel tired.

I think that's why he tried a new style of programs this season - because the judges were tired of Matrix Joubert. But it seems like the judges don't like Beethoven Joubert very much at all. I hope he figures something out, it would make me sad to see him retire if he still wants to skate.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If he is really thinking about the next Olympics I have to laugh. He has no chance of being competitive by that point. He is already past his prime and is strictly a long shot to medal at Worlds this year. Worlds in France in 2012 is a good way to go out even if likely with a not so great result.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
If he is really thinking about the next Olympics I have to laugh. He has no chance of being competitive by that point. He is already past his prime and is strictly a long shot to medal at Worlds this year. Worlds in France in 2012 is a good way to go out even if likely with a not so great result.

He has never said he wants to stay till next Olympics. The only reason he is still competing is that he wants to win Cup of China and go to 2012 worlds in France.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

I agree. The judges are sending him a message to retire. Of course they have been doing that to Fumie Suguri for 3-4 years and she continues to ignore.

herios

Medalist
I think that's why he tried a new style of programs this season - because the judges were tired of Matrix Joubert. But it seems like the judges don't like Beethoven Joubert very much at all. I hope he figures something out, it would make me sad to see him retire if he still wants to skate.

Is not the programs he has to worry about at this point, he sought some of the best, Najarro who is now one of the choreographers "du jour" and Wilson.

It is HIS JUMPS, they are not working anymore. He became inconsistent, and that is not good. He always relied on them and they are so iffy that I have to close my eyes when he takes off...

And even when landed, they are scratchy, no +GOE's for him. He has not the best technique, very rarely a nice outflow from them. Muscle them in, won't do it today. He has to fix those jumps, somehow and quick. Verner will eat him for lunch at Euros, not just Amodio, Tomas lands his jumps with such an ease this season, is a pleasure to watch him. And if Brezina comes back healthy, even more bad news for Brian.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Well, he may not be competitive at that point, but he can probably finish higher than 16th! I could understand him not wanting his last Olympics to be such a bad one. There seem to be some talented men in France though so it might be hard for him to even make the team. That young kid Chafik has a lot of promise, his SP at TEB was terrific! :)

Nadine

Record Breaker
It is up to Brian to make of it what he will. No amount of prodding, et al, will help, kinda like the old story of how you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

And if Zhenya could come back at 27 yrs. old & win the Olympic Silver Medal, then I'm sure Brian can too. He's not too old, never too old, it's all in the mind. If you think you can do it you can.

We're talking about a 6-time French National Champion, 3-time European Champion, World Champion, with countless other medals to his name as well. Just look at his resume: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Joubert

Just this past year he was the European Bronze Medalist & Worlds Bronze Medalist. In fact he's stood on the World podium consistently for the past six years. This guy is definitely not done.

To write him off is just plain stupid & silly. We are *not* talking about an inconsistent skater here whom has had a handful of lucky skates. No way, this guy has been a force to be reckoned with since at least 2001! Go check his record out for verification.

He's got a history of longevity for almost 10 years, almost as long as Evgeni Plushenko, consistently winning medals over & over again ad nauseum. The ONLY medal he has never won is an Olympic Medal, and I'm sure that keeps him going. And rightfully so. He has what it takes, just needs to put it all together when it counts because that's the only competition he's inconsistent at ~ the Olympics ~ kinda like Ivan Lendl, whom won everything in sight but Wimbledon, never Wimbledon. That doesn't mean Brian still doesn't have a chance to win an Olympic Medal. He does.

I look forward to seeing both Brian & Evgeni compete again next year. :)

:party:GOOOOOOOOOO BRIAN!!!!!!!!:party:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Lol your words remind me of all those that said Zhenya didn't have a chance, he was done, no way could he come back after a 3 year layoff, then later on he thanked what he called his "enemies", as their words only spurred him on.

I hope words such as yours do the same thing to Brian ~ spur him on! :rock: :cool: