Tessa and Scott are back in business | Golden Skate

Tessa and Scott are back in business

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin::biggrin: Woo-Hoo!

Whatever competition they decide to start with will be fine by me. I'm sure they'll be extra careful not to rush this. I'm thrilled to think we may really get to see their programs, though. Now that we've seen a number of the other SD's , the show version of theirs looks like it would be one of the better ones.

I'm giddy !

herios

Medalist
:biggrin::biggrin: Woo-Hoo!

Whatever competition they decide to start with will be fine by me. I'm sure they'll be extra careful not to rush this. I'm thrilled to think we may really get to see their programs, though. Now that we've seen a number of the other SD's , the show version of theirs looks like it would be one of the better ones.

I'm giddy !

Giddy is an understatement for me...I just cannot conceive them retiring at this age. So I only want them to take it sloooowly and be extra cautious, and look at the big picture. No rush, and one thing at a time as they planed it in the first place.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's great to hear. However, I can't say I particularly liked their SD as skated in All That Skate-

their SD music is listed as "SD Tango/Waltz/Tango; music is Schenkst Du Beim Tango Mir Dein Herz (Dajos Bela & Seim Tanzorchester); Nights and Days (Waldemar Kazanecki)"

I have cordially disliked all the waltz/tango hybrids this season (not for the skating, but because the two just do not meld well together.

However, I am really excited to see their Latin FD, as we haven't seen even a show version yet.

Yay! Thanks for the news, Doris. I'm thrilled to know that we'll get to see them sometime soon.

Tess and Scott are true Olympic Champions. However, it begs the question: What to do next? Not easy to say to defend Oly gold. Warm good luck to them if they decide to compete again.

Doris re Latin Dances. They are not Waltzes on the upbeat or show pieces like in DWTS. They should be executed on skates the same way they are executed on the dance floor. That is, on the downbeat. There is no shaking of the Tusch; but a one cheek at a time going in verticle direction because the knees do a lot of quick rising and falling. This was mistaken for shaking. Even the more austere Rhumba has the same sinuous style of the hips and being a romantic dance, should not show the DWTS version.

I'll look forward to seeing a youtube of Tessa and Scott's latin dance on youtube, I guess.

Ravensque

On the Ice
:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay: So happy about this. Anyone think they can regain their momentum by Worlds to win again? I would hope so, but it's an uphill climb as D&W are clearly the favs at this point; however, V&M have done it before.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
V&M winning Worlds this year? No chance. There is no way they are back at their best with her injury and so long off. Just look at 2009 for example where they were lucky to even medal at Worlds. I would predict if they compete at Worlds they will be at about 75% and finish 3rd or 4th. Which I dont think they want thus I predict they wont skate at Worlds and will only return next season.

herios

Medalist
:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay: So happy about this. Anyone think they can regain their momentum by Worlds to win again? I would hope so, but it's an uphill climb as D&W are clearly the favs at this point; however, V&M have done it before.

One thing we know, and that is these are fierce competitors. They have always been and always will. But how Tessa's legs will respond to the demading training, is anybody's guess. We will just have to be patient and wait to see.

Biology has it's one agenda and sometimes interfere with the most determined will. And you just have to live with it.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
V&M winning Worlds this year? No chance. There is no way they are back at their best with her injury and so long off. Just look at 2009 for example where they were lucky to even medal at Worlds. I would predict if they compete at Worlds they will be at about 75% and finish 3rd or 4th. Which I dont think they want thus I predict they wont skate at Worlds and will only return next season.

You don't think the judges will PCS them to second? I agree that if they don't think they can get 2nd, they won't go (which makes sense, no point in losing ground), but I don't think that SC will let them be dumped

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:) I think there can be little doubt that if/when we see them , they will really feel they're ready. I can't believe for an instant that they would take any thoughtless risks.

I have generally not been fond of the tango / waltz SD's with 2 exceptions..V/M and P/I ..both because of the way the music is cut, or blended , so there's no jarring changes in the tone ( register ?) .. so even though there're 2 rhythms it's more 'all of a piece' than what some others have done.

So I'm looking forward to seeing both again for confirmation..V/M's in finished form , P/I's hopefully flub-free.

Last edited:

npa

Match Penalty
Sorry, but they will have higerst PCS and in worst case will be second :)
And this two have best SD of the season and best CD technick (we will not have Dom-Sh and Del-Sh). So i think they will be best in SD.
As for FD - dont know. This music is too fast. But in any case we will watch reall dance tem at WCh - what could be better?

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Tess and Scott are true Olympic Champions. However, it begs the question: What to do next? Not easy to say to defend Oly gold. Warm good luck to them if they decide to compete again.

I wonder the same thing as well. They skated beautifully at the Olympics and deserved to win without a doubt. I just hope that they are able to keep pushing themselves technically and artistically. It would be a shame if they somehow "peaked" at the Olympics and were never able to return to that level again. How many American skaters (or even international skaters) have we seen come out and just floor the audience/judges and rightfully win a world/national title only to see them fizzle out shortly thereafter.

Having said that, I can't imagine that in this particular discipline (dance) one could "fizzle" out as quickly as in the others. Plus, having Davis/White and the Shib's at the same training location, there is always someone to push you.

On a side note, I REALLY wish that Davis/White would recreate the Bollywood dance into an OD (or was it already an OD? I get confused with dance - but basically, the "long program" version of dance). It was wonderful. I could say the same about their Beatles medley from a few years back as well. Those are my two most favorite programs in recent memory.

Darby

Layfan

Record Breaker

Doris re Latin Dances. They are not Waltzes on the upbeat or show pieces like in DWTS. They should be executed on skates the same way they are executed on the dance floor. That is, on the downbeat. There is no shaking of the Tusch; but a one cheek at a time going in verticle direction because the knees do a lot of quick rising and falling. This was mistaken for shaking. Even the more austere Rhumba has the same sinuous style of the hips and being a romantic dance, should not show the DWTS version.

I'll look forward to seeing a youtube of Tessa and Scott's latin dance on youtube, I guess.

SO TRUE! :laugh:

For me this subtlety in Latin Dances is something you have to grow up with or never truly master. Kind of like being native vs. fluent in a language. But some people learn as adults better than others - the mark of being a true natural dancer. (I'm not. :p)

Last edited:

herios

Medalist

Many might wonder what could be motivating them. I have a very good reason in my mind. And is not the defence of their Olympic crown. Tessa just became a world champion as well. Would they be healthy and in the hunt at the top, don't you think Tessa would thrive to dance in her hometown London in 2013 and become THERE WC AGAIN? Just imagine her sitting in the stands like a champion of the past at...24 y of age and not been able to skate. Isn't this a very good motivation?.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
er...um...did I miss something. Has Worlds been assigned to London ONT. in 2013? Perhaps I missed this...:confused:

Okay, clearly I missed the announcement that Worlds was in London, ONT in 2013. Yikes..I wonder what else I've missed. Sorry.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)herios..so true. That would be something to remember. Besides that , they love to compete ( and challenge themselves ) and once you've turned pro..there's nothing to replace that experience. Scott says they hope to have a long career , and why not ? They're still so young.

I don't know what to say to those who think they can only hope to come 3rd or 4th at world's..I think we must exist in different dimensions. ;)... Even with V/M at 75-80 % , I don't think P/B could beat them. ( And don't misunderstand, I like P/B a lot .. more than I ever liked D/S ... and think their two programs are the most appealing they've ever had. ) Yes, they've placed relatively close to D/W, but D/W have not been at the top of their game , due to program changes.

Assuming that they come back at least that strong and that their FD is good ( which I expect )..even at 75-80 %, still only D/W offer a real challenge , and much depends on how much their FD improves.