Triple Axel
Triple Flip+Triple Toeloop
Choreo Spirals
Triple Salchow
Flying Camel Spin
Straight Line Step Sequence
Double Axel
Flying Change Foot Spin Combo

I know it's not realistic,but I'm happy it seems she's practiced 3F-3T again as I was worried she might think it as weak because of having an injury during practice. Besides,she did 3Lo-3Lo in 6-minute-practice.So she'll attempt them in future.
But it's most likely she's moving up 2A-2T to 2A-3T like JO.

babayaga

On the Ice
Wait, this cannot be true - this layout has three different triples repeated. Maybe one of the triple-triple is 3Flip+3Loop or something?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
i don't think Miki is that bad. In term of performaces she did the best she could to her ability and all of her jumps the best out of all the ladies in the competition, especially the Lutzs, loops, 2A+3T and these jumps deserved good +GOE. She improve alot on the non jumps elements and I can see other will not agree her non jumps elemetns are supbar beause Miki is not lyrical or bellirina type skater like Mao, Cizney or Marai. She desnt't make a single mistake in this whole competition, (not even minor) and i think she deserve her title. I don't know wahat kind of choreography peoples want when skaters skate to piano music, lol, bc its just a classical piece. It doenst come with any story or theme.

I disagree that Miki deserved good GOE for her 2A+3T. She landed with a low back and not a smooth outflowing edge. That deserves 0 GOE. On her second Triple Lutz she also almost put her free foot down after landing. I think it is very clear that Miki's non-jump elements are below Mao's as well. Less speed in the spins, weak positions, and even some centering issues (look at how she travelled durng the last spin of the program). Her spiral is a single, easy position and executed with little speed. Her footwork does not flow as smoothy between the steps, nor have as difficult of steps (look at Mao's one-footed pattern, eventually ending with a series of twizzles - WOW).

In terms of the choreography the problem is not at all that Miki isn't playing a "character". Look at Mao's music! They both have classic piano music. The difference is that Mao's choreohraphy is arranged such that the elements actually move with the music and she does actual choreography between the elements. Miki simply does 2 jumping passes + 2 spins, and then an ENORMOUS rest section, and then 5 jumping passes, and then another quick breather before going into the footwork sequence + final spin.

It's extremely easy and unimaginative choreography and it doesn't interpret the music. The elements are just there. They don't work with the music most of the time or build throught the program in impactful or unexpected ways. The very way Miki delivers this poor choreography is inferior to Mao's presentation as well. She simply doesn't hit accents in the music. Her posture and usage of her limbs isn't nearly as good. Her basic skating across the ice isn't as skillful.

Miki has good jumps and a very appealing look on the ice. That's it, though. Mao is on an entirely different level in terms of every Program Component and non-jump element.

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
Can anybody translate Mao's post-skate interview pls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMubps0cRws
Q-Good job,what do you think of your performance?
A -let me see,at first view I did what I could do so far.I was "Yes" when it finished,so I'm satisfied with it.
Q- After 6-minute-practice,what did you think in the room?
A-I thought the first jump as a key by all means,so I focus on do the same 3A as the day before.
Q-How's your jumps today?
A-I didn't check it yet.
Q-what does your smile today mean?
A-It was something like relived.
Q-How have your feeling changed through this competition?
A-finally,I climbed big mountain.I got a stronger skater,I feel.
Q-What part?
A-I did as possible as I could at the last chance. That'll work well other competitions and the rest of this season,too.
Q-Thank you.
A-Thank you.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Yeah one of those 3-3's would have to be a 3Flip-3Loop.

That jump layout is unbelievably difficult, though. It's a harder layout than a lot of Men's programs (the ones who don't attempt a Quad).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I disagree that Miki deserved good GOE for her 2A+3T. She landed with a low back and not a smooth outflowing edge. That deserves 0 GOE. On her second Triple Lutz she also almost put her free foot down after landing. I think it is very clear that Miki's non-jump elements are below Mao's as well. Less speed in the spins, weak positions, and even some centering issues (look at how she travelled durng the last spin of the program). Her spiral is a single, easy position and executed with little speed. Her footwork does not flow as smoothy between the steps, nor have as difficult of steps (look at Mao's one-footed pattern, eventually ending with a series of twizzles - WOW).

In terms of the choreography the problem is not at all that Miki isn't playing a "character". Look at Mao's music! They both have classic piano music. The difference is that Mao's choreohraphy is arranged such that the elements actually move with the music and she does actual choreography between the elements. Miki simply does 2 jumping passes + 2 spins, and then an ENORMOUS rest section, and then 5 jumping passes, and then another quick breather before going into the footwork sequence + final spin.

It's extremely easy and unimaginative choreography and it doesn't interpret the music. The elements are just there. They don't work with the music most of the time or build throught the program in impactful or unexpected ways. The very way Miki delivers this poor choreography is inferior to Mao's presentation as well. She simply doesn't hit accents in the music. Her posture and usage of her limbs isn't nearly as good. Her basic skating across the ice isn't as skillful.

Miki has good jumps and a very appealing look on the ice. That's it, though. Mao is on an entirely different level in terms of every Program Component and non-jump element.

Still though, Mao did not complete her end technically. She did 4 non UR/non edge call triples. (2 3F; 2 3L). 3Z go an edge call, 3A was UR and she doubled the Salchow. She also did not do a three-jump combo. (Base value 54.53)

Kankano actually had better technical content. 6 non UR/edge triples with four different types triples (3F, 3L, 3-3 toe loop, 3S). She had a 3Z edge call. (Base value 57.00)

Miki had five triples but most were on the back end and included four different types of triples (2 3Z, 1 3L, two 3T, 3S). (Base value 58.66)

Miki should have probably gotten less PCS than Mao, but should be a point or two higher than Kanako's and I agree her +GOE on her non jump elements is a little high.

So in the end, I would say Miki is still a deserving winner, but she should have not won by 10 points...maybe more like 2 or 3.

Last edited:

Hikaru

Final Flight
I though there is a "moment" between Miki and Morozov after the score come out, where they look at each other face really really close. lol
LOL I noticed that, a moment indeed, kinda weird but whatever.
I think Miki has come a long way as a skater with these 2 programs, her SP is gorgeous and I can see she is improving. She'll never be a ballerina type, but she's working to find an artistry that suits and works for her. That's good!

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
I was so impressed by Mao's program. She is the skater whom you can enjoy whether she jumps or not. And that is a true talent. She is so fluid and smoothe on the ice. I really do not care if her jumps were UR or not. I just enjoyed her program. She is the most beautiful and elegant skater in the world right now. (Altough I would love to add my favorite, Alissa to the list.) Her non-jump element is amazing. her footwork (her twizzles I love), spins, in between spiral postion, they were all GORGOUS. i appreciate her style much more than skaters who just gets huge GOE only on jumps and win.
And she is a fighter. I can not imagine how many times she felt so discouraged that she did not even skate. I feel how much she loves skating. She has such a class. She never slacks o ff even her exhibitin prgrams. She always gives her best on everything.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
LOL I noticed that, a moment indeed, kinda weird but whatever.
I think Miki has come a long way as a skater with these 2 programs, her SP is gorgeous and I can see she is improving. She'll never be a ballerina type, but she's working to find an artistry that suits and works for her. That's good!

So did I, but maybe it was like a "Oh! Too close. Uh. I. can't. move. What do I do, what do I do" kinda moment. Idk. It was funny.

Her costumes have definitely improved over last year.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Miki has never been my type of skater but I have a tremendous amount of respect and like for her. She, IMO, has improved the most over the years of any skater, ever. She was this jumping bean in winning Jr Worlds 2004 and hyped to hold her own at Sr Worlds 2004. All that hype about the 4s and 3lz/3lp seemed to be her destiny, the way she was to leave her mark. Yet, she has developed into a very well rounded skater and really has improved in every aspect or her skating! I am soooo impressed I cannot put it into words!!!

Mao, though, is a sentimental favorite of mine. I love her kind of skating. I don't even know how to say what it is that I like except everything she does seems easy, natural. I love her spins, spirals, footwork and how she strokes across the ice. I love her arm motions and the tilt of her head. I don't care if she does a 3a but I admire her greatly for her determination to succeed. I greatly respect her dedication for becoming the best she can be by fixing her weaknesses instead of playing up her strengths.

Long story short-I am extremely happy with the 1-2 finishers this competition!

That does not go to say I am not happy for Kanako-she is a delight and such a joy to watch! I really hoped Akiko would be Bronze, but she just did not Bring It. I look forward to seeing the top 3 at Worlds, competing in their home country!

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
I love this podium so much-Miki,Mao and Kanako.
Miki skates with her own emotion. I didn't like her FS this year until yesterday,but it's totally different. She's really a gold medal contender at World this season.
Mao finally brought it together at this important competition. her FS makes me feel being a dream as music title. It's so comfortable for me to watch her. Her skating itself changes,too.The Satos rocks!!
Kanako's a dancer on ice. Her performance is something new to Japan. She's 16y.o,so she muct be a stronger,more beautiful skater in the future.

Sad for Akiko,but happy she continues her career next season. Hope for her perfect program at 4CC.
Another happiness for me is Mao and Miki's make-up. So natural,beautiful and elegant!
Junior skaters did well here. Can't wait for them,too.

miki88

Medalist
I gotta say Miki looks far more beautiful and elegant than last year exotic look. Mao's makeup is much better as well. I just wish she didn't have those roses on her SP dress!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Miki is a strong jumper, but that is about it. Her PCS should have been lower than Mao's. Miki will not win World's unless Yu Na has a meltdown.

wallylutz

Medalist
Mao's planned layout is here.
Triple Axel+Double Toeloop+Double Loop
Triple Lutz
Change Foot Spin Combo
Triple Axel
Choreo Spirals
Triple Salchow
Flying Camel Spin
Straight Line Step Sequence
Double Axel
Flying Change Foot Spin Combo

I know it's not realistic,but I'm happy it seems she's practiced 3F-3T again as I was worried she might think it as weak because of having an injury during practice. Besides,she did 3Lo-3Lo in 6-minute-practice.So she'll attempt them in future.
But it's most likely she's moving up 2A-2T to 2A-3T like JO.

Sorry, there is no way what you posted is correct. In this layout, 3 triples are repeated more than 1 time, which is not allowed under the rules. Can you make sure you didn't make a typo somewhere?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Sorry, there is no way what you posted is correct. In this layout, 3 triples are repeated more than 1 time, which is not allowed under the rules. Can you make sure you didn't make a typo somewhere?

They discussed it about three posts after the one you quoted.

NMURA

Medalist
Miki is a strong jumper, but that is about it. Her PCS should have been lower than Mao's. Miki will not win World's unless Yu Na has a meltdown.

Clean Ando will receive huge PCS as proved at LA worlds. The home factor could boost more than that. Kim can't make more than one error to beat clean Ando. Is that possible for the FIRST competiton of the season?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The layout is good if she does the second 3F not in combo, isn't it? Does Mao have problems with the loop (like Yu Na does)? If not, why doesn't she substitue the loop for the lutz, since she gets edge calls on the lutz?