Japanese Nationals Dec. 24 to 26 | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals Dec. 24 to 26

miki88

Medalist
I think right now both Yuna and Miki jump content will be almost the same (2 Lutz, 2 Toe, 1 Salcow and Flip(yuna) and Loop(miki). Their TES will be almost the same, barring how many jumps are layout after 1/2 way mark. Miki 3Loop in the SP was just gigantic, and def deserve +2GOE. Mao will come close to them, if she can land all her jumps contents clean, but having no ture lutz, she is already in 3 points behind.

I think Miki needs to bring that 3-3 she keeps on talking about. She isn't going to beat Yuna on PCS or GOE, so she needs to have a higher base value to have a chance.

pokky_oc

On the Ice
I absolutely loved Mao's program!! It was just breathtakingly beautiful! I thought it was almost as good as her Nocturne actually! She's back in the game ! She does have time to prepare for the Worlds so I'm just really hoping to see her skate clean in March:biggrin:

Her layout was suppose to be...

SP

3A
3Lo+3Lo
3F
CCoSp4
FSSp4
SlSt3
LSp4

FS

3A+2T
3F+2Lo
3Lz
CCoSp4
3A
3F+2Lo+2Lo
ChSp1
3S
FSSp4
SlSt3
3Lo
FCCoSp4

So Mao should be able to improve her score by March :biggrin:

Miki is just really really consistent! If she perfects the 3Lz+3Lo by March, we should might see her on the top of the podium in Tokyo :biggrin: I really like her programs this year!!

I'm still kinda feel sorry for Akiko for not making the team... I think she's a lot more mature and artistic than Kanako. Still, I think Kanako going to the Worlds might be a good thing. She might bring fun and excitement to the competition!!

Does anyone know what Yu-Na's program layout is like? Obviously she's still the favourite to win in March... ( 228 )...

And Mirai and Alissa ( I'm hoping for them to make the U.S team ) should be contending for medals as well!

Anyway I thought this competition was awesome :biggrin:

Last edited:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Miki is stunningly beautiful and her reaction after her performance is priceless. It's been long since I've seen that fire and determination from her. The ladies at this event were so strong!
I find it curious that everyone thinks Miki CAN be a threat to Yuna. It's better to say Miki is the favourite for gold because she skated well all season. Yuna is a big question mark. She could either win this easily or not make the podium, nobody knows. At her best, she will end up ahead Ando though. And Mao might just throw in 2 3A in the long and go for a 7 triple performance, so the flutz will not make a difference in TES between her and Miki/Yuna. And of course, there is Kanako whom we must not count out.

miki88

Medalist
Miki is stunningly beautiful and her reaction after her performance is priceless. It's been long since I've seen that fire and determination from her. The ladies at this event were so strong!
I find it curious that everyone thinks Miki CAN be a threat to Yuna. It's better to say Miki is the favourite for gold because she skated well all season. Yuna is a big question mark. She could either win this easily or not make the podium, nobody knows. At her best, she will end up ahead Ando though. And Mao might just throw in 2 3A in the long and go for a 7 triple performance, so the flutz will not make a difference in TES between her and Miki/Yuna. And of course, there is Kanako whom we must not count out.

Because Yuna usually get huge GOE advantage that she can afford a few falls. So unless she skates her worst performance ever, it's unlikely she'll be off the podium. However, since Worlds is held in Japan, Miki and Mao may get some hometown boost in PCS. Although I never found the hometown boost in Japan as ridiculous as those given in Canada.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Well, if Miki gets the same GOE's on her jumps at worlds as the ones she got at nationals, Yuna will not afford a few falls. I agree, it's unlikely she'll be off the podium, but if Miki continues to skate this way, it's not a given that Yuna with a few mistakes will win. I'm not trying to bash Yuna or anything because I really like her, better then Miki, but it's not going to be a catwalk for her. If she comes to worlds, she must be prepared and determined to fight for the title. I'm annoyed that after japan nationals, where the top 3 were gorgeous, I read things like "no one can beat yuna at worlds". Remember 2010 worlds and that says it all.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Anyway as I expected none of the Japanese ladies impressed that much or showed to be any threat to Yu Na Kim for Worlds. I guess we will need to wait for U.S Nationals or Europeans to see if anyone does. It is good to see Mao skating better but obviously still has a long way to go to be anywhere near her best again.
Oh boy, it must be hard not to get enjoyment in anythng..:disagree: this was Japanese Nationals, not Worlds, the level was insane high, these skaters were among the best in the world and it was a great fight for men and ladies, it was one of the best competitions I have enjoyed this year. Who cares who will threat Yuna in three months from now? And what Mao did, to come back like this, this is the inspiration of an athlete.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

Is it really accurate to state that Ando skated well all season, though? At the GPF and CoR she had pretty bad short programs, and was only able to overcome the points deficit at CoR despite winning the long in both. Even with hometown/national judging, her score is comparable to Yu Na Kim's at TEB last season (Kim's first event)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Miki really deserved to win. She was very good, and her jump layout was by far the most difficult out of all the ladies, and she nailed everything.

Her jump layout isn't the most difficult. Kanako's is a little harder. Mao's is also harder, in terms of planned content anyway.

For me, Mao deserved to win. Her program and her skating are GORGEOUS. She gave the best performance by far. Beautiful lines and flow. Interpretative, continuous choreography. In terms of jumps Miki did more, but Mao was better on the spins and spiral and footwork sequence so I don't even think Miki really deserved much higher of a tech score. Mao's skating is just so much better than Miki's. She should have had a huge PCS lead over her. I wouldn't say Miki nailed everything either. Some of her landings could have been better. ALL she has is her jumps. None of her other technical elements are great and that program is so bad. She does spins (and not pretty ones) back-to-back and just walks around the ice and doesn't become one with the music, waiting until the halfway point to do a ton of jumping passes in a row (not the best interpretation of music there either).

Miki's program is nothing but a setup to gain points as easily as possible. She does barely anything in the first half of the program. It's not hard to put all those jumps in the second half of the program when you take, literally, a 50 second break beforehand. She seriously does nothing but STEP around the ice (and not in a way like Florent Amodio that takes a lot of energy and requires great talent to sell the movements), and a very simple spiral, all of that time before the second half of the program kicks in.

I think Kanako even should have been ahead of Miki in the Freeskate. Her performance had less energy than usual, she seemed more nervous, but she hit all of her jumps in a layout that is a bit harder than Miki's (albeit with not as good of technique) and has FAR better choreography than Miki. I honestly believe Miki's choreography is the biggest joke of this season. I don't want to put her down, but she objectively should be receiving 5's and 6's for Choreography and Interpretation. *shrug*

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
Oh boy, it must be hard not to get enjoyment in anythng..:disagree: this was Japanese Nationals, not Worlds, the level was insane high, these skaters were among the best in the world and it was a great fight for men and ladies, it was one of the best competitions I have enjoyed this year. Who cares who will threat Yuna in three months from now? And what Mao did, to come back like this, this is the inspiration of an athlete.

Exactly. It's like just congratulate them for even making it to worlds...especially Mao. Who cares if they don't beat Yu na. It's not like people are expecting that anyway.

M

mylastduchess

I'm actually very surprised almost all the medalists will go to 4cc this year, (sad for Fumie didn't even get a B competition)

Just watched Mao's long program. What a gorgeous skate it is. I can't believe someone got marked above that! (Blades, when I agree with you, I find you astonishingly eloquent, and now is one of those times.) But it really doesn't matter in the long run. Good for Miki for doing so well, and good for Mao for picking herself up off her knees and forging ahead. I mean, the girl did a triple axel in combination! And then she went and did a spiral that's just about as good as Czisny's. How can one skater be so good at both aspects of the sport? Worlds is going to be tremendous to behold.

christinaskater

Medalist
Kanako was really amazing, 7 triples in a packed program! Her best performance ever and in the most important event to qualify for Worlds!!

Mao was amazing! Her artistry is incredible! It's like an MK/ Janet Lynn moments where they cast a spell upon the audience! She was amazing! Ethereal!

Last edited:

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Her jump layout isn't the most difficult. Kanako's is a little harder. Mao's is also harder, in terms of planned content anyway.

For me, Mao deserved to win. Her program and her skating are GORGEOUS. She gave the best performance by far. Beautiful lines and flow. Interpretative, continuous choreography. In terms of jumps Miki did more, but Mao was better on the spins and spiral and footwork sequence so I don't even think Miki really deserved much higher of a tech score. Mao's skating is just so much better than Miki's. She should have had a huge PCS lead over her. I wouldn't say Miki nailed everything either. Some of her landings could have been better. ALL she has is her jumps. None of her other technical elements are great and that program is so bad. She does spins (and not pretty ones) back-to-back and just walks around the ice and doesn't become one with the music, waiting until the halfway point to do a ton of jumping passes in a row (not the best interpretation of music there either).

Miki's program is nothing but a setup to gain points as easily as possible. She does barely anything in the first half of the program. It's not hard to put all those jumps in the second half of the program when you take, literally, a 50 second break beforehand. She seriously does nothing but STEP around the ice (and not in a way like Florent Amodio that takes a lot of energy and requires great talent to sell the movements), and a very simple spiral, all of that time before the second half of the program kicks in.

I think Kanako even should have been ahead of Miki in the Freeskate. Her performance had less energy than usual, she seemed more nervous, but she hit all of her jumps in a layout that is a bit harder than Miki's (albeit with not as good of technique) and has FAR better choreography than Miki. I honestly believe Miki's choreography is the biggest joke of this season. I don't want to put her down, but she objectively should be receiving 5's and 6's for Choreography and Interpretation. *shrug*

i don't think Miki is that bad. In term of performaces she did the best she could to her ability and all of her jumps the best out of all the ladies in the competition, especially the Lutzs, loops, 2A+3T and these jumps deserved good +GOE. She improve alot on the non jumps elements and I can see other will not agree her non jumps elemetns are supbar beause Miki is not lyrical or bellirina type skater like Mao, Cizney or Marai. She desnt't make a single mistake in this whole competition, (not even minor) and i think she deserve her title. I don't know wahat kind of choreography peoples want when skaters skate to piano music, lol, bc its just a classical piece. It doenst come with any story or theme.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight

Alot of peoples forget the GOE format is change this season. Even if all the judges give Kim's triple+triple +2GOE across, it only come down to +1.4(after taking out the highest, lowest, and randoms). Kim will not get crazy +GOE mark like she used too so the gap in TES wise will close a little bit more. And i doubt, the judges will give her skyrocketing PCS when she debute her programs. It will be the first time the judges see so it can go either way. Also Kim doesn't have consistent 3S as well, and her landing on this jump is pretty much 50/50.

As for Kanako, the best plaement she could get will be 4th or 5th, barring anyone has major meltdown (Kim with her usual one mistake FS, Asada with her < 3A and Miki with her < 3F (if she goes for it) or Marai with her underroatatated jumps. if she can get PCS around 60s mark, that will be a break through for her.