Japanese Nationals Dec. 24 to 26 | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals Dec. 24 to 26

herios

Medalist
OIC. Was curious. I thought Taka outskated Dai today. (and yesterday too)

Dai is a crowd pleaser, and the audience loved him, but Taka had the technical contents, even w/ 2 falls. Luckily for him, he fells on the opening quad and 3S (lil pt lost).

Exactly. the scores are giving you the clear picture.

Kozuka has defeated Takahashi by 8 points on the TES, the judges gave the nod on PCS to Dai with 4 points exactly, so it was still a gap of 4 points due to the techincal content. Of course, with -2 due to the falls Kozuka had, the gap narrowed to only 2 points in the end.

treeloving

Medalist
Just see the protocal, Dai got downgrade on 4flip, that explain why he is behind Kozuka in FS. If he rotated it, he will be first at FS because his PSC is like 4 points higher than Kozuka.

I'm surprise that Mao and Miki's psc is so close.

Last edited:

NMURA

Medalist
Per Arakawa Kozuka was landing 4T just fine during practice. She said it was a shame that he fell.

Also he landed 4T in Vancouver.

I don't think it takes only 20 attempts to master a quad.

Kozuka never landed a clean quad. The best attempts of Vancouver and TEB were both two footed. For him, a fallen 4T is only two points less than "good" ones. That is an advantage against others.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Taka K for becoming National Champion and to Oda and Dai.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Ando with nearly the same PCS as Asada is a laugher too. The Japanese federation is crazy if they think backing Miki hunchback Ando is the way to go win another World title. Particularly with Kim showing up at Worlds now, Ando will never be a threat to Kim again. Mao in decent form atleast could be.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Akiko :cry:

What's up with her getting so little +GOE... (obviously no GOE on the botched lutz but still)

Hope she can make it up in the LP!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Men results

1 Takahiko Kozuka 87.91 164.02 251.93
2 Nobunari Oda 77.48 160.00 237.48
3 Daisuke Takahashi 74.78 162.01 236.79
4 Yuzuru Hanyu 78.94 141.12 220.06

This is a pretty disappointing competition. No one landed the quad at JPN nationals in last three years. Kozuka was gifted 164 points with two falls.

Right now I can't recall any man who did well in any of the the nationals so far?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Mens protocols are not up at the English site but are at the Japanese site.

Daisuke's major placement-deciding issue is his 4F being downgraded, resulting in fewer points credited than Kozuka's and Oda's fallen 4Ts. (I am seeing identical scoring for a 4T fall applied no matter which skater or where the competition is held.) But it's so good to see Dai back to being himself, skating his heart out and earning his PCS. His chances at Worlds depends on his TES but he has time to recover physically and to train his quad(s).

I haven't seen the other top men's videos yet.

From the protocol I can see Kozuka garnered points with 2 high scoring combos in the later half earning bonuses. He also has room to improve his score by upgrading the 3A+2T+1Lo. He scored well with his spins while Dai scored with his footwork.

Last edited:

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
I'm sooo happy that Mao is in 1st. Woohoo!! :) I hope the momentum continues for her :)

I'm also happy for the 3 boys heading to Worlds :) it's the same 3 I would have picked. I'm sad it sounded like a splatfest, but I haven't seen any vids yet. I can't wait to watch though :)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
People complaining about thread drift on the internet never fail to make me laugh. I understand the frustration, but I have yet to go to a website where a strict interpretation of the thread title happened throughout the discussion.

I don't get Miki. I really don't. To me, it's clear that she feels the music, and makes an effort to convey that on the ice. But I never once understand WHAT she's feeling. I don't necessarily get any impact from her performance because of that. It's like reading a book in a foreign language that I've just learned. I can't argue there's nothing there because of my own lack of understanding, but I can't pretend that I get the impact of her skating. Additionally, I have to admit that I always view "The Mission" as long program music - it requires more time to allow the ebb/flow to really have an impact. Oh well, I'm glad she's skating clean. Happy that Mao was largely clean. Disappointed that Suzuki wasn't. And I think we can state right now that Kozuka has taken the "third man" title and shipped it back to Carol Reed.

lavender

Record Breaker
Most of all I'm just happy Mao is doing well....Miki. I'm also so happy that Dai and Taka have made the podium to get to worlds.

I actually think this is one of Miki's best performances. She showed to me more artistry.

Wow based on the performances I would have give Dai the win in the long program if it were based on the 6.0. If he didn't botched the quad or fully rotated it he would have won the long under COP too. That double at the end didn't help either. Either way I'm happy for Taka and Dai. I love both of their skating.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i'm so happy for Mao! Seeing that smile after the triple flip was just so nice. Mao always proves her critics wrong in the end...and that's why we love her. I just hope she can maintain this lead in the free.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Ando with nearly the same PCS as Asada is a laugher too. The Japanese federation is crazy if they think backing Miki hunchback Ando is the way to go win another World title. Particularly with Kim showing up at Worlds now, Ando will never be a threat to Kim again. Mao in decent form atleast could be.

Miki is the most consistent skater currently. And her TES content is enought to challlange Kim. Remember Kim doesnt do the 3Loop and MIki doesnt do the 3F, and right now both jump valuse are less than 0.2. And you dont know what condition Kim will show up at the world. Nothing is set in stone. Mao doesnt pull her act by world, Miki is a reasonable choice.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Miki is the most consistent skater currently. And her TES content is enought to challlange Kim. Remember Kim doesnt do the 3Loop and MIki doesnt do the 3F, and right now both jump valuse are less than 0.2. And you dont know what condition Kim will show up at the world. Nothing is set in stone. Mao doesnt pull her act by world, Miki is a reasonable choice.

Kim would destroy Ando on PCS, Spins, jump GOE, and Ando doesnt even do triple-triple combos that are ratified by international judges anymore. When Ando was at the peak of her skating and much better than now and Kim nowhere near the dominant skater she is today, she needed Kim to fall twice and have another jump discounted to beat her at Worlds, so imagine now. Sorry Ando is no threat to Kim. Asada could be if she gets her act together. The Japanese judges would be wise to push Asada's PCS forward more than Ando's if she is getting her act back together. To back Ando is to hope for a bronze medal at Worlds if others screw up.

You are right that Ando has been more consistent but an even reasonably in form Mao is by far the better skater and a bigger threat to win Worlds than Ando ever would be at this point.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Kim would destroy Ando on PCS, Spins, jump GOE, and Ando doesnt even do triple-triple combos that are ratified by international judges anymore. When Ando was at the peak of her skating and much better than now and Kim nowhere near the dominant skater she is today, she needed Kim to fall twice and have another jump discounted to beat her at Worlds, so imagine now. Sorry Ando is no threat to Kim. Asada could be if she gets her act together. The Japanese judges would be wise to push Asada's PCS forward more than Ando's if she is getting her act back together. To back Ando is to hope for a bronze medal at Worlds if others screw up.

You are right that Ando has been more consistent but an even reasonably in form Mao is by far the better skater and a bigger threat to win Worlds than Ando ever would be at this point.

We know Miki wouldnt be getting huge PCS compare to the other two. but at least putting Miki on world team will possibily get Japan 2/3 medals count if both Mao and her deliver. Who will be on podium or what color, guess we will know in March.

jovani2293

On the Ice
Kim is in big trouble in the long. In order to do the 7 jumping passes, she can't do the triple-triple less she go for the triple loop, because of the only two double axels in the long. Also she got many point in the spirals, and those are gone. The PCS increases as the program develops through the season, Kim is going in worlds without completing either of her programs. The PCS is bound to be lower then usual.