Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Nationals Dec. 24 to 26

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    Miki really deserved to win. She was very good, and her jump layout was by far the most difficult out of all the ladies, and she nailed everything.
    Her jump layout isn't the most difficult. Kanako's is a little harder. Mao's is also harder, in terms of planned content anyway.

For me, Mao deserved to win. Her program and her skating are GORGEOUS. She gave the best performance by far. Beautiful lines and flow. Interpretative, continuous choreography. In terms of jumps Miki did more, but Mao was better on the spins and spiral and footwork sequence so I don't even think Miki really deserved much higher of a tech score. Mao's skating is just so much better than Miki's. She should have had a huge PCS lead over her. I wouldn't say Miki nailed everything either. Some of her landings could have been better. ALL she has is her jumps. None of her other technical elements are great and that program is so bad. She does spins (and not pretty ones) back-to-back and just walks around the ice and doesn't become one with the music, waiting until the halfway point to do a ton of jumping passes in a row (not the best interpretation of music there either).

Miki's program is nothing but a setup to gain points as easily as possible. She does barely anything in the first half of the program. It's not hard to put all those jumps in the second half of the program when you take, literally, a 50 second break beforehand. She seriously does nothing but STEP around the ice (and not in a way like Florent Amodio that takes a lot of energy and requires great talent to sell the movements), and a very simple spiral, all of that time before the second half of the program kicks in.

I think Kanako even should have been ahead of Miki in the Freeskate. Her performance had less energy than usual, she seemed more nervous, but she hit all of her jumps in a layout that is a bit harder than Miki's (albeit with not as good of technique) and has FAR better choreography than Miki. I honestly believe Miki's choreography is the biggest joke of this season. I don't want to put her down, but she objectively should be receiving 5's and 6's for Choreography and Interpretation. *shrug*
    Last edited by Blades of Passion; 12-26-2010 at 03:38 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Oh boy, it must be hard not to get enjoyment in anythng.. this was Japanese Nationals, not Worlds, the level was insane high, these skaters were among the best in the world and it was a great fight for men and ladies, it was one of the best competitions I have enjoyed this year. Who cares who will threat Yuna in three months from now? And what Mao did, to come back like this, this is the inspiration of an athlete.

Exactly. It's like just congratulate them for even making it to worlds...especially Mao. Who cares if they don't beat Yu na. It's not like people are expecting that anyway.

mylastduchess
    I'm actually very surprised almost all the medalists will go to 4cc this year, (sad for Fumie didn't even get a B competition)

Custom Title
    Just watched Mao's long program. What a gorgeous skate it is. I can't believe someone got marked above that! (Blades, when I agree with you, I find you astonishingly eloquent, and now is one of those times.) But it really doesn't matter in the long run. Good for Miki for doing so well, and good for Mao for picking herself up off her knees and forging ahead. I mean, the girl did a triple axel in combination! And then she went and did a spiral that's just about as good as Czisny's. How can one skater be so good at both aspects of the sport? Worlds is going to be tremendous to behold.

I guess Nationals really is Mao's miracle event. Haha.

Congrats to the winners!

Kanako was really amazing, 7 triples in a packed program! Her best performance ever and in the most important event to qualify for Worlds!!

Mao was amazing! Her artistry is incredible! It's like an MK/ Janet Lynn moments where they cast a spell upon the audience! She was amazing! Ethereal!
    Last edited by christinaskater; 12-26-2010 at 05:18 PM.

I like Shoko Ishikawa
    Last edited by christinaskater; 12-26-2010 at 05:41 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Her jump layout isn't the most difficult. Kanako's is a little harder. Mao's is also harder, in terms of planned content anyway.

For me, Mao deserved to win. Her program and her skating are GORGEOUS. She gave the best performance by far. Beautiful lines and flow. Interpretative, continuous choreography. In terms of jumps Miki did more, but Mao was better on the spins and spiral and footwork sequence so I don't even think Miki really deserved much higher of a tech score. Mao's skating is just so much better than Miki's. She should have had a huge PCS lead over her. I wouldn't say Miki nailed everything either. Some of her landings could have been better. ALL she has is her jumps. None of her other technical elements are great and that program is so bad. She does spins (and not pretty ones) back-to-back and just walks around the ice and doesn't become one with the music, waiting until the halfway point to do a ton of jumping passes in a row (not the best interpretation of music there either).

Miki's program is nothing but a setup to gain points as easily as possible. She does barely anything in the first half of the program. It's not hard to put all those jumps in the second half of the program when you take, literally, a 50 second break beforehand. She seriously does nothing but STEP around the ice (and not in a way like Florent Amodio that takes a lot of energy and requires great talent to sell the movements), and a very simple spiral, all of that time before the second half of the program kicks in.

I think Kanako even should have been ahead of Miki in the Freeskate. Her performance had less energy than usual, she seemed more nervous, but she hit all of her jumps in a layout that is a bit harder than Miki's (albeit with not as good of technique) and has FAR better choreography than Miki. I honestly believe Miki's choreography is the biggest joke of this season. I don't want to put her down, but she objectively should be receiving 5's and 6's for Choreography and Interpretation. *shrug*
    i don't think Miki is that bad. In term of performaces she did the best she could to her ability and all of her jumps the best out of all the ladies in the competition, especially the Lutzs, loops, 2A+3T and these jumps deserved good +GOE. She improve alot on the non jumps elements and I can see other will not agree her non jumps elemetns are supbar beause Miki is not lyrical or bellirina type skater like Mao, Cizney or Marai. She desnt't make a single mistake in this whole competition, (not even minor) and i think she deserve her title. I don't know wahat kind of choreography peoples want when skaters skate to piano music, lol, bc its just a classical piece. It doenst come with any story or theme.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    Miki is stunningly beautiful and her reaction after her performance is priceless. It's been long since I've seen that fire and determination from her. The ladies at this event were so strong!
    I find it curious that everyone thinks Miki CAN be a threat to Yuna. It's better to say Miki is the favourite for gold because she skated well all season. Yuna is a big question mark. She could either win this easily or not make the podium, nobody knows. At her best, she will end up ahead Ando though. And Mao might just throw in 2 3A in the long and go for a 7 triple performance, so the flutz will not make a difference in TES between her and Miki/Yuna. And of course, there is Kanako whom we must not count out.
    Alot of peoples forget the GOE format is change this season. Even if all the judges give Kim's triple+triple +2GOE across, it only come down to +1.4(after taking out the highest, lowest, and randoms). Kim will not get crazy +GOE mark like she used too so the gap in TES wise will close a little bit more. And i doubt, the judges will give her skyrocketing PCS when she debute her programs. It will be the first time the judges see so it can go either way. Also Kim doesn't have consistent 3S as well, and her landing on this jump is pretty much 50/50.

As for Kanako, the best plaement she could get will be 4th or 5th, barring anyone has major meltdown (Kim with her usual one mistake FS, Asada with her < 3A and Miki with her < 3F (if she goes for it) or Marai with her underroatatated jumps. if she can get PCS around 60s mark, that will be a break through for her.

mylastduchess
    Can anybody translate Mao's post-skate interview pls:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMubps0cRws

Custom Title
    Mao's planned layout is here.
    Triple Axel+Double Toeloop+Double Loop
    Triple Flip+Triple Toeloop
    Triple Lutz
    Change Foot Spin Combo
    Triple Axel
    Triple Flip+Triple Toeloop
    Choreo Spirals
    Triple Salchow
    Flying Camel Spin
    Straight Line Step Sequence
    Double Axel
    Flying Change Foot Spin Combo

I know it's not realistic,but I'm happy it seems she's practiced 3F-3T again as I was worried she might think it as weak because of having an injury during practice. Besides,she did 3Lo-3Lo in 6-minute-practice.So she'll attempt them in future.
    But it's most likely she's moving up 2A-2T to 2A-3T like JO.

Custom Title
    Wait, this cannot be true - this layout has three different triples repeated. Maybe one of the triple-triple is 3Flip+3Loop or something?

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
    i don't think Miki is that bad. In term of performaces she did the best she could to her ability and all of her jumps the best out of all the ladies in the competition, especially the Lutzs, loops, 2A+3T and these jumps deserved good +GOE. She improve alot on the non jumps elements and I can see other will not agree her non jumps elemetns are supbar beause Miki is not lyrical or bellirina type skater like Mao, Cizney or Marai. She desnt't make a single mistake in this whole competition, (not even minor) and i think she deserve her title. I don't know wahat kind of choreography peoples want when skaters skate to piano music, lol, bc its just a classical piece. It doenst come with any story or theme.
    I disagree that Miki deserved good GOE for her 2A+3T. She landed with a low back and not a smooth outflowing edge. That deserves 0 GOE. On her second Triple Lutz she also almost put her free foot down after landing. I think it is very clear that Miki's non-jump elements are below Mao's as well. Less speed in the spins, weak positions, and even some centering issues (look at how she travelled durng the last spin of the program). Her spiral is a single, easy position and executed with little speed. Her footwork does not flow as smoothy between the steps, nor have as difficult of steps (look at Mao's one-footed pattern, eventually ending with a series of twizzles - WOW).

In terms of the choreography the problem is not at all that Miki isn't playing a "character". Look at Mao's music! They both have classic piano music. The difference is that Mao's choreohraphy is arranged such that the elements actually move with the music and she does actual choreography between the elements. Miki simply does 2 jumping passes + 2 spins, and then an ENORMOUS rest section, and then 5 jumping passes, and then another quick breather before going into the footwork sequence + final spin.

It's extremely easy and unimaginative choreography and it doesn't interpret the music. The elements are just there. They don't work with the music most of the time or build throught the program in impactful or unexpected ways. The very way Miki delivers this poor choreography is inferior to Mao's presentation as well. She simply doesn't hit accents in the music. Her posture and usage of her limbs isn't nearly as good. Her basic skating across the ice isn't as skillful.

Miki has good jumps and a very appealing look on the ice. That's it, though. Mao is on an entirely different level in terms of every Program Component and non-jump element.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mylastduchess View Post
    Can anybody translate Mao's post-skate interview pls:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMubps0cRws
    Q-Good job,what do you think of your performance?
    A -let me see,at first view I did what I could do so far.I was "Yes" when it finished,so I'm satisfied with it.
    Q- After 6-minute-practice,what did you think in the room?
    A-I thought the first jump as a key by all means,so I focus on do the same 3A as the day before.
    Q-How's your jumps today?
    A-I didn't check it yet.
    Q-what does your smile today mean?
    A-It was something like relived.
    Q-How have your feeling changed through this competition?
    A-finally,I climbed big mountain.I got a stronger skater,I feel.
    Q-What part?
    A-I did as possible as I could at the last chance. That'll work well other competitions and the rest of this season,too.
    Q-Thank you.
    A-Thank you.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
    Wait, this cannot be true - this layout has three different triples repeated. Maybe one of the triple-triple is 3Flip+3Loop or something?
    Oh I didn't recognize that. I just follow http://http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/bcast/live/show/134?manual=1

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast