Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Nationals Dec. 24 to 26

Custom Title
    Lol, I'm up late going bananas trying to find all National Title Record Holders in Singles!

So the following is what I have to add to the list:

J. Ferguson Page (BRITISH) & Oliver Honer (SWISS) hold the record for M-E-N with 11 National Titles respectively!

Also, besides Kristoffer Berntsson, Stephane Lambiel is also one shy of joining the 10 club (aka Carlo Fassi, Nobuo Sato, Bo Mothander, Hans Landh).

Gabriele Seyfert (GER) holds the record for W-O-M-E-N with 10 National Titles!

And Jenna McCorkell & Sarah Meier are both one shy of joining the 9 club (aka Maribel Vinson-Owen, Michelle Kwan, Chen Lu, Midori Ito, Constance Wilson-Samuel, Anne Karin Dehle).

I'm too tired to search for more, but will have another go at it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Thanks for that, aftertherain, I feel so embarrassed. I meant no disrespect, just a tired mind is all, which I meant to rectify ASAP, but am glad to see that you did so, thanks!

And please feel free to add to the list, everyone, as I find it most interesting & fascinating...

Btw, I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays, especially Christmas, and next up New Year's!
    There's really no reason to apologize. Hahah.

I hope you're having a good one as well!

Congrats to all the medalists ( "my" Taka!). So glad that Mao rebounded here after such a difficult GP series. I really like Kanako, but was hoping that Akiko would make the World team. Anyway, I'm glad that she'll compete at 4CC.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan View Post
    Miki has never been my type of skater but I have a tremendous amount of respect and like for her. She, IMO, has improved the most over the years of any skater, ever. She was this jumping bean in winning Jr Worlds 2004 and hyped to hold her own at Sr Worlds 2004. All that hype about the 4s and 3lz/3lp seemed to be her destiny, the way she was to leave her mark. Yet, she has developed into a very well rounded skater and really has improved in every aspect or her skating! I am soooo impressed I cannot put it into words!!!

Mao, though, is a sentimental favorite of mine. I love her kind of skating. I don't even know how to say what it is that I like except everything she does seems easy, natural. I love her spins, spirals, footwork and how she strokes across the ice. I love her arm motions and the tilt of her head. I don't care if she does a 3a but I admire her greatly for her determination to succeed. I greatly respect her dedication for becoming the best she can be by fixing her weaknesses instead of playing up her strengths.

Long story short-I am extremely happy with the 1-2 finishers this competition!

That does not go to say I am not happy for Kanako-she is a delight and such a joy to watch! I really hoped Akiko would be Bronze, but she just did not Bring It. I look forward to seeing the top 3 at Worlds, competing in their home country!
    I agree with you on all counts. And isn't it great that both Miki and Mao have such incredible perseverance? Both just keep going no matter what, even through defeat. People have given both of them up for finished, and it's like motes of dust in the sunlight to them. They just keep going, and they keep getting better. As you say of Mao, everything about her skating is gorgeous. You and I are both Michelle fans, so you know that it takes a lot for me to say that any element is better than Michelle's, but I think Mao's arm movements are more beautiful than post-Lori Nichol Michelle's. They are balletic in their placement, yet completely natural in their flow. I could watch Mao endlessly, and I hope she does achieve her wish of winning ten Japanese championships, so we get to enjoy her at her peak for many years to come.

Miki is someone I admire greatly, both as a skater and a person. If she wins Worlds, I might be disappointed on behalf of Mao and YuNa, but I won't mind it at all. It takes a lot to hold your own as a skater in Japan these days, and notice that Miki's been at or near the top for more than five years. Good for her!

Kanako I've only seen once, at Skate America. She's certainly worthy of taking her place in that exalted group. And she might even get better! Isn't it amazing? We are lucky viewers indeed.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I agree with you on all counts. And isn't it great that both Miki and Mao have such incredible perseverance? Both just keep going no matter what, even through defeat. People have given both of them up for finished, and it's like motes of dust in the sunlight to them. They just keep going, and they keep getting better. As you say of Mao, everything about her skating is gorgeous. You and I are both Michelle fans, so you know that it takes a lot for me to say that any element is better than Michelle's, but I think Mao's arm movements are more beautiful than post-Lori Nichol Michelle's. They are balletic in their placement, yet completely natural in their flow. I could watch Mao endlessly, and I hope she does achieve her wish of winning ten Japanese championships, so we get to enjoy her at her peak for many years to come.
    Olympia, I always admire your eloquence and optimism. As a fan of Michelle, I have also realized how she wasn't the same after she left Lori. Sadly, the same can be said about Lori. The pair together (with Caroll) was just a magic combination. I much prefer Lori's choreography for Mao to TAT's but I also feel she has become predictable over the years. So I'd like for Mao to seek out other choreographers in the future.

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by jasminum View Post
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/10...0503003-n1.htm
    Akiko says her jumps were not in good condition before the competition. She doesn't think she will compete at Sochi but she cannot retire with this result. She wants to conclude her armature career in more satisfying way.

In today's Nikkei, she said she wasn't in good condition but she did her best. However, she wasn't able to do jumps without thinking anything. She was thinking to decide whether she'd retire or not after each season, but she cannot retire with this result.

Akiko also wrote on her twitter. "Thank you everyone for supporting me. I will make a new start after refreshing mentally and physically. I will pursue my dreams a little further."

I took the liberty of translating her message on twitter because I wanted to share it with her fans who do not understand Japanese.
    Thank you so much for translating that. Sad that she's disappointed but glad that she will grace us with more skating.

Olympia, I always admire your eloquence and optimism. As a fan of Michelle, I have also realized how she wasn't the same after she left Lori. Sadly, the same can be said about Lori. The pair together (with Caroll) was just a magic combination. I much prefer Lori's choreography for Mao to TAT's but I also feel she has become predictable over the years. So I'd like for Mao to seek out other choreographers in the future.
    i would love to see what renee roca can put together for mao, although the truth is i'm so much happier with lori than i am with TAT that mao can stay with lori a while as far as i'm concerned--she hasn't been with lori long enough for anything to get stale.

olympia, i am a michelle fan as well but i don't have to insist that michelle is the ultimate best at everything and in terms of hand and arm movements mao certainly is ahead of michelle.

Custom Title
    Every exhibition programs were gorgeous,lovely and beautiful. Can't wait to watch them on youtube again!!
    Last edited by ayayukiituka; 12-27-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Custom Title
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht5OP_abusM - Mao's ex.

This is pure art. I could just watch her all day. And how gutsy of her to do a 3F especially after all the trouble she had with this jump this season

Custom Title
    Thanks Mirunna.
    Wow, wow, Mao's ex made me speechless. Breathtakingly beautiful. Commentator said something like," This program showcases her basic pure skating. Not a trick or gimmick. Mao has that." I agree, but I really wanted them to shut up. You do not need words to appreciate art like this, period.

Don't you think her skating is becoming more and more like Kozu's?
    Kudos to Coach Sato. Kudos to Yuka (for Jeremy) Yeah!!

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    First of all...as others have mentioned here, I was also very pleasantly surprised by Miki's gorgeous SP. It's not what I expected at all. I thought it was a well-choreographed, expressive program, and her dress is stunning. Her LP is a little less riveting, but congrats and good job on nailing all her planned elements.

As for Mao...! I don't know what to say. On the one hand, we all know she is the World Champion, and we all knew she was re-training her jumps and had a dismal GP outing. On the other hand, I knew that if last year was an indication of anything, it showed that Mao has an incredible capacity to bounce back, never admit defeat and deliver when she sets her mind on it. And yet, I was still surprised at how well she skated in her Nationals. Nice SP - I wish the red flowers on her torso were arranged in a diagonal instead of like a bra; I think that would be awesome - but no major complaints. And her LP was simply breathtaking. I've said it before, and it still strikes me: I love Mao's modest little nod that she makes when she gives a performance she's pleased with.

I'm happy these two sweet, talented ladies finished 1-2.

Custom Title
    I just want to know why the Mens Champ gets such a huge cup whereas the Ladies on the podium get such little, albeit beautiful, ones?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyke View Post
    Now if the Japanese Federation has decided that Mikki should have been the champion, OK. She skated very well, possibly well enough to win. But please don't insult our intelligence by giving her a 137, 10 point lead on Mao & Kanako in the free. Especially when Murakami won a bronze at the GPF when Ando could only place 5th. I add this to say that there is no way Mikki's skating skills are that much better than Kanako's and definitely not Mao's. These comments are NOT meant as knocks against Mikki. I like her. She is what she is - a great athlete. I'm thinking more about the injurious judging of Mikki's LP at this point.
    Well thats why its call National lol. Rachale Flatt get 130++, same with Rochett 140++ its supposed to be inflated to keep the viewer happy.

If Miki skate the same performance at world, it would be around 125-128 at most.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    First of all...as others have mentioned here, I was also very pleasantly surprised by Miki's gorgeous SP. It's not what I expected at all. I thought it was a well-choreographed, expressive program, and her dress is stunning. Her LP is a little less riveting, but congrats and good job on nailing all her planned elements.

As for Mao...! I don't know what to say. On the one hand, we all know she is the World Champion, and we all knew she was re-training her jumps and had a dismal GP outing. On the other hand, I knew that if last year was an indication of anything, it showed that Mao has an incredible capacity to bounce back, never admit defeat and deliver when she sets her mind on it. And yet, I was still surprised at how well she skated in her Nationals. Nice SP - I wish the red flowers on her torso were arranged in a diagonal instead of like a bra; I think that would be awesome - but no major complaints. And her LP was simply breathtaking. I've said it before, and it still strikes me: I love Mao's modest little nod that she makes when she gives a performance she's pleased with.

I'm happy these two sweet, talented ladies finished 1-2.
    First of all, I think you should be an example for figure skating fans. Obviously a fan of Yuna as can be seen by your pic, but appreciative of good skating, regardless of the skater.

I was also impressed by these ladies' programs, but the one that stood out to me was Miki's SP. I'm admittedly partial to her--and I think the music helps her--but I thought it was simply breathtaking. I kept on saying that I wanted a combination of a vulnerable SP (à la Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence from '05-'06) and a powerful FS that showcases her strengths (like her Organ Symphony program in '08-'09), and I think we finally got just that this season. Shame that Morozov didn't see that until this, post-Olympic season. Hopefully for Sochi...

Custom Title
    This just shows the amount of competition in Japan. All three ladies could have won the world championships with those performances - what other country could this happen in?

First of all, Mao's comeback. I have always been a Mao fan, so I am thrilled she was able to come back from her earlier struggles to skate these performances. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of her short program, but her long program is breathtaking! I don't care if she flutzed - the jumps was big and beautiful, and carried speed in and out of the jump the way she did back in 07/08. Personally, I thought she should've won, but I guess I am somewhat biased

Next, Miki's perseverance. The smile at the end of her performance was beautiful, but I wish she would smile like that DURING the program. Mao smiled throughout her performance, so I don't understand how Miki's blank expression led to higher Interpretation scores. Anyway, her triple toe was AMAZING!!!
    (Miki and Morozov in K&K made me uncomfortable. I know they have a relationship, but still, his hand was a little close to a certain area...)

Finally, Kanako's rising. Although I'm not a huge fan of her costume (it looks like she took half of Mao's and half of Miki's and sewed them together), I like her expression, especially in the slow section (loop then axel then sal). Hopefully she will perform like this at world's. Maybe there will be a Japanese sweep

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Still though, Mao did not complete her end technically. She did 4 non UR/non edge call triples. (2 3F; 2 3L). 3Z go an edge call, 3A was UR and she doubled the Salchow. She also did not do a three-jump combo. (Base value 54.53)

Kankano actually had better technical content. 6 non UR/edge triples with four different types triples (3F, 3L, 3-3 toe loop, 3S). She had a 3Z edge call. (Base value 57.00)

Miki had five triples but most were on the back end and included four different types of triples (2 3Z, 1 3L, two 3T, 3S). (Base value 58.66)

Miki should have probably gotten less PCS than Mao, but should be a point or two higher than Kanako's and I agree her +GOE on her non jump elements is a little high.

So in the end, I would say Miki is still a deserving winner, but she should have not won by 10 points...maybe more like 2 or 3.
    I agree with that. Miki deserved to win because of the mistakes and lower overall content of Mao (despite the triple axel). However Miki's PCS were absolutely ridiculous even under grossly inflated National scoring format, and she should have only barely won rather than won by 10 points. Mao's PCS should have been much higher.

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast