Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ladies - White or Tan Boots?

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar

Ladies - White or Tan Boots?

One of Mathman's responses in the MK Headlines Singaporean Rink thread had me wondering--which is more aesthetically pleasing (to you)-- white boots on ladies, or tan boots?

It seemed like for a while, very few skaters wore tan boots. Some would wear their tights over their skates to create a longer leg line, or use boot covers (and Surya would break the mold by NOT wearing tights, and wearing two different boots!). The tan boots were mostly worn by professional women (Katarina, Caryn), again, to elongate the leg line.

Recently, there have been more women who are using the tan boots over the white boots (a lot in ice dance, and in singles, there are Alenka Leonova and Mao Asada). Some fans, and even Judy Blumberg have stated that they prefer white boots over tan. Some, like me, wish there were more colour options (and now I come to find out Elena Gedevanishvili has a pair of pink SP Teri's, and of course, who can forget Pasha Grishuk's lavander Harlicks from 1998?).

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I can't help it. I love the white boots! Shoot me; I'm old school.

I detest the knobbly, untidy look of the over the boot tights. It amuses the heck out of me that ladies wear them thinking to elongate their leg line and look better, when in fact, it messes up their leg line by making it bumpy, and makes it more obvious by making the line longer and bumpier.

The tan boots, I can live with but I don't love them as much as the white boots.

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    It is strange, but when I first started watching skating, back in 2006, I thought tan boots looked horrid! I remember really liking Shizuka Arakawa and the way she looked with her white boots, and disliking the tan boots that Cohen and Slutskaya wore. Looking back at old Kwan videos, I think she really rocked white boots!

Now four years later, it seems that I have somehow developed a preference towards tan boots. It really helps lengthen the leg line and the white boots somehow seem to chop up the line (especially in spirals):sheesh:

Strangely enough, my preference for tan boots is only in watching the ladies. I'm ok with either white or tan boots in other disciplines.

I like white CLEAN boots

I don't hate tan boots, but I prefer clean white ones for the ladies.

Custom Title
    I like tan boots because I tend to prefer things with color in them. Also tan boots call to mind pink ballet shoes. But crisply white boots are beautiful and are a symbol of skating.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    But crisply white boots are beautiful and are a symbol of skating.
    You mean like this

http://renovomedia.com/wp-content/up...chelleKwan.jpg

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    ^I always loved that picture. She's so beautiful!

Custom Title
    I like tan boots a lot, they suit almost every costume colour, I prefer them if the costume is black:
    http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/I...C7sXaKhyPl.jpg
    http://www.life.com/image/97002672

But into the tan boots I prefer the bright ones:
    http://davecskatingphoto.com/photos/..._IMG_6112a.jpg
    http://photo.fsonline.ru/main.php?g2_itemId=29942

If the costume is white, white boots are clearly better:
    http://davecskatingphoto.com/photos/..._IMG_8720a.jpg

Custom Title
    I definitely prefer white boots. Tan boots without tights look dirty. I agree with Doris. Tights over the boots look untidy.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    i can't help it. I love the white boots! Shoot me; i'm old school.

I detest the knobbly, untidy look of the over the boot tights. It amuses the heck out of me that ladies wear them thinking to elongate their leg line and look better, when in fact, it messes up their leg line by making it bumpy, and makes it more obvious by making the line longer and bumpier.

The tan boots, i can live with but i don't love them as much as the white boots.
    amen!

Custom Title
    Clean white boots is it. I'm so glad Alissa is wearing them now.

The only one that I can stand wearing those tights is Sasha and even still I prefer her in white boots (when she cleans them).

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    Clean white boots is it. I'm so glad Alissa is wearing them now.

The only one that I can stand wearing those tights is Sasha and even still I prefer her in white boots (when she cleans them).
    I'm in agreement with those who prefer the white boots (clean) over the tan boots. Perhaps if boots weren't so thick, tan might be better, as it would give an even better illusion of a longer leg line. Then again, I think most skaters have legs in phenomenal shape, that there is no need to elongate the leg line.

A little bit of trivia--It was Sonja Henie who first began the white boot trend. Before her, everyone, male or female, skated in black skates.

Rogue Leader
    I like both. It depends on the skater and what they are wearing. I agree white looks better with white, and tan goes best with black. I don't even mind tights over the boots. It does look ridiculous up close when the skaters aren't moving, but ti somehow works during a performance.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast