Ladies - White or Tan Boots? | Golden Skate

Ladies - White or Tan Boots?

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
One of Mathman's responses in the MK Headlines Singaporean Rink thread had me wondering--which is more aesthetically pleasing (to you)-- white boots on ladies, or tan boots?

It seemed like for a while, very few skaters wore tan boots. Some would wear their tights over their skates to create a longer leg line, or use boot covers (and Surya would break the mold by NOT wearing tights, and wearing two different boots!). The tan boots were mostly worn by professional women (Katarina, Caryn), again, to elongate the leg line.

Recently, there have been more women who are using the tan boots over the white boots (a lot in ice dance, and in singles, there are Alenka Leonova and Mao Asada). Some fans, and even Judy Blumberg have stated that they prefer white boots over tan. Some, like me, wish there were more colour options (and now I come to find out Elena Gedevanishvili has a pair of pink SP Teri's, and of course, who can forget Pasha Grishuk's lavander Harlicks from 1998?).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I can't help it. I love the white boots! Shoot me; I'm old school.

I detest the knobbly, untidy look of the over the boot tights. It amuses the heck out of me that ladies wear them thinking to elongate their leg line and look better, when in fact, it messes up their leg line by making it bumpy, and makes it more obvious by making the line longer and bumpier.

The tan boots, I can live with but I don't love them as much as the white boots.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
It is strange, but when I first started watching skating, back in 2006, I thought tan boots looked horrid! I remember really liking Shizuka Arakawa and the way she looked with her white boots, and disliking the tan boots that Cohen and Slutskaya wore. Looking back at old Kwan videos, I think she really rocked white boots!:love:

Now four years later, it seems that I have somehow developed a preference towards tan boots. It really helps lengthen the leg line and the white boots somehow seem to chop up the line (especially in spirals):sheesh:

Strangely enough, my preference for tan boots is only in watching the ladies. I'm ok with either white or tan boots in other disciplines.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't hate tan boots, but I prefer clean white ones for the ladies.

I like tan boots because I tend to prefer things with color in them. Also tan boots call to mind pink ballet shoes. But crisply white boots are beautiful and are a symbol of skating.

sigrid

On the Ice

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I definitely prefer white boots. Tan boots without tights look dirty. I agree with Doris. Tights over the boots look untidy.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
i can't help it. I love the white boots! Shoot me; i'm old school.

I detest the knobbly, untidy look of the over the boot tights. It amuses the heck out of me that ladies wear them thinking to elongate their leg line and look better, when in fact, it messes up their leg line by making it bumpy, and makes it more obvious by making the line longer and bumpier.

The tan boots, i can live with but i don't love them as much as the white boots.

amen!

lavender

Record Breaker
Clean white boots is it. I'm so glad Alissa is wearing them now.

The only one that I can stand wearing those tights is Sasha and even still I prefer her in white boots (when she cleans them).

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Clean white boots is it. I'm so glad Alissa is wearing them now.

The only one that I can stand wearing those tights is Sasha and even still I prefer her in white boots (when she cleans them).

I'm in agreement with those who prefer the white boots (clean) over the tan boots. Perhaps if boots weren't so thick, tan might be better, as it would give an even better illusion of a longer leg line. Then again, I think most skaters have legs in phenomenal shape, that there is no need to elongate the leg line.

A little bit of trivia--It was Sonja Henie who first began the white boot trend. Before her, everyone, male or female, skated in black skates.

Antilles

Medalist
I like both. It depends on the skater and what they are wearing. I agree white looks better with white, and tan goes best with black. I don't even mind tights over the boots. It does look ridiculous up close when the skaters aren't moving, but ti somehow works during a performance.

ivy

On the Ice
If you have good turn out and toe point then white boots, otherwise tan. I'm especially thinking of foot position on laybacks and spirals.

I am surprised we don't see black boots on ladies these days - relates more directly to fashion in the real world.

JohnnyFan

Spectator
I prefer white boots. I think tan boots look better if they are a light shade--the dark tan reminds me of rentals because there is a rink by where I used to live in which the rentals were a very dark shade of tan. If you want your boots to appear tan, all you have to do is buy some over the boot tights!

I'm in agreement with those who prefer the white boots (clean) over the tan boots. Perhaps if boots weren't so thick, tan might be better, as it would give an even better illusion of a longer leg line. Then again, I think most skaters have legs in phenomenal shape, that there is no need to elongate the leg line.

A little bit of trivia--It was Sonja Henie who first began the white boot trend. Before her, everyone, male or female, skated in black skates.

I didn't know that! Isn't it amazing how many important elements of skating go back to Sonja Henie.

stevlin

On the Ice
I think tan colored boots are ugly, does nothing to make the legs look longer or shapley. White boots [clean of course] somehow make the legs look better. My sister says that tan boots look like "dog feet". Tan boots make one look like they have chubby ankles. White doesn't because of the separation of the leg and boot. Plus tan boots look like rentals.

C

chillyfranz

Tan boots might make line longer but not better. The skater who uses tan boot to get better line doesn't work (make it look ugly) espacially if her ankle/foot bends at odd angle or have bad toe point (no pointed feet), you can still see it and judges can too.