Ladies - White or Tan Boots? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ladies - White or Tan Boots?

lavender

Record Breaker
I wonder how Rachel would look without the tights over the boots. They look the worse on her because of the shape of her leg I guess. I think maybe just wearing the white boots would make her lining look much better.

That picture of Yu na...look so much better with white boots.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I know people who were wearing the Jackson hinge boots were all wearing OTB tights because of the look of the knob on the back. What about that?

emma

Record Breaker
I much, much, much prefer white but am not opposed to tan. Like many others, I am opposed to tights over (or even partially over) the boot - it just looks awful, awful, awful.

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
For me it is ok when skater were white boots. It looks really good.
I don´t like tan boots. For me it looked a little bit scary. I prefer here tights over the boots for skaters which don´t want that you see the skates.

But the worst case is, to wear tights - half over the boots! And especially this type:
http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=...ls=org.mozilla:de:official&ndsp=20&tbs=isch:1
You can were that in training, but not in competitions!

glam

On the Ice
I think it would be fun if the skaters would wear colourful boots. Is it not allowed for example to compete in pink boots?

seniorita

Record Breaker
I dont like tights over boots for no reason, it looks weird even in the best lined legs.

And who introduced those beastly over the boot tights?

i really would like to know also that. I remember Irina changed from white boots to tights over the boots at some point after SLC but I m sure she was not the first.
Michelle´s white boots was a trademark image, like a classic fairytale. When she wore the tights over her boots, I think at Worlds 05, I lost faith in all good things.:laugh:

Take off the highest, take off the lowest, just keep the middle. ;)

:laugh:

I know people who were wearing the Jackson hinge boots were all wearing OTB tights because of the look of the knob on the back. What about that?

Has any other elite lady used them besides Alissa Czisny?

IMHO Alissa can get away with this look because she has that long-legged colt thing going for her. (Carolina Kostner, too.)

http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/images/sk8can/sk8can 2006 czisny fs.jpg

:rofl: I hope the turned-up toes look makes a comeback!

I lost faith in all good things. :laugh:

Seriously. Next, Michelle will be telling us there is no such thing as Santa Claus.

http://www.iceskate.net/skater pix/...05worlds_qual_alexander_zemlianichenko_ap.jpg

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

seniorita

Record Breaker
I love Natalie´s boots!
how do these costume shoes work in general, they pin the leather in the tights, or it is another fabric that looks like a boot?

jjane45

On the Ice
Well, going against the tide here, my personal preference is Over the boot > white > tan. (by the way is there a guesstimate of OTB vs. white ratio among elite ladies?)

To me OTB really matches the costume better 80% of the time. Tan often looks cheap, especially if the color is not matched well with tights. Seriously, when skaters wear black top and black pants, why not black skates? (Practice wear is OK, I am thinking of this Yuna photo in particular)

Mafke

Medalist
My preference:

1. Classic white boots (must be clean!!!!!) Crisp look that makes it easier to see what the feet are doing. I always suspect tan boot wearers of trying to disguise sloppy edges.

2. Anything else - tan boots look ugly because the color never seems to really match or compliment the skater's skin tone, over the boots is just fugly with a dress (might be okay with unitard in some cases)

Cadiva

On the Ice
I can't help it, I'm an old fashioned girl and I adore the look of a clean white boot :)

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I, too, prefer the white boots. But that may have a little something to do with the fact that I'm not much of a fan of wearing shades of brown for myself. It took me a while to be OK with wearing khaki pants.

I think it would be fun if the skaters would wear colourful boots. Is it not allowed for example to compete in pink boots?

I'd also like to know if there are restrictions on the color. I remember Grishuk wearing lavender skates, and it almost was made to seem like she was a rebel (though that was probably due more to who she was in general). Even though she wore lavender skates, they were still pretty pale from what I remember. So I'm wondering if colors other than white or tan are frowned upon or practically forbidden for competition. I've been watching for years and just never knew.

Last edited:

SkateSkates

Medalist
I think it depends on the skater.
Some skaters' lines are improved by wearing tan skates or over the boot tights. On the other hand, some skaters look better with white skates.
For example, Joannie Rochette's muscular legs would NOT look good in over the boot tights, but over the boot tights are very flattering on skaters with thinner legs like Mao Asada or Alissa Czisny.
Also, they provide an extra layer of warmth :)

mariposa

Rinkside
I prefer white boots over over the boot tights...I don't think a pointed toe or a beautiful leg line is appreciated in an over the boot tight....kinda reminds me of a cinder block on the end of a leg..tends to look bigger and more square..I rememeber a skating coach telling one of her students, "You paid all that money for those white boots, let's see 'em!" LOL!

prettykeys

Medalist
My usual preference is: leggings under white boots; leggings over the boot; leggings under tan boots.

I used to get white boots for rentals! I don't associate tan boots with rentals at all. I don't mind them, but they do indeed look a little less clean. I like neutral tans and browns in general, but the material that is used for skating boots don't seem to make a nice colour for my eyes. I have an awesome pair of tan suede knee-high winter boots :biggrin:

White boots don't necessarily clash with the outfit of a skater because somehow, to me, when a skater is on the ice the white boots are just a natural part of that attire, heh. It doesn't stick out too badly. Plus, the ice is white anyway. Does the skater's outfit now clash with the whiteness of the ice? :biggrin: I agree with everyone who said that the clear outline of the white boots narrows the ankle and creates a sleek appearance.

I HATED the leggings over the boot look when I first saw it. Sometimes, in close-ups, it still bothers me, especially when there is a bend at the ankle. However, when the legs are straight, it doesn't bother me too badly anymore; maybe I got used to it, but yeah, I guess the neutral-coloured continuity is flattering, too. I still would prefer to see the skates clearly on the skaters, however. I did not know that skaters intentionally did the stocking thing to try to "lengthen their lines" - I agree with everyone who comments that the knobbly look at the ankle is both unsightly and breaks the line anyway.

I admit that this looks very nice:
http://www.jewoftheday.com/Ulpan/Images/Sasha Cohen.jpg

However, I think she'd look fine anyway with no affect on her lines with white boots:
http://www.laurenpfiffner.com/images/sasha2.jpg