Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Will the Zhangs ever win a World title?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147

    Will the Zhangs ever win a World title?

    The Zhangs about 5 years ago were seen as the future of pairs skating, a team that would win many World titles and probably the 2010 Olympics. Now it looks like their best days might be behind them altogether with still not truly reaching the pinnacle of the sport. They havent been competitive with the Germans (barring a major self destruction by the Germans) since fall 2007 atleast. They have been displaced by Pang & Tong in China for the first time in awhile, and Sui & Han are already making their mark as seniors and threatening to take over as the next Chinese #1. There are also a growing collection of top teams from Russia. And last year saw the Zhang's PCS plummet even for good skates.

    Will the Zhangs ever win a World title.

  2. #2
    Custom Title MikiAndoFan#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    2,864
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Will the Zhangs ever win a World title.
    I hope so.

  3. #3
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,092
    Yes, so do I. Does anyone know how their injuries are healing? Will they be ready for Worlds/4CC's?

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    555
    I don't think we will see them again, I think they have lost their drive

    We shall see.........

  5. #5
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,743
    I'll say probably not, but it's not out of the question. Not many people thought Pang and Tong would win the Olympic silver either, or Evan Lysacek the Olympic gold for that matter.

  6. #6
    Custom Title heyang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,172
    For me, the Zhang's haven't made the ephemeral development into artists.

    I don't think anyone can forget the emergence of Shen/Zhao into emotiing skaters. Pang and Tong seem to have acheived that growth - perhaps related to the growth of their off ice relationship.

    So far IMHO, Zhang/Zhang have not taken that next step. The deeper connection is missing - and it doesn't have to be a romantic one, but there's something missing as compared to S/Z, P/T and other top pairs teams.

    Of course, they could still win, but I th ink it would require some assistance/mistakes from other teams to get them onto the top of the podium.

  7. #7
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,988
    not likely. their best days are behind them, the last few years they have struggled artistically and even their consistency isn't what it has to be. Now with an injury i can't see them topping Aliona and Robin AND Pang and Tong. Sui and Han are rapidly becoming a world contending team and so are the russian teams.

  8. #8
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    40
    Zhangs are not competitive with the Germans,but I think they are totally competitive with Pang/Tong.

  9. #9
    Custom Title MikiAndoFan#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    2,864
    Quote Originally Posted by zizi View Post
    Zhangs are not competitive with the Germans
    Really? The Zhangs have beaten Savchenko & Szolkowy quite a few a times.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    The Zhangs could beat the Germans but the Germans have to fall multiple times and the Zhangs go clean for that to happen probably. Kind of like what has to happen for Tomas Verner to beat Patrick Chan right now. The scoring potential of the two teams is far apart at this point, it was significant even in early 2008 and early 2009 when the Zhangs had the political backing as the #1 Chinese team which they dont have anymore so is alot more now. That is unless the Zhangs even while off the ice with injury have somehow improved a huge amount.

    The last 3 year the two teams have met 7 times, and the Germans have come out on top 6 of 7. Here are the results:

    07-08 Grand Prix final: Savchenko & Szolkowy defeat Zhang & Zhang for gold by 8 points. Comparable mistakes by both teams in long. In short hand down by Robin and clean skate by Zhangs (Germans still win short by about a point)

    08 Worlds: Savchenko & Szolkowy defeat Zhang & Zhang for gold by about 5 points. The Germans with a huge fall on side by side triple salchows (which were downgraded I believe), a stumble out of side by side triple toes, out of sync spins, in the long program, and a stumble out of side by side triple toes in short. The Zhangs with a clean short, a hand down on side by side triple salchows and a singled side by side double axel. Some thought this was a controversial decision but it only shows how the judges feel about the two teams comparatively that the Germans won out comfortably with so many more glaring mistakes.

    08-09 Grand Prix final: Zhangs defeat Savchenko & Szolkowy for silver by about 3 points.
    Zhangs with one fall in long program as only mistake. The Germans with atleast 4 significant mistakes including 2 falls in long.

    2009 Worlds: Savchenko & Szolkowy win gold by about 15 points. Clean in both programs except for a fall on footwork in long by Germans. Zhangs clean in short but a fall and another stumble in long. Short program gap about 4 points, long program about 11.

    09-2010 Grand Prix final: Savchenko & Szolkowy finish 3rd, about 20 points above the Zhangs who finish 6th and last. In short program Zhangs go clean and finish 7 points back of Germans who have a hand down on the triple toes. In long program both teams make a couple major mistakes.

    2010 Olympics: Savchenko & Szolkowy finish 3rd, 16 points above the Zhangs who finish 5th. Both do clean shorts and have one bad fall in long. The Germans also double a major triple in long.

    2010 Worlds: Savchenko & Szolkowy double a triple jump in both programs and win silver, 9 points ahead of Zhangs who finish 5th despite being only top pair to skate clean in both programs.


    The way the Germans are skating this season which is more consistently than ever probably it would be a miracle for any team to beat them, let alone the Zhangs who has been no threat to them for over 2 years atleast.

    Yeah the Zhangs many times beat Aliona and Robin back in 2005-2006, as did alot of other teams. That really doesnt mean anything at this point. Aliona and Robin were a fairly new team at that point and couldnt even beat a team Fitze and Rex for the German entry spot into the 2004 Worlds.
    Last edited by pangtongfan; 12-22-2010 at 08:46 AM.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    I would like to see the Zhangs win a World title someday so hopefully they can come back strong for Worlds this year and come top 5 (I think that would be a good result for them this year missing most of the season with injury). Then hopefully in the off season be able to improve their artistry and make a real bid to be the Chinese #1 team again against Pang & Tong and Sui & Han. If Pang & Tong continue skating like they are this season and Sui & Han dont mature well enough or handle her inevitable growth spurt well, then they could atleast make a big to be the #1 Chinese pair again. Those are alot of what ifs though.

  12. #12
    Custom Title MikiAndoFan#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    2,864
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    The Zhangs could beat the Germans but the Germans have to fall multiple times and the Zhangs go clean for that to happen probably. Kind of like what has to happen for Tomas Verner to beat Patrick Chan right now. The scoring potential of the two teams is far apart at this point, it was significant even in early 2008 and early 2009 when the Zhangs had the political backing as the #1 Chinese team which they dont have anymore so is alot more now. That is unless the Zhangs even while off the ice with injury have somehow improved a huge amount.

    The last 3 year the two teams have met 7 times, and the Germans have come out on top 6 of 7. Here are the results:

    07-08 Grand Prix final: Savchenko & Szolkowy defeat Zhang & Zhang for gold by 8 points. Comparable mistakes by both teams in long. In short hand down by Robin and clean skate by Zhangs (Germans still win short by about a point)

    08 Worlds: Savchenko & Szolkowy defeat Zhang & Zhang for gold by about 5 points. The Germans with a huge fall on side by side triple salchows (which were downgraded I believe), a stumble out of side by side triple toes, out of sync spins, in the long program, and a stumble out of side by side triple toes in short. The Zhangs with a clean short, a hand down on side by side triple salchows and a singled side by side double axel. Some thought this was a controversial decision but it only shows how the judges feel about the two teams comparatively that the Germans won out comfortably with so many more glaring mistakes.

    08-09 Grand Prix final: Zhangs defeat Savchenko & Szolkowy for silver by about 3 points.
    Zhangs with one fall in long program as only mistake. The Germans with atleast 4 significant mistakes including 2 falls in long.

    2009 Worlds: Savchenko & Szolkowy win gold by about 15 points. Clean in both programs except for a fall on footwork in long by Germans. Zhangs clean in short but a fall and another stumble in long. Short program gap about 4 points, long program about 11.

    09-2010 Grand Prix final: Savchenko & Szolkowy finish 3rd, about 20 points above the Zhangs who finish 6th and last. In short program Zhangs go clean and finish 7 points back of Germans who have a hand down on the triple toes. In long program both teams make a couple major mistakes.

    2010 Olympics: Savchenko & Szolkowy finish 3rd, 16 points above the Zhangs who finish 5th. Both do clean shorts and have one bad fall in long. The Germans also double a major triple in long.

    2010 Worlds: Savchenko & Szolkowy double a triple jump in both programs and win silver, 9 points ahead of Zhangs who finish 5th despite being only top pair to skate clean in both programs.


    The way the Germans are skating this season which is more consistently than ever probably it would be a miracle for any team to beat them, let alone the Zhangs who has been no threat to them for over 2 years atleast.
    What about the results before 2007/2008? The Zhangs beat Savchenko & Szolkowy seven times from 2004 until 2007.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    What about the results before 2007/2008? The Zhangs beat Savchenko & Szolkowy seven times from 2004 until 2007.
    We are discussing their chances against them right now right? What happened between the two pairs from 2004 to 2007 means nothing to their chances of beating the Germans now.

  14. #14
    Custom Title MikiAndoFan#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    2,864
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    We are discussing their chances against them right now right? What happened between the two pairs from 2004 to 2007 means nothing to their chances of beating the Germans now.
    But you think it's fair to compare results from 2007/2008?

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    But you think it's fair to compare results from 2007/2008?
    The more recent times have gotten the more the Germans have dominated the Zhangs as my breakdown of each competition shows. 2009 the gap is bigger than 2008, 2010 the gap is bigger than 2009 (despite the Germans not even skating well for them last season). And the Germans are skating more consistently than ever this season. The Zhangs have been injured all season so how they have possibly improved any while off the ice altogether until recently (apparently he is finally back on ice now). So it is baffling how you think the Zhangs could hope to challenge the Germans right now, which you were questioning someone else on. They could try and skate clean and hope for the Germans to fall 4 times I guess, but that is pretty much it for now. That is until they potentially improve more and get back politcal backing from their federation as the #1 or even #2 Chinese pair which wont happen this year which hopefully they will be able to do if they have a healthy off season but we will see.

    You are right, going back to 2007/2008 is even silly. So with that said in events in just the last 2 years going back to only March 2009, Savchenko & Szolkowy have beaten the Zhangs easily by huge margins in all 4 they have met, and in only one have they been only 1 placement apart. Happy now?
    Last edited by pangtongfan; 12-22-2010 at 09:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •