Please make Worlds Akiko Please! | Golden Skate

Please make Worlds Akiko Please!

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
I really hope Akiko makes it to Worlds in 2011. She brings so much joy to the sport. Everybody in the Audience clapped during her footwork sequence at the Grand Prix Final.

I'm just praying because things are up at this weeks Japanese Nationals.:think:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Murakami is the new darling for the Japanese. I think for Akiko to make it she will need to knock off one of Miki or Mao.

Go Akiko!

I think the big question is whether they will pass Mao on through automatically or not.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Mao is one of the all time greatest skaters IMO but if she doesn't make the podium at Nationals, she shouldnt make the team. As simple as that..:disapp:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I just want a fair contest for Akiko's sake.

If they are acting fair, she will likely to go through IMO.

It is so weird but I am looking forward to the Japanese Nationals and US Nationals with far more interest than the Grand Prix series, is that wrong?

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I would like to see Miki Ando miss the team but more likely it will be Asada or Suzuki. If Asada really is gauranteed a spot to Worlds regardless how she does at Nationals then Suzuki probably is toast.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I also doubt JSF will leave Kanako out. What better place to flaunt new talent than home turf (esp. at a post-Olympic Worlds). She also made quite a splash this GP season & has a cute, lovable personality that can bump ratings. I've seen Yukari bumped out of Torino 2006 for then media-favorite Miki, so I doubt Mao or Kanako will be left out, as long as neither bombs drastically (out of top 5). Miki's a strong competitor & flaunts great consistency with this season's LP. I actually think she's more a Worlds gold contender than either Mao or Kanako at the moment.

So yeah, can't help but think Akiko's gonna eat dust (a la Yukari).... :no:

It might not be a bad idea, though. We saw her lose steam by Worlds 2010. Too many competitions. So far, she's done Finlandia, two GP events, GPF and will probably do 4CC, along with Nationals. That's quite a lot.

Nena

Rinkside
It looks like Mao is only going to do a 2A in her SP and maybe just one 3A in her LP so she'll probably make the team and Akiko won't.

christinaskater

Medalist
Akiko is the 2nd ranked skater in the whole world in the ISU standings and has had a huge following as a skater! Fans love her!

I really wish she would win the Japanese nationals or medal!

Kanako is really something special and they have huge respect for each other so it's going to be one heck of a battle of who goes to the Worlds!

I really want Akiko to do so!

Kanako has for me world champion potential.....and she has a long way to go.

Miki and Mao are like guaranteed a place in the World team! Mao maybe the question but she is the reigning world champion and who knows we are up for a big surprise from her. If her programs are skated to it's full potential....masterpiece!

I'm so excited to see Mao, Miki, Akiko and Kanako! and the rest of the world together with Yu-Na in Tokyo this year!

burntBREAD

Medalist
I really hope she makes it. Hopefully there aren't any phantom downgrades or low-balling of her PCS...

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
If Mao does not make the podium she should not make the team. I have doubts about sending even if she did make the podium unless she showed dramatic improvement. I say this as a huge Mao fan. Akkiko has shown nothing but consistency the last two seasons. That should be rewarded if she medals at Nats.

babayaga

On the Ice
I think Mao was told that she will make the team if she makes the podium at nationals and that she will not receive any special treatment. This probably means that they will simply send top 3 to worlds. Last year Akiko was second and I am really hoping she can repeat that (or even win the whole thing!), I LOVE her long program this year.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It boggles my mind that Kankano is such a lock when she has yet to skate a clean FS in any of the GPF events. Akiko hasn't been perfect, but she has been pretty consistant for the last two years, as others said. (Save that bogus 20th place SP finish at Worlds. And even then her FS was good enough to go up 9 spots).

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Kanako is a lock since she is their future. Miki Ando clearly is too old to be any factor in 2014 (she will probably retire before then anyway). Mao could be a threat for 2014 but it isnt a sure thing at this point. So of course their most certain hope for 2014 they will want to get experience as soon as possible.

Akiko's underdog story is nice and I would like to see her get to go to more Worlds and an Olympics as I like her. However she will never be a World Champion or Olympic medalist, probably not even a World medalist, and she is part of a very deep womens team. So she doesnt neccessarily fit into their plans.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Sure Japan wants Kanako on the world team. But they also have other young promising skaters.. E.g. I think the 14 years old Risa Shoji, in 4th place after SP, was more than great.

You can still hope, though. Go Akiko!!!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Seems like the pressure of having to win or otherwise skate very well got to Akkiko. Hope she can come back for a medal...but her chances of making the team are very low now unless Kanako self-distructs or Mao is a complete disaster.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
After watching the YouTube performance, I don't think Akiko did that bad. She was clean save that 3Z, which she lost about 4.8 points on, about the difference between her and Kankano, who is in third.

I think Kankano and Akiko's PCS should not be that close to each other either.

Also noting that 4-7 is pretty bunched up. There's only 1.36 points difference between fourth (Risa Shoji) and seventh (Akiko).

Akiko can catch up with a solid LP. Murakami has not been great on the FS, so that might work in her favor as well.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
After watching the YouTube performance, I don't think Akiko did that bad. She was clean save that 3Z, which she lost about 4.8 points on, about the difference between her and Kankano, who is in third.

I think Kankano and Akiko's PCS should not be that close to each other either.

Also noting that 4-7 is pretty bunched up. There's only 1.36 points difference between fourth (Risa Shoji) and seventh (Akiko).

Akiko can catch up with a solid LP. Murakami has not been great on the FS, so that might work in her favor as well.

On a positive note, I think it's CRAZY that (1) the reigning world champ, (2) the only lady to win both of her GP assignments this season, (3) the ISU's #2 skater, and (4) the highest-placing lady from Japan at GPF are all different skaters. A ridiculously deep field.