Pairs FS | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Pairs FS

seniorita

Record Breaker
True that Katarina G. looks MUCH better in pairs and actually i thought she is the sunshine in the pair, you cant but look at her and she has nice lines, but their lifts were a little scary , I just felt like watching two single skaters, of course it is normal at this early stage.
But Lubov has just the IT factor, she is a little star, and they skate with such joy, I love them!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Okay, the level of the Russian pairs skaters is sickeningly awesome. Sochi is gonna be a barnburner.

V/T: Holy moly they were on fire. What else to say? I know they have to skate at a couple ISU sanctioned competitions to get a season's best score to actually compete at worlds. God the potential! They have beautiful line and a way of finishing moves. I'd love to know what the Ukranian figure skating federation works: they produced to of the finest ladies pairs skater of the decade (Savchenko/Szolkowy) but simply don't have the men to compete at that level (or the infrastructure, if Morosov's remarks are anything to go by). Neither of the programs are great programs, but that's okay. That'll come.

K/S: This is still the best program of the season. This is such a leap forward for them. No extraneous movements. Every grace note of the music choreographed and the whole thing is just lovely. I'm a little disappointed they ranked behind V/T in interpretation and choreography

So clearly the class of the field and the greatest field in the world.

Other thoughts
--Despite laying down the scores during the season, I'd like to point out that G/E only skated one GP compared to I/M's three. And while it's clear that I/M have awesome scoring potential, they were massively overscored here to give them a chance to go to Euros. If K/S had had a full GP season and more mileage on their programs, I'd almost ask that they stay out with B/L, G/E, and I/M duking it out for that third worlds spot (V/T obviously being ineligible). I'd say that despite B/L being firmly ensconced on the Russian team, we've seen that if they have a bad day, they'll be behind I/M. We've seen that I/M can be behind both

--Speaking of B/L, anyone else wondering if they'll be able to hold onto that third spot next year? So many hungry teams.

--Where did Gerboldt get that fire?

herios

Medalist
Just finished watching Tatiana and Maxim, they were wonderful! I can't believe how far they've come in only half a year together! They've improved their speed, their jumps and interpretation and I think they stand a great chance to medal at Worlds.

But why should this event be the only one that counts? Gerboldt/Enbert failed to deliver in international competition. They shouldn't expect to automatically get the spot simply because they had one lucky event. I/M have improved a lot since last season when Lubov was falling all the time. Now she's become so consistent - prior to this event she hadn't fallen once this season. I think she had some underrotations at Cup of China but that's understandable - their travel schedule was just brutal, flying from Russia to Canada and then only a few days later having to compete in China. They performed respectably considering the circumstances. And then they did very well at the Grand Prix Final, earning a total score of 177.44, compared to a mere 160.42 for Gerboldt/Enbert at Cup of Russia. That's a sizable difference.

They didn't deliver NOW. And that is very important. Results in the past are in the past that is history. if I am selecting a team, i am picking the most in form teams, that is why. Would you speak the same way if you would be K. Gerboldt ? Put yourself in her shoes please. Or her pertner. or her coach. That is how you should think. Since COR Gerboldt / Enbert improved, and I/M has fallen. For me, I/M are inconsistent.

seniorita

Record Breaker
G/E improved for their standars but that does it mean they are that good? They are a new pair , only improvement they can have, how they could go worse?
I give Gerboldt the jumps, all the rest Lubov is far better. And they had a bad sp, thats all, with a slight better sp, we wouldnt discuss it now, the final difference is not much.
Ok the fan is talking now, i m not objective, but I/M are a breath of fresh air and different to the rest, in their sp they skate non stop!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
G/E improved for their standars but that does it mean they are that good? They are a new pair , only improvement they can have, how they could go worse?
I give Gerboldt the jumps, all the rest Lubov is far better. And they had a bad sp, thats all, with a slight better sp, we wouldnt discuss it now, the final difference is not much.
Ok the fan is talking now, i m not objective, but I/M are a breath of fresh air and different to the rest, in their sp they skate non stop!

No. But going by last year, the top skaters at Nationals go to Euros, presuming eligibility. So the question is are I/M that much better than G/E that they deserve be jerryrigged above?

oleada

Record Breaker
I love I/M, I do. I'm a huge fan, bordering on uber. But they have only themselves to blame here. They had two major mistakes in the SP, that really affected their presentation and they also failed to get the high levels. Gerboldt/Enbert aren't as good of a team, but they've really improved and they skated very well here. They could've bombed skating after V/T, but they owned the ice and skated really well. I/M only have themselves to blame.

Either way, a deserving team will be left at home :(

herios

Medalist
No. But going by last year, the top skaters at Nationals go to Euros, presuming eligibility. So the question is are I/M that much better than G/E that they deserve be jerryrigged above?

Not really imo. The fans keep bragging that they have the "it" factor. i am not saying they don't but, they were not exactly world beaters on the GP tour either. Bobbles were happening almost at each competition. COC for example, they had their sbs triples downgraded in each segment, SP and LP. that is not a minor mistake.That was not exactly a great competition for them, as they finished behind Yankowski / Mclaughlin.
My point is Gerboldt / Enbert earned their spot and they should give the chance to prove themselves at a big event. I / M next time will do better if they are up to it.

smia

Rinkside
They didn't deliver NOW. And that is very important. Results in the past are in the past that is history. if I am selecting a team, i am picking the most in form teams, that is why. Would you speak the same way if you would be K. Gerboldt ? Put yourself in her shoes please. Or her pertner. or her coach. That is how you should think. Since COR Gerboldt / Enbert improved, and I/M has fallen. For me, I/M are inconsistent.
Since CoR, I/M have fallen? Then why did the judges give them their best scores at the Grand Prix Final? Maybe you should put yourself in Lubov's shoes. She has improved her consistency a lot this season, her performance at Russian Nationals was completely unusual. Eveyone has a bad competition once in a while, I don't think that should cancel out the fact they've gotten better scores than G/E and are more likely to score higher at Europeans.

COC for example, they had their sbs triples downgraded in each segment, SP and LP. that is not a minor mistake.That was not exactly a great competition for them, as they finished behind Yankowski / Mclaughlin.
You've overlooking the fact they had to fly from Russia to Canada and then again a long flight to China where they competed in the short program only five days after having to skate in the exhibitions in Canada. Under those conditions it's impossible to perform to your best abilities. Yet I/M still managed a slightly higher score at CoC than G/E at Cup of Russia, who only had to travel from Saint Petersburg to Moscow.

Look, although I believe that I/M are more deserving of the ticket to Euros, that doesn't mean I dislike G/E. They have a promising look on the ice and if Katarina had switched to pair skating at a younger age they could be really great. At this point they haven't shown more than I/M, they just got lucky at one event.

I want to know what will happen with Maria/Jerome. Will they continue skating together?

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Okay, but if you're the Russian Federation, what do you do, and why?

B/L and K/S are gonna skate well enough to keep three spots at Euros. So they don't have to consider that. What else? If we posted this without names, just facts, how would you respond?

oleada

Record Breaker
IP, I don't even know. It's such a tough call. In the end, I think I would go with Gerboldt/Enbert, because Nationals was the qualifier, and they earned their spot here. At worst, they'd finish fifth at Euros behind Hausch/Wende. I/M had the same chance to qualify and didn't take it. As heartbreaking as it would be for I/M, they'd have to settle for Universiade.

It also might help earn two GP slots for G/E, while I think I/M would more than likely have earned two already.

I have to say, it's not a bad dilemma for the Russian fed. An embarrassment of riches, they have.

smia

Rinkside
It's not set in stone that Nationals is the only qualifier while other seasonal results should be thrown out the window. G/E had two events this season, Coupe de Nice and Cup of Russia, where they could have proven they're capable of achieving the same international results as I/M but their best scores aren't close.

I/M might end up going to Euros anyway:

"Enbert has been called for army service right after the end of the Championships and already cut his hair short. If he can't move the army service he won't be able to train for two to three weeks and the couple would be unable to compete at Europeans if selected."
(Source: report on figureskating-online)

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I just want to point out that Alena Leonova was sent to Europeans in 2009 when she placed 5th at nationals and Nina Petushkova who placed fourth was left home, because Alena had better potential. Of course the difference in level between Leonova and Petushkova was huge, while G/E and I/M are closer. All I'm saying is that results on the GP counted. Plus, it's not about "past results", it's this season. But then again, G/E did fought for it and this time it's not about saving spots for next year, as someone else mentioned. As a fan, I would like to see I/M. But sending G/E would be just as right(as long as they can go, of course)

seniorita

Record Breaker
I really find them better, if only for Lubov's extention and their lifts, and they skate fast and non stop and have nice original choreo. And I would think they are a better bet for Sochi. Really G/E have done a lot in so short time, but the lifts are really scary and unpleasant. Personally I didnt like them cause they look like a classic couple among dozen, not in a good way, nothing stands out as a pair. Of course as I said it is early.

herios

Medalist
I really find them better, if only for Lubov's extention and their lifts, and they skate fast and non stop and have nice original choreo. And I would think they are a better bet for Sochi. Really G/E have done a lot in so short time, but the lifts are really scary and unpleasant. Personally I didnt like them cause they look like a classic couple among dozen, not in a good way, nothing stands out as a pair. Of course as I said it is early.

We were not discussing Sochi here, it is only one competition the upcoming Euros we we were talking about. Who knows what could happen until Sochi? There could be a completely different picture by then.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

Ehh, I think I/M's programs chintzy and trite - their short in particular is too Sui/Han cute.

Looks like the Fed may not have to make a decision, though. ANd Mirunna made a point (vis-a-vis Leonova 2009) so it's not like there isn't precedent.

seniorita

Record Breaker
We were not discussing Sochi here, it is only one competition the upcoming Euros we we were talking about. Who knows what could happen until Sochi? There could be a completely different picture by then.
I meant that at some point RF would start promoting 3 pairs and I/M look more promising for the future, thats all. For now they look to me more ready for Euros. G/E could do a bunch of B events and local competitions until next Euros.
Ehh, I think I/M's programs chintzy and trite - their short in particular is too Sui/Han cute.

I know :) it is a refresh from love drama pair programs, I like cute programs, thats why i love also Kanako´s sp!

herios

Medalist
I meant that at some point RF would start promoting 3 pairs and I/M look more promising for the future, thats all. For now they look to me more ready for Euros. G/E could do a bunch of B events and local competitions until next Euros.

!

You see, this is very unfair, you are totally biased and want to dismiss a team's accomplishments just because you are "in love" with another team who just happans to be their rivals.
I personally am not sold on I/M tee same way as you do, i find them technically still inconsistent. You never know how she will land those jumps or throws.