Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Pairs FS

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TCAngel18 View Post
    If they skate at worlds how they skated here, if the Germans falter, they could take it...
    For sure. If they skate like that they will be the Germans top competition and the Germans wont be able to make hardly any mistakes.

Custom Title
    I love I/M, I do. I'm a huge fan, bordering on uber. But they have only themselves to blame here. They had two major mistakes in the SP, that really affected their presentation and they also failed to get the high levels. Gerboldt/Enbert aren't as good of a team, but they've really improved and they skated very well here. They could've bombed skating after V/T, but they owned the ice and skated really well. I/M only have themselves to blame.

Either way, a deserving team will be left at home :(

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    No. But going by last year, the top skaters at Nationals go to Euros, presuming eligibility. So the question is are I/M that much better than G/E that they deserve be jerryrigged above?

Not really imo. The fans keep bragging that they have the "it" factor. i am not saying they don't but, they were not exactly world beaters on the GP tour either. Bobbles were happening almost at each competition. COC for example, they had their sbs triples downgraded in each segment, SP and LP. that is not a minor mistake.That was not exactly a great competition for them, as they finished behind Yankowski / Mclaughlin.
    My point is Gerboldt / Enbert earned their spot and they should give the chance to prove themselves at a big event. I / M next time will do better if they are up to it.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    They didn't deliver NOW. And that is very important. Results in the past are in the past that is history. if I am selecting a team, i am picking the most in form teams, that is why. Would you speak the same way if you would be K. Gerboldt ? Put yourself in her shoes please. Or her pertner. or her coach. That is how you should think. Since COR Gerboldt / Enbert improved, and I/M has fallen. For me, I/M are inconsistent.
    Since CoR, I/M have fallen? Then why did the judges give them their best scores at the Grand Prix Final? Maybe you should put yourself in Lubov's shoes. She has improved her consistency a lot this season, her performance at Russian Nationals was completely unusual. Eveyone has a bad competition once in a while, I don't think that should cancel out the fact they've gotten better scores than G/E and are more likely to score higher at Europeans.

COC for example, they had their sbs triples downgraded in each segment, SP and LP. that is not a minor mistake.That was not exactly a great competition for them, as they finished behind Yankowski / Mclaughlin.
    You've overlooking the fact they had to fly from Russia to Canada and then again a long flight to China where they competed in the short program only five days after having to skate in the exhibitions in Canada. Under those conditions it's impossible to perform to your best abilities. Yet I/M still managed a slightly higher score at CoC than G/E at Cup of Russia, who only had to travel from Saint Petersburg to Moscow.

Look, although I believe that I/M are more deserving of the ticket to Euros, that doesn't mean I dislike G/E. They have a promising look on the ice and if Katarina had switched to pair skating at a younger age they could be really great. At this point they haven't shown more than I/M, they just got lucky at one event.

I want to know what will happen with Maria/Jerome. Will they continue skating together?
    Last edited by smia; 12-27-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Custom Title
    Okay, but if you're the Russian Federation, what do you do, and why?

B/L and K/S are gonna skate well enough to keep three spots at Euros. So they don't have to consider that. What else? If we posted this without names, just facts, how would you respond?

Custom Title
    IP, I don't even know. It's such a tough call. In the end, I think I would go with Gerboldt/Enbert, because Nationals was the qualifier, and they earned their spot here. At worst, they'd finish fifth at Euros behind Hausch/Wende. I/M had the same chance to qualify and didn't take it. As heartbreaking as it would be for I/M, they'd have to settle for Universiade.

It also might help earn two GP slots for G/E, while I think I/M would more than likely have earned two already.

I have to say, it's not a bad dilemma for the Russian fed. An embarrassment of riches, they have.

Custom Title
    Oleada, I think you've nailed why it should go to G/E.

Medalist
    It's not set in stone that Nationals is the only qualifier while other seasonal results should be thrown out the window. G/E had two events this season, Coupe de Nice and Cup of Russia, where they could have proven they're capable of achieving the same international results as I/M but their best scores aren't close.

Tripping on the Podium
    I/M might end up going to Euros anyway:

"Enbert has been called for army service right after the end of the Championships and already cut his hair short. If he can't move the army service he won't be able to train for two to three weeks and the couple would be unable to compete at Europeans if selected."
    (Source: report on figureskating-online)

Custom Title
    I just want to point out that Alena Leonova was sent to Europeans in 2009 when she placed 5th at nationals and Nina Petushkova who placed fourth was left home, because Alena had better potential. Of course the difference in level between Leonova and Petushkova was huge, while G/E and I/M are closer. All I'm saying is that results on the GP counted. Plus, it's not about "past results", it's this season. But then again, G/E did fought for it and this time it's not about saving spots for next year, as someone else mentioned. As a fan, I would like to see I/M. But sending G/E would be just as right(as long as they can go, of course)

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    No. But going by last year, the top skaters at Nationals go to Euros, presuming eligibility. So the question is are I/M that much better than G/E that they deserve be jerryrigged above?
    I really find them better, if only for Lubov's extention and their lifts, and they skate fast and non stop and have nice original choreo. And I would think they are a better bet for Sochi. Really G/E have done a lot in so short time, but the lifts are really scary and unpleasant. Personally I didnt like them cause they look like a classic couple among dozen, not in a good way, nothing stands out as a pair. Of course as I said it is early.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I really find them better, if only for Lubov's extention and their lifts, and they skate fast and non stop and have nice original choreo. And I would think they are a better bet for Sochi. Really G/E have done a lot in so short time, but the lifts are really scary and unpleasant. Personally I didnt like them cause they look like a classic couple among dozen, not in a good way, nothing stands out as a pair. Of course as I said it is early.
    We were not discussing Sochi here, it is only one competition the upcoming Euros we we were talking about. Who knows what could happen until Sochi? There could be a completely different picture by then.
    Last edited by herios; 12-28-2010 at 11:17 AM.

Custom Title
    Ehh, I think I/M's programs chintzy and trite - their short in particular is too Sui/Han cute.

Looks like the Fed may not have to make a decision, though. ANd Mirunna made a point (vis-a-vis Leonova 2009) so it's not like there isn't precedent.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    We were not discussing Sochi here, it is only one competition the upcoming Euros we we were talking about. Who knows what could happen until Sochi? There could be a completely different picture by then.
    I meant that at some point RF would start promoting 3 pairs and I/M look more promising for the future, thats all. For now they look to me more ready for Euros. G/E could do a bunch of B events and local competitions until next Euros.
    Ehh, I think I/M's programs chintzy and trite - their short in particular is too Sui/Han cute.
    I know it is a refresh from love drama pair programs, I like cute programs, thats why i love also Kanako´s sp!

Custom Title
    I meant that at some point RF would start promoting 3 pairs and I/M look more promising for the future, thats all. For now they look to me more ready for Euros. G/E could do a bunch of B events and local competitions until next Euros.

!

You see, this is very unfair, you are totally biased and want to dismiss a team's accomplishments just because you are "in love" with another team who just happans to be their rivals.
    I personally am not sold on I/M tee same way as you do, i find them technically still inconsistent. You never know how she will land those jumps or throws.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast