Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Nationals - Ladies (gettin' excited!)

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    joe, she had TWO. Two great Carmen skates in a row under extreme pressure. Not to mention three great SP skates in a row, including one that put her first in the world. I'm not saying that she doesn't have problems or that she didn't crumble under pressure last year at worlds in the FS. But it's not that hard to figure out why many of us believe Mirai has huge potential and could challenge the best in the world. Maybe this year will be her year and maybe it won't but there's time before Sochi and she has loads going for her. More than any of the other U.S. ladies, in my opinion, including the even younger ones

as for practices it seems to vary with each skater but Rachael seems like the type who competes like she practices.
    Last edited by Layfan; 01-27-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    The US Ladies do not have, imo, a stellar female skater at the moment.
    Do the US ladies have a stellar male skater?

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    joe, she had TWO. Two great Carmen skates in a row under extreme pressure. Not to mention three great SP skates in a row, including one that put her first in the world. I'm not saying that she doesn't have problems or that she didn't crumble under pressure last year at worlds in the FS. But it's not that hard to figure out why many of us believe Mirai has huge potential and could challenge the best in the world. Maybe this year will be her year and maybe it won't but there's time before Sochi and she has loads going for her. More than any of the other U.S. ladies, in my opinion, including the even younger ones

as for practices it seems to vary with each skater but Rachael seems like the type who competes like she practices.
    Layfan - If I can't recall great SP results without a great LP, it's just my failing mind. I would never be able to say Mirai did not have potential. She has so much potential, but it's time to become winning potential. We'll see this soon, and I will stand with the ovation in her honor.

As for practices, Rachael seems the analytical type of personality, and she will utilized the practice sessions for ensuring her performance in the competions - not like Kat did to intimidate others.

Layfan - If I can't recall great SP results without a great LP, it's just my failing mind. I would never be able to say Mirai did not have potential. She has so much potential, but it's time to become winning potential. We'll see this soon, and I will stand with the ovation in her honor.

As for practices, Rachael seems the analytical type of personality, and she will utilized the practice sessions for ensuring her performance in the competions - not like Kat did to intimidate others.
    I agree basically. It seems incredible that Mirai only has one senior international medal. She needs results. Still, there are only two spots for the world team and she might not get it. Even if she does, a medal at worlds, while far from impossible is a tall order. That's why if this year she doesn't make it I'll be disappointed but I'll still have hope for her future. As long as she has the will to stick with it of course, but that's her business.

Of couse, i agree about Rachael. She was out there doing her job not playing mind games. (although I'm sure her competitors took note of her clean practices )

Custom Title
    Well that's why Abbott and Mirai will never be champions on the World stage. You have to be consistent and keep your emotions in check to win. It has nothing to do with artistic flair.

Well I think Mirai did just fine at keeping her emotions in check at nationals and the Olympics last year.Amazingly well, in fact. OKAY so she had a bad skate at worlds. It was her first worlds. She finished higher at her first worlds than Michelle and Tara did at theirs. I mean, I know they were like 13 or something but the point is just a year later they were at the top of their sports although it took Michelle two more worlds to medal. well, win gold

Custom Title
    From the looks of the practice photos, Mirai's got a new SP dress (everyone else was wearing their SP costumes and this one had a flower on it too so I assumed)
    http://www.universalsports.com/photo...id=513098.html

Rather than put my post down, could you reread it and disagree with the gentleman who said this to me? No one has to believe it if they get the jitters at practice sessions.
    I am not putting you down, I am disagreeing with the fact that someone would say that there's "no pressure" in practice sessions at Nationals. There's HUGE pressure every time you take the ice at Nationals (either at practice, official W/U, 6 minute W/U and actual program). It just depends on the skater whether they feel it most at practice or during their programs.

Judges still make it a practice to watch practices to see who's doing what and where skaters are likely to fall (below average, average, above average, way above average) for program components scores and there have been situations where it seems that skaters have been "held down" or "held up" based on the fact that judges were impressed or dissatisfied with a skater's practices (feel the actual performance was a fluke - either better than practice or worse).

Most coaches impress upon their skaters that from the minute the arrive at Nationals, they are performing. Most coaches make it a rule that practice wear for Nationals (worlds, etc) has to be NICE (a slightly less than competition worthy dress or shirt).

Maybe a well established skater who constantly does well at Worlds (Kwan) or one who has no chance of making it to Worlds this year feels no pressure on the practice, but trust me it's THERE.

Custom Title
    as far as Mirai, if she needs Evan, Kristi to make her practice and/or feel good about herself. she will always have trouble. She should and want to do it by herself and for herself. she shouldn't need extra help like Frank telling Evan to get here to help Mirai, if Mirai wants to be the next it person. She has to do it by herself without extra incentives. my take anyway

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Judges still make it a practice to watch practices to see who's doing what and where skaters are likely to fall (below average, average, above average, way above average) for program components scores and there have been situations where it seems that skaters have been "held down" or "held up" based on the fact that judges were impressed or dissatisfied with a skater's practices (feel the actual performance was a fluke - either better than practice or worse).
    And we wonder why the general public is not into skating.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    From the looks of the practice photos, Mirai's got a new SP dress (everyone else was wearing their SP costumes and this one had a flower on it too so I assumed)
    http://www.universalsports.com/photo...id=513098.html
    I really like the dress! Also nice to see Caroline smiling. It also looks like Christina Gao has been hitting the gym, her arms are starting to look like JoRo's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Well that's why Abbott and Mirai will never be champions on the World stage. You have to be consistent and keep your emotions in check to win. It has nothing to do with artistic flair.
    I don't think its completely fair to compare the two. Jeremy is Evan and Johnny Weir's age, and should have learned to compete by now. Mirai's no spring chicken any more (Both Kim and Asada were World Champs by their 3rd season, which Mirai is on) but Mirai's had her moments of laying down good skates at tough moments and I'm not convinced she's an Abbott like headcase.

I must say though that while Mirai is adorable a part of me does wish watching her interviews and such that she would grow up just a little bit. In terms of her programs, and perhaps thats what Frank is saying to, in terms of how Mirai approaches competition.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    And we wonder why the general public is not into skating.
    Have you tried to judge a group of ~20 with no previous knowledge of what they skate like all in 4:10 (or less if you're looking at lower levels) and try and get the group right? It's really HARD. That's why they watch practices. I also made sure to use "seems that skaters have been..." because there is NO WAY to verify if this is true or not, just a general impression of what happened...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I really like the dress! Also nice to see Caroline smiling. It also looks like Christina Gao has been hitting the gym, her arms are starting to look like JoRo's.
    She also looks to be in better shape, better spirits, and practice reports have been quite good about her, she has her pearl back!

Custom Title
    Is there a live stream for this? I don't have Universal Sports and would really like to watch this event :3

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast