U.S. Nationals - Ladies (gettin' excited!) | Page 5 | Golden Skate

U.S. Nationals - Ladies (gettin' excited!)

Layfan

Record Breaker
Well I think Mirai did just fine at keeping her emotions in check at nationals and the Olympics last year.Amazingly well, in fact. OKAY so she had a bad skate at worlds. It was her first worlds. She finished higher at her first worlds than Michelle and Tara did at theirs. I mean, I know they were like 13 or something but the point is just a year later they were at the top of their sports although it took Michelle two more worlds to medal. well, win gold :)

mskater93

Record Breaker
Rather than put my post down, could you reread it and disagree with the gentleman who said this to me? No one has to believe it if they get the jitters at practice sessions.

I am not putting you down, I am disagreeing with the fact that someone would say that there's "no pressure" in practice sessions at Nationals. There's HUGE pressure every time you take the ice at Nationals (either at practice, official W/U, 6 minute W/U and actual program). It just depends on the skater whether they feel it most at practice or during their programs.

Judges still make it a practice to watch practices to see who's doing what and where skaters are likely to fall (below average, average, above average, way above average) for program components scores and there have been situations where it seems that skaters have been "held down" or "held up" based on the fact that judges were impressed or dissatisfied with a skater's practices (feel the actual performance was a fluke - either better than practice or worse).

Most coaches impress upon their skaters that from the minute the arrive at Nationals, they are performing. Most coaches make it a rule that practice wear for Nationals (worlds, etc) has to be NICE (a slightly less than competition worthy dress or shirt).

Maybe a well established skater who constantly does well at Worlds (Kwan) or one who has no chance of making it to Worlds this year feels no pressure on the practice, but trust me it's THERE.

fairly4

Medalist
as far as Mirai, if she needs Evan, Kristi to make her practice and/or feel good about herself. she will always have trouble. She should and want to do it by herself and for herself. she shouldn't need extra help like Frank telling Evan to get here to help Mirai, if Mirai wants to be the next it person. She has to do it by herself without extra incentives. my take anyway

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Judges still make it a practice to watch practices to see who's doing what and where skaters are likely to fall (below average, average, above average, way above average) for program components scores and there have been situations where it seems that skaters have been "held down" or "held up" based on the fact that judges were impressed or dissatisfied with a skater's practices (feel the actual performance was a fluke - either better than practice or worse).

And we wonder why the general public is not into skating.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Well that's why Abbott and Mirai will never be champions on the World stage. You have to be consistent and keep your emotions in check to win. It has nothing to do with artistic flair.

I don't think its completely fair to compare the two. Jeremy is Evan and Johnny Weir's age, and should have learned to compete by now. Mirai's no spring chicken any more (Both Kim and Asada were World Champs by their 3rd season, which Mirai is on) but Mirai's had her moments of laying down good skates at tough moments and I'm not convinced she's an Abbott like headcase.

I must say though that while Mirai is adorable a part of me does wish watching her interviews and such that she would grow up just a little bit. In terms of her programs, and perhaps thats what Frank is saying to, in terms of how Mirai approaches competition.

mskater93

Record Breaker
And we wonder why the general public is not into skating.

Have you tried to judge a group of ~20 with no previous knowledge of what they skate like all in 4:10 (or less if you're looking at lower levels) and try and get the group right? It's really HARD. That's why they watch practices. I also made sure to use "seems that skaters have been..." because there is NO WAY to verify if this is true or not, just a general impression of what happened...

burntBREAD

Medalist
I really like the dress! Also nice to see Caroline smiling. It also looks like Christina Gao has been hitting the gym, her arms are starting to look like JoRo's.

She also looks to be in better shape, better spirits, and practice reports have been quite good about her, she has her pearl back! :thumbsup:

Lilith11

On the Ice
Is there a live stream for this? I don't have Universal Sports and would really like to watch this event :3

Nadine

Record Breaker
I'm no pro, sometimes I misidentify jumps, but I will try my best. But here's hoping somebody with greater experience than me provides a playback for y'all. :)

Layfan

Record Breaker
From the looks of the practice photos, Mirai's got a new SP dress (everyone else was wearing their SP costumes and this one had a flower on it too so I assumed)
http://www.universalsports.com/photos/galleryid=513098.html

Oh no. I like the other costume so much better.

On the other hand, this one seem to fit her SP story better. I suppose it's more eye-catching.

ETA: I really like Christina Gao's costume. It's different.

Good luck to all the ladies!!!! I really hope they all do their best.

ucrgirl

On the Ice
I'm no pro, sometimes I misidentify jumps, but I will try my best. But here's hoping somebody with greater experience than me provides a playback for y'all. :)

Don't worry Nadine, "Fall", "jump landed", overall impressions and the score will keep me very happy.

bekalc

Record Breaker
joe, she had TWO. Two great Carmen skates in a row under extreme pressure. Not to mention three great SP skates in a row, including one that put her first in the world. I'm not saying that she doesn't have problems or that she didn't crumble under pressure last year at worlds in the FS. But it's not that hard to figure out why many of us believe Mirai has huge potential and could challenge the best in the world. Maybe this year will be her year and maybe it won't but there's time before Sochi and she has loads going for her. More than any of the other U.S. ladies, in my opinion, including the even younger ones

as for practices it seems to vary with each skater but Rachael seems like the type who competes like she practices.

I woudln't say Mirai was under extreme pressure at the Olympics. I'd argue she had way more pressure at Worlds. Mirai had no real hope of medaling at the Olympics, and had nothing to lose their. She had something to lose at Worlds and it showed in her skating.