U.S. Nationals - Ladies (gettin' excited!) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

U.S. Nationals - Ladies (gettin' excited!)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Caroline's opportunities for any kind of success on the National or international stage are rapidly diminishing with all the younger skaters coming up. And this doesn't even include the girls skating in the Junior ranks. Watching some of them last night at the Junior event makes me think that some of the more veteran skaters like Caroline and Ashley and maybe even Rachael will soon be passed up. There is a lot of talent coming up and you either improve or get left behind.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Caroline's opportunities for any kind of success on the National or international stage are rapidly diminishing with all the younger skaters coming up. And this doesn't even include the girls skating in the Junior ranks. Watching some of them last night at the Junior event makes me think that some of the more veteran skaters like Caroline and Ashley and maybe even Rachael will soon be passed up. There is a lot of talent coming up and you either improve or get left behind.

This is true, but I feel like this is usually true. A lot of the junior ladies are quite young, so you can bet at least some of them will be hampered by puberty and/or loss of interest/motivation. That being said, some of the really talented ones are a bit older and more mature looking and could be forces right away. Hicks and Kulgeyko were particularly impressive last night, good jumps, attack, artistry, maturity. I also really like Edmunds and Jiang, they are both quite young, which could be a good or a bad thing, but they both have a nice elegant quality to their skating which you often don't see in 12 and 13 year old skaters.

Last edited:

ranjake

Final Flight
Do any of you have a link to Michelle's 'Black Swan'? Thanks so much- and really enjoying reading all of your comments.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't think i'd enjoy watching the Novice and Junior skaters as much as i did. Lots of talent there. It is good that some of the more talented skaters seem to be a bit older so hopefully they can continue to improve. Polina Edmunds reminds me a bit of the russian babies but at 12 who knows where she will be in 2 years.

lilshorty

On the Ice

seniorita

Record Breaker
Is there the Nationals program somewhere, and in local time?
I want to fix my schedule for men and ladies as Euros are on the same days:cool:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Excuse me for being a bit shallow, but that is not a flattering dress on Caroline. Something about it makes her look chunky in the upper portion.

She loves the tube-top-with-illusion-straps style of dress. I've never thought it was the most flattering style for her, even as a junior.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks everyone for the practice report and the pictures! :thumbsup:

Lol, every couple of hours I check in for updates. :)

I really hope they all do well, how exciting would that be for everybody to skate clean! :cool:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
silvia tweeted the practice, and I'm going to just post them here

http://twitter.com/sylviaunseen

R Flatt had a great afternoon FS run thru, landing 7 triples: 2A-3T, 3Lz-2T, 3F, 3Lz, 3F-2T-2Lo, 3Lo, 3S (high free leg swing out).
C Zhang also looked good in her FS run thru: 3F-2T, 3Lz(e), 3S, 3Lo-2A, 3F, 3Lo-2T-'tano 2T, didn't see her last jump (step out?).
Yasmin Siraj, age 14, had a good FS run thru this afternoon: 3F, 3Lz2T, 2A3T bit shaky but landed, 3S, 3Lz, 3T, 2A2?2Lo, fast spins
Agnes Zawadzki's afternoon FS run thru: 2Aturns3T, 3F, 3Lz-lean F-2T, 3Lz high, 2Lo, 3S fall, 3T2T2Lo. Landed 3S fine afterwards.
Christina Gao's afternoon FS run thru: 3F3T nice, 3S, 3Lz2T2Lo, 3Lo fall, waltz jump instead of 2A, 1F, 3T2T, spins looked improved.
Ashley Wagner's FS run thru: 3F2T, 2A2(or3?)T, 1Lz, 3Lo2T2T, 3S, 3Lo fall, 3F step out. Landed 3F, 3Lo, 3Lz & 3F3T fine afterwards
Mirai Nagasu's FS run thru: 3Lz fall, 2A3T fall, 3F, 3Lz2T, 3T fall, 3Lo, Ina-2A. Landed 2A3T & many 3Lz b4 & after her run thru.

So is it safe to assume Rachael is ready to put up a fight? :thumbsup:
Nobody puts Rachael in a corner. Please make it to Tokyo because your fan is waiting. :)

Layfan

Record Breaker
silvia tweeted the practice, and I'm going to just post them here

http://twitter.com/sylviaunseen

R Flatt had a great afternoon FS run thru, landing 7 triples: 2A-3T, 3Lz-2T, 3F, 3Lz, 3F-2T-2Lo, 3Lo, 3S (high free leg swing out).
C Zhang also looked good in her FS run thru: 3F-2T, 3Lz(e), 3S, 3Lo-2A, 3F, 3Lo-2T-'tano 2T, didn't see her last jump (step out?).
Yasmin Siraj, age 14, had a good FS run thru this afternoon: 3F, 3Lz2T, 2A3T bit shaky but landed, 3S, 3Lz, 3T, 2A2?2Lo, fast spins
Agnes Zawadzki's afternoon FS run thru: 2Aturns3T, 3F, 3Lz-lean F-2T, 3Lz high, 2Lo, 3S fall, 3T2T2Lo. Landed 3S fine afterwards.
Christina Gao's afternoon FS run thru: 3F3T nice, 3S, 3Lz2T2Lo, 3Lo fall, waltz jump instead of 2A, 1F, 3T2T, spins looked improved.
Ashley Wagner's FS run thru: 3F2T, 2A2(or3?)T, 1Lz, 3Lo2T2T, 3S, 3Lo fall, 3F step out. Landed 3F, 3Lo, 3Lz & 3F3T fine afterwards
Mirai Nagasu's FS run thru: 3Lz fall, 2A3T fall, 3F, 3Lz2T, 3T fall, 3Lo, Ina-2A. Landed 2A3T & many 3Lz b4 & after her run thru.

So is it safe to assume Rachael is ready to put up a fight? :thumbsup:
Nobody puts Rachael in a corner. Please make it to Tokyo because your fan is waiting. :)

Yes, it seem Rachael is back to her usual self. I am not at all surprised. It is what I expected.

Wow, what a miserable practice from Mirai :( Oh no.......

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
better to get the falls out in practice... I still have faith in her! :rock:

genki

On the Ice
Thank you so much for all those info and links, everybody.
I enjoyed them a lot.

Just going back to a wonderful Michell's performance, I wondered who among current us ladies has that magic that Michell presented so well.
I mean the power that brings the house down and brings all audience to their feet spontaneously. I specially liked her Tosca and Aranjuez. The last straight step sequences in the both programs were so emotionally charged and exciting!! No wonder Dick was screaming like hell.

Mirai probably has the most potential technically with her speed, flexibility and jumping ability to become the one of the top skaters in the world.(Well, she already is to some extent, being 4th in Olympic.) But I do not feel that magic inn her skating yet. Allissa is a beautiful skater with wonderful basic skating, but she is a little too reserved for me. Rachel, although consistent, is not my favorite.(Sorry fans, just IMO)

I want everybody to skate well, but I want somebody with MAGIC to win this year.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Thank you so much for all those info and links, everybody.
I enjoyed them a lot.

Just going back to a wonderful Michell's performance, I wondered who among current us ladies has that magic that Michell presented so well.
I mean the power that brings the house down and brings all audience to their feet spontaneously. I specially liked her Tosca and Aranjuez. The last straight step sequences in the both programs were so emotionally charged and exciting!! No wonder Dick was screaming like hell.

Mirai probably has the most potential technically with her speed, flexibility and jumping ability to become the one of the top skaters in the world.(Well, she already is to some extent, being 4th in Olympic.) But I do not feel that magic inn her skating yet. Allissa is a beautiful skater with wonderful basic skating, but she is a little too reserved for me. Rachel, although consistent, is not my favorite.(Sorry fans, just IMO)

I want everybody to skate well, but I want somebody with MAGIC to win this year.

Well, living up to Michelle Kwan's magic is a tall order :)

Michelle Kwan is one of the all-time greats.

Mirai and Alissa are not but for me they skate with their own magic. Alissa is one of the most exquisite in the world today with her lines and her amazing spins and her lyricism. And Mirai - when she's at her best - is all exurberance. Those two have won me over.

better to get the falls out in practice... I still have faith in her!

Yes!! Thanks, made me feel better. :thumbsup:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I'm not counting anyone out. Mirai and Rachael have been rivals for a long time. The US ladies haven't had a real rivalry since Weir and Lysacek. :)

at the 2007 JGPF Mirai Gold, Rachael Silver
2008 National Mirai Gold, Rachael Silver
2008 JW Rachael Gold, Mirai Bronze
2009 National Rachael Gold, Mirai 5th
2010 National Rachael Gold, Mirai Silver
Of course, at the Olympics, those two should be so close together.
And then both bombed at World for no particular reason.

Layfan

Record Breaker
^Well, that was disappointing of course but I still put in the perspective that everyone sort of bombed at that worlds except for Mao. And Laura I guess. Post Olympics worlds are always weird.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm not counting anyone out. Mirai and Rachael have been rivals for a long time. The US ladies haven't had a real rivalry since Weir and Lysacek. :)

at the 2007 JGPF Mirai Gold, Rachael Silver
2008 National Mirai Gold, Rachael Silver
2008 JW Rachael Gold, Mirai Bronze
2009 National Rachael Gold, Mirai 5th
2010 National Rachael Gold, Mirai Silver
Of course, at the Olympics, those two should be so close together.
And then both bombed at World for no particular reason.

Um...I think you need a little correction there...you can't revise results to who you thoughh should have won!