U.S. Nationals - Ladies (gettin' excited!) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

U.S. Nationals - Ladies (gettin' excited!)

ivy

On the Ice
I think people forget how young Caroline (and Mirai) really are - 3 years younger then Yu Na and Mao, 8 years younger then Suzuki and a year older then the wunderkid Murakami.

reynycpr

On the Ice
If any of the girls want to go to Worlds, they can skate for it.

Easier said than done... but agreed!

side note: Sylvia posted that Czisny took the practice ice for the 1st time today.

"Alissa Czisny warmed up her jumps well - I've seen 3F, 3Lz2T (twice), 2A (twice), 3Lo, 3T2T. SP run thru: 3Lz2T, 3F bit shaky, 2A. #NC2011"

"Crowd enthusiastically applauded after Czisny finished her SP. Her spins were fabulous as usual & she finished her practice early. "

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks for the heads up, FlattFan! :) Now I recall seeing at least one of those footages, but she was just a child, I never took her seriously. However, since then Mirai has weathered puberty and came out the other side successful! NOW I would love to see her go for the 3axel! :thumbsup:

ivy, your post made me look up the ages of some of this year's competitors, and I say they're ALL young! :eek: Seriously, they're all teenagers yet ~ Ashley Wagner is 19, Rachael 18, Mirai & Caroline 17, and Agnes & Christina 16. :) But I can recall Rachael, Mirai, and Caroline all making their senior debut at 14 yrs. of age! Rachael debuted in 2007, whereas Mirai & Caroline in 2008. :)^) Now it seems like they've been around forever, and as a consequence they seem older than their years, when in reality they're all still teenagers.

I loved reading all of Sylvia's tweets, especially about the men as well. Interesting, I wonder whose going to come through... Hopefully ALL of them. :)

Layfan

Record Breaker
Apparently Jeremy Abbot also only left for nationals today. Aunt Joyce wrote that it seems that Yuka Sato is trying to insulate her two students from the pressure of being favorites. But I'm glad to hear that Alissa showed up today. I think it must be good to start practicing out there and face your competitors, etc. Maybe the best competitors accept the fact that nationals is nerve wracking and just embrace it. Rather than fight it and trying to erase your nerves, which is probably impossible.

Even more glad to hear that Alissa landed all of her jumps. She soooooo has it in her.

ETA: Just read on Sylvia that Rachael Flatt did ANOTHER perfect run through of her FS. Amazing. I wonder what Phil Hersh is going to say if she defends her title.

Seemed like Mirai did okay. Fall on a 2a but everything else landed. But I think it was the 2a that is supposed to be followed by a 3t and she really needs the points on that combo.

Last edited:
I've never put too much stock in practice sessions for predicting results. A regular skate fan - older guy - said, what you see here, you probably will not see in the actual competition, but it's fun to see what they can do when they are not under pressure.

mskater93

Record Breaker
If you think there's no pressure at Nationals practices, you've got another thing coming!

If you think there's no pressure at Nationals practices, you've got another thing coming!
Rather than put my post down, could you reread it and disagree with the gentleman who said this to me? No one has to believe it if they get the jitters at practice sessions.

Before becoming ill, I have seen many practice sessions. Some skaters seem to me to be showing off to other skaters what they can do in hopes of giving them the jitters. That's not pressure; that's a form of intention. Other skaters are busy practicing for solid technique and are oblivious to the one-upmanship skaters. I believe what one sees in practice sessions, is not necessarily what one will see in the competition.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the heads up, FlattFan! :) Now I recall seeing at least one of those footages, but she was just a child, I never took her seriously. However, since then Mirai has weathered puberty and came out the other side successful! NOW I would love to see her go for the 3axel! :thumbsup:

ivy, your post made me look up the ages of some of this year's competitors, and I say they're ALL young! :eek: Seriously, they're all teenagers yet ~ Ashley Wagner is 19, Rachael 18, Mirai & Caroline 17, and Agnes & Christina 16. :) But I can recall Rachael, Mirai, and Caroline all making their senior debut at 14 yrs. of age! Rachael debuted in 2007, whereas Mirai & Caroline in 2008. :)^) Now it seems like they've been around forever, and as a consequence they seem older than their years, when in reality they're all still teenagers.

I loved reading all of Sylvia's tweets, especially about the men as well. Interesting, I wonder whose going to come through... Hopefully ALL of them. :)
I hope Mirai doesn't try to get a triple axel. She needs to improve on her other jumps before even thinking about doing a 3axel quite frankly. Besides in those videos she was much smaller and had more spring in her jumps then she does now. Maybe she could have pulled it off about 3 years ago but now i doubt it. I would much rather see her get a solid triple triple combination which would make her even tougher to beat.

Last edited:

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Last edited:

jeff goldblum

On the Ice
Though it's a little disappointing to hear that Mirai hasn't added a triple-triple to her repertoire or regained her apparent nemesis jump the triple Salchow, I think the triple Axel is something she should be working on. I suppose it's a little odd she's practicing them at Nationals, especially if she isn't also trying lots of other jumps she's not going to attempt in her programs. But this jump is more than possible for her. She usually has one of the best double Axels in all of ladies skating (see Worlds SP 2010) and seems more than capable of rotating that jump. I just hope she makes the World team.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's almost gotten to the point of not being able to watch Mirai skate since you never know how she's really going to do. She can either be great or horrible and when she makes a mistake she doesn't seem to recover from it. Her nerves are still her biggest nemesis. I don't get why she still questions herself about how good she really is.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Jammers, I disagree with you about Mirai Nagasu and the 3axel. In fact she has *more* of a chance to land it now that she's weathered puberty and come out the other end with greater strength & spring. Just look at the latest pics wherein she looks totally pumped & rock solid with muscles showing, this can only help her, not hurt her imho.

Regards her personality that's just her artistic flair showing (ala Oksana Baiul ;) ); she can be great one day or bomb the next day depending on how she feels. I've seen this artistic temperament in plenty, including Jeremy Abbott. :) I only hope she is feeling great for this competition so that it shows in her skating! :thumbsup:

ps: I think Mirai is trying to "psyche out" the other competitors with her 3axel attemtps. :D I'd say with 99.9% assurity that it doesn't affect Rachael. (;^) though I'm not sure about the other competitors?

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Triple axel for Mirai? Are you kidding? She should learn how to rotate her triples at first, not to mention 3-3 combinations

I think fans of Mirai are banking on another colossal Carmen-type of skate. She did have the one, but I have not seen it since then. She is a competant competitive skater and for me, she falls in line with the top US Ladies. The US Ladies do not have, imo, a stellar female skater at the moment. The Men, at least have Abbott and some good challengers.

Layfan

Record Breaker
joe, she had TWO. Two great Carmen skates in a row under extreme pressure. Not to mention three great SP skates in a row, including one that put her first in the world. I'm not saying that she doesn't have problems or that she didn't crumble under pressure last year at worlds in the FS. But it's not that hard to figure out why many of us believe Mirai has huge potential and could challenge the best in the world. Maybe this year will be her year and maybe it won't but there's time before Sochi and she has loads going for her. More than any of the other U.S. ladies, in my opinion, including the even younger ones

as for practices it seems to vary with each skater but Rachael seems like the type who competes like she practices.

Last edited:
joe, she had TWO. Two great Carmen skates in a row under extreme pressure. Not to mention three great SP skates in a row, including one that put her first in the world. I'm not saying that she doesn't have problems or that she didn't crumble under pressure last year at worlds in the FS. But it's not that hard to figure out why many of us believe Mirai has huge potential and could challenge the best in the world. Maybe this year will be her year and maybe it won't but there's time before Sochi and she has loads going for her. More than any of the other U.S. ladies, in my opinion, including the even younger ones

as for practices it seems to vary with each skater but Rachael seems like the type who competes like she practices.
Layfan - If I can't recall great SP results without a great LP, it's just my failing mind. I would never be able to say Mirai did not have potential. She has so much potential, but it's time to become winning potential. We'll see this soon, and I will stand with the ovation in her honor.

As for practices, Rachael seems the analytical type of personality, and she will utilized the practice sessions for ensuring her performance in the competions - not like Kat did to intimidate others.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Layfan - If I can't recall great SP results without a great LP, it's just my failing mind. I would never be able to say Mirai did not have potential. She has so much potential, but it's time to become winning potential. We'll see this soon, and I will stand with the ovation in her honor.

As for practices, Rachael seems the analytical type of personality, and she will utilized the practice sessions for ensuring her performance in the competions - not like Kat did to intimidate others.

I agree basically. It seems incredible that Mirai only has one senior international medal. She needs results. Still, there are only two spots for the world team and she might not get it. Even if she does, a medal at worlds, while far from impossible is a tall order. That's why if this year she doesn't make it I'll be disappointed but I'll still have hope for her future. As long as she has the will to stick with it of course, but that's her business.

Of couse, i agree about Rachael. She was out there doing her job not playing mind games. (although I'm sure her competitors took note of her clean practices :) )

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well that's why Abbott and Mirai will never be champions on the World stage. You have to be consistent and keep your emotions in check to win. It has nothing to do with artistic flair.