Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The MEN (also worth getting excited about).

The Committee will not have a problem. Their deliberations will take about ten seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Back on Topic

There will be, imho, and upset in Men's competition. (probably Ladies too). How will the Select Committee handle it?
    Pick the top 2 or top 3 depending on if it's ladies or men...

unless they are ineligible for some reason (age)
    Last edited by mskater93; 01-11-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: add comment

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Pick the top 2 or top 3 depending on if it's ladies or men...

unless they are ineligible for some reason (age)
    Since they have an official right to select the World Team and they automatically select the Nats results, there is no need to have a Select Committee except for a non top skater who is seriously injured but expected to survive in six weeks with or without practice.

Should not an Orthopedist be part of that Committee? I think Kwan had a doctor on call who said she could skate and the Oly practice session proved that her private audition with the Committee was wrong as was her doctor. No?

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Should not an Orthopedist be part of that Committee? I think Kwan had a doctor on call who said she could skate and the Oly practice session proved that her private audition with the Committee was wrong as was her doctor. No?
    Yes, the Committee was wrong.

Custom Title
    If people really want to rehash what happened in 2006 re. Kwan, can a separate thread be started elsewhere? (From what I recall, the 2? journalists present seemed to indicate that Kwan may have skated well enough in that private monitoring session to justify the committee's decision to send her to Torino.)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-11-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    From what I recall, the 2? journalists present seemed to indicate that Kwan may have skated well enough in that private monitoring session to justify the committee's decision to send her to Torino.
    Well, it's always easy to see what to do after the fact. Now we know that Michelle was never in any shape to skate competitively, no matter that she managed to bite back the pain and do a double Axel or whatever in her test skate.

So, yes, in retrospect the Committee made a mistake. But at the time, I agreed with the Committee. In the first place, this was Michelle Kwan. The same Mivchelle kwan who carried U.S. figure skating on her back for ten years. If Michelle wants to go to Torino, Michelle goes to Torino.

Secondly, I think the USFSA was under a certain amount of pressure from NBC. I remenber the interview Sasha Cohen did with Katy Curic, in which all Curic wanted to talk about was Michelle Kwan, and Sasha was like, what am I, chopped liver?

Well, yes. In terms of NBC's hyping the Olympics, everyone else except Michelle was chopped liver.

So it all worked out for the best after all. Michelle put in a token appearance for the TV cameras and Emily Hughes (who knew enough about the situation to keep on training) got the Olympic experience that she earned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Well, it's always easy to see what to do after the fact. Now we know that Michelle was never in any shape to skate competitively, no matter that she managed to bite back the pain and do a double Axel or whatever in her test skate.
    *I* said it at the time that she wasn't ready... but everyone just chalked it up to me being a nonfan lol

Custom Title
    The Kwan example is like the only one I can ever think of (except also the Kerrigan situation) in which someone who did not participate in nationals was sent somewhere-worlds or Olympics. It's always the top 2 or 3 finishers depending on spots and who are age eligible of course. Nagasu was too young to be sent one year. I also am reading Johnny Weirs book and he states without names that should have been sent instead of Mroz in 2009 because he was a first year senior (when many are still called juniors!) - and I guess Ryan Bradley as well as he was 4th but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    The Kwan example is like the only one I can ever think of (except also the Kerrigan situation) in which someone who did not participate in nationals was sent somewhere-worlds or Olympics. It's always the top 2 or 3 finishers depending on spots and who are age eligible of course. Nagasu was too young to be sent one year. I also am reading Johnny Weirs book and he states without names that should have been sent instead of Mroz in 2009 because he was a first year senior (when many are still called juniors!) - and I guess Ryan Bradley as well as he was 4th but whatever.
    IMO the Kerrigan going to the Olys without nationals was fair, MK not so much. They were riding on the hope of ratings more than anything else, she was so not ready to compete and everyone knew it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    *I* said it at the time that she wasn't ready... but everyone just chalked it up to me being a nonfan lol
    I said she wasn't ready since 2004 when she began to tweek new programs by leaving out elements which would harm her injured back. The made lots of money, though, and it paid for Danny's rink.

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I think Johnny has some regret about not podiumed in Vancover. His inferences sound desperate to me.

btw, Harding went to Olys, and the media went so wild on all this. Poor Nancy was signaled out as the cause for the media.

Eldridge went to Worlds/Olympics one year without a test skate or going through Nationals (the year Bobek got booted off the team). That was when a test skate ended up being required...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Eldridge went to Worlds/Olympics one year without a test skate or going through Nationals
    That was 1992.

(the year Bobek got booted off the team).
    That was 1996. Eldredge didn't win Nationals as expected that year, and one reason was related to one reason that Bobek struggled that year -- both had been touring earlier in the winter which affected their training time (and also Bobek had an injury that she didn't care for well enough), which is probably why you're connecting them in your memory. But Eldredge certainly did earn his spot on the 1996 world team by placing 2nd at Nationals that year.

It was 1992 that he was named to the Olympic/World teams without skating at Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by reynycpr View Post
    Love how Todd's first title was in 1990 and last was in 2002! Pretty darn impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Yeah, Todd really had an up and down career, but a long one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Just because it's so exciting, here's Wylie's Olympic Long Program from Albertville, even though he's not on the list of U.S. champions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nLhA...eature=related

This is one time when Scott Hamilton's excited, admittedly partisan commentary is absolutely right for the occasion. It matches the jubilation of the music, of Wylie's skating, and of the audience. And watch Wylie. He doesn't complete any true combinations (he steps between the first and second jump each time), but look at the tight, straight jumps he does. Look at his beautiful spins, including the immaculate sit spin; also the rapid footwork, the way his movements create a narrative, and that dazzling smile as he defeats his demons. A skate for the ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Layfan, I always hope for Paul Wylie moments for skaters. (Not just for the men! Alissa should have one at Worlds, too.)
    I am SO grateful for Todd & Paul's respective long careers in figure skating.

A little OT, but did anyone on this board attend the Caesars' Tribute to the Golden Age of US Figure Skating? It was an awesome show, and serious one of the best fs shows we've ever attended (and that's saying a lot, since we love SOI so much). While we enjoyed the TV broadcast, we were shocked that 7 worthy programs were "chacked." Here is a link to those 7 programs that should have been included in the broadcast: http://www.stargamesinc.com/exlusiveperformances.html Do not miss Calla & Rocky's performance! It was a travesty that it wasn't shown on the broadcast (now, I'll also admit my bias, but Todd's signature performance of "Il Mare Calmo de la Sera" should have been included too - come on, he's a 6 time US Men's champion, 6 time World medalist, and World Champion - is this sport only about Olympic medalists?)! I'm hoping that Jerry Solomon's company will seriously consider producing/releasing a DVD of the entire show. If anyone else here is interested, please consider e-mailing Jerry @ jerry@stargamesinc.com . There's no guarantee that this will happen, but perhaps if enough people are interested, maybe we could get the desired result. BTW, Uncle Dickie's segment and Paul's interview and performance with Nancy Kerrigan ("The Last Night of the World" from "Miss Saigon" - they did this together at the 1992 Albertville Olympics Exhibition) are just marvelous. If you missed the orignal broadcast, it wil be reaired on the Hallmark Channel in February (check the dissonskating.com website for dates and times).

Now, for these Nationals, may all the men skate their best. I'm particularly rooting for Adam, Jeremy, Ryan, Keegan, and Armin ! Oh, also Jonathan Cassar, Ross Miner, Sean Rabbitt ...

On the Junior level - Nathan Chen, Emanuel Savary, Harrison Choate
    Last edited by iluvtodd; 01-16-2011 at 06:33 AM.

Custom Title
    On another note, when Alexei Urmanov won the Olympics in 1994, it was his first international victory. Most of his career was after that win, and he won all the major titles except Worlds.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast