Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: The MEN (also worth getting excited about).

What were the major titles after 1994 Olys? I presume you mean those silly Sunday afternoon forgettable comps except the Worlds?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    IMO the Kerrigan going to the Olys without nationals was fair, MK not so much. They were riding on the hope of ratings more than anything else, she was so not ready to compete and everyone knew it.
    If Czisny and Meissner had skated better at those Nationals and the 3rd place finisher had a really strong performance, Kwan probably wouldnt have gotten the bye. Since Emily Hughes took 3rd with mediocre skating, they were all too happy to give Kwan the bye.

I dont think it was a mistake. She was healthy enough to compete in Vancouver at one point but then reinjured herself in practice. I think she might have gotten through the competition decently with a clean short and semi clean 4 or 5 triple long and come around 5th had she not reinjured herself on a fall in practice leading in. She was never going to win the gold, only her craziest fans had delusions of that, but she was still likely to come better than Hughes. I cant believe Hughes even came 7th in Vancouver, probably because her last name is Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    What were the major titles after 1994 Olys? I presume you mean those silly Sunday afternoon forgettable comps except the Worlds?
    I think Polymer Bob means all the events that Urmanov won in subsequent seasons.

1997-98 Europeans
    1994-95 Russian Championship
    1995-96 Russian Championship
    1995-96 Grand Prix Final (called the Champions series then)
    1995-96 Skate Canada
    1996-97 Nations Cup (German Grand Prix evebt)
    1997-98 Cup of Russia
    1998-99 Cup of Russia

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I dont think it was a mistake. She was healthy enough to compete in Vancouver at one point but then reinjured herself in practice.
    I don't think so. I think she had been skating on a wing and prayer for a year or more. Some days she hurt a little less, some days a little more. On the "a little less" days, she thought she could do it.

Still, I agree with your main point. The U.S. did not have anyone else who was going to contend for a medal, so why not?
    Last edited by Mathman; 01-20-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I don't think so. I think she had been skating on a wing and prayer for a year or more. Some days she hurt a little less, some days a little more. On the "a little less" days, she thought she could do it.
    Wasn't there an interview with Artunian to this effect a couple years after where he said something like I'd let Michelle take a couple laps and she'd look at me and if she shook her head NO I knew we weren't working that day?

^ Yes I remember that.

In fact, Arutunian never even went to Torino for the 2006 Olympics. He hopped on a plane to Moscow instead.

Custom Title
    I'll be honest I'm most excited to see Ryan Bradley. Not only does he tower over all the other little boys, but he has 2 quads in his arsenal. I just wish he would get serious and get the job done. This is the very reason I can't call myself a fan of his in the past because it's one thing to have a great sense of humour, but it's another thing entirely to become the class clown. It gets old after awhile. Time to grow up and lay it down on the ice.

On that note, I hope he blows everybody away with his new "Bugle Boy" routine ~ can't wait to finally see it!!!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4