Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Miki Ando's quad salchow attempts video

Custom Title

Miki Ando's quad salchow attempts video

After my video with Irina Slutskaya's triple-triples I did video with Miki Ando's quads. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh93A8xR_IQ

Please watch, share and comment. Hope you like it. And if you know any other quad done by Miki which isn't in the video please let me know so that I can add it.

Custom Title
    I think the closet one to getting full rotation is the one Miki did in 2008 GPF. Its on the border line of 1/4, and good landing and should a huge score with today 70% value rule.

Custom Title
    I gotta corect myself because two first clips shows the same competition, just different ankles. They are both Japanese Nats 03-04. I will add Junior GPF 02-03 where she became first woman ever to land a quad and reupload the video.

Custom Title
    I still do not understand why Bonaly is not credited with the first quad, is it because she is black?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterB View Post
    I still do not understand why Bonaly is not credited with the first quad, is it because she is black?
    She is also known for having attempted a quadruple toe loop jump at the 1991 World Figure Skating Championships - the first and only female skater to have done so. Though she landed the jump, she was not fully rotated in the air and had to complete the rotation on the ice, making it a triple and not a quadruple jump. Bonaly was never credited with successfully landing the jump by the International Skating Union.
    That's why.

Custom Title
    While I agree with the above poster that it was deemed under-rotated, I do agree with you that Bonaly suffered a good deal from racism and not being a "traditional" skater. There's no reason that a skater like her should not have won World's at some point.

Custom Title
    Which year do you think she deserved the title and was unfairly robbed?

Custom Title
    Bonaly's quad was underrotated. It's on Youtube, if you can search for her performance at 1991.
    Last edited by burntBREAD; 01-01-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Custom Title
    Here it is. Her jumps do seem to land a little short.
    Last edited by ImaginaryPogue; 01-01-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SerpentineSteps View Post
    I do agree with you that Bonaly suffered a good deal from racism and not being a "traditional" skater.
    She was so untraditional that she decided to not use edges at all while skating.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SerpentineSteps View Post
    There's no reason that a skater like her should not have won World's at some point.

Maybe because of the fact that so many aspects of Surya's skating--her basic skating skills, most glaringly--were shockingly deficient for an elite-level skater? Even Surya's jumps, on closer examination, were very much flawed (the telegraphing, the way she often muscled them out with zero flow, the wild swinging free leg, etc). I personally think she's fortunate that a skate like this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqi-_o2P77E) could win a major ISU championship.

The sad thing was that Surya really had talent. She would probably been much more successful and a far superior skater if she received some proper training in basics, etc and got away from the machinations of her mother and Didier G.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    ^mmm, yes I see what you guys mean. There really is hardly any skating at all in the program but you can see what an incredible athlete she was. Her spins were pretty fast, actually. Faster than I remembered them. It is a pity that she didn't pay attention to the basics. Her footwork is basically nonexistent, to say nothing of choreography and artistry.

Custom Title
    I know she under-rotated the quad toe at 91 Worlds but, after watching Ando's quad she too under-rotated it but, got credit for it. That's the reason I mentioned the black card.

And to answer someone's statement above I think she was robbed at Worlds 93. Bonaly had beaten Oksana at Europeans but, two months later she was the new princess on ice, after Kerrigan fell apart.

Custom Title
    I know she under-rotated the quad toe at 91 Worlds but, after watching Ando's quad she too under-rotated it but, got credit for it. That's the reason I mentioned the black card.

And to answer someone's statement above I think she was robbed at Worlds 93. Bonaly had beaten Oksana at Europeans but, two months later she was the new princess on ice, after Kerrigan fell apart.
    IIRC, Ando's only had one of her quads ratified, and I can't find it on video. All those in the video weren't counted (I think), I'm not sure about Nationals...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    IIRC, Ando's only had one of her quads ratified, and I can't find it on video. All those in the video weren't counted (I think), I'm not sure about Nationals...
    I found video with her first quad ever (Junior GPF 2002-2003) and I added it to the video. I will reupload it tomorrow. But I must say that this quad is underrotated too and I don't know why they gave her credit for it. And again I gotta correct myself about two first clips in my video because a native speaker from Japan told me that the first quad is from Japan Junior Nats 03-04 and the second one is from Japan Senior Nats 03-04 and I believe she was given a credit for both of those attempts (she won both competitions).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast