Miki Ando's quad salchow attempts video | Golden Skate

Miki Ando's quad salchow attempts video

Bartek

On the Ice
After my video with Irina Slutskaya's triple-triples I did video with Miki Ando's quads. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh93A8xR_IQ

Please watch, share and comment. Hope you like it. And if you know any other quad done by Miki which isn't in the video please let me know so that I can add it.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I think the closet one to getting full rotation is the one Miki did in 2008 GPF. Its on the border line of 1/4, and good landing and should a huge score with today 70% value rule.

Bartek

On the Ice
I gotta corect myself because two first clips shows the same competition, just different ankles. They are both Japanese Nats 03-04. I will add Junior GPF 02-03 where she became first woman ever to land a quad and reupload the video.

MasterB

Final Flight
I still do not understand why Bonaly is not credited with the first quad, is it because she is black?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I still do not understand why Bonaly is not credited with the first quad, is it because she is black?

She is also known for having attempted a quadruple toe loop jump at the 1991 World Figure Skating Championships - the first and only female skater to have done so. Though she landed the jump, she was not fully rotated in the air and had to complete the rotation on the ice, making it a triple and not a quadruple jump. Bonaly was never credited with successfully landing the jump by the International Skating Union.

That's why.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice

While I agree with the above poster that it was deemed under-rotated, I do agree with you that Bonaly suffered a good deal from racism and not being a "traditional" skater. There's no reason that a skater like her should not have won World's at some point.

burntBREAD

Medalist

Bonaly's quad was underrotated. It's on Youtube, if you can search for her performance at 1991.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
There's no reason that a skater like her should not have won World's at some point.

Maybe because of the fact that so many aspects of Surya's skating--her basic skating skills, most glaringly--were shockingly deficient for an elite-level skater? Even Surya's jumps, on closer examination, were very much flawed (the telegraphing, the way she often muscled them out with zero flow, the wild swinging free leg, etc). I personally think she's fortunate that a skate like this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqi-_o2P77E) could win a major ISU championship.

The sad thing was that Surya really had talent. She would probably been much more successful and a far superior skater if she received some proper training in basics, etc and got away from the machinations of her mother and Didier G.

Layfan

Record Breaker
^mmm, yes I see what you guys mean. There really is hardly any skating at all in the program but you can see what an incredible athlete she was. Her spins were pretty fast, actually. Faster than I remembered them. It is a pity that she didn't pay attention to the basics. Her footwork is basically nonexistent, to say nothing of choreography and artistry.

MasterB

Final Flight
I know she under-rotated the quad toe at 91 Worlds but, after watching Ando's quad she too under-rotated it but, got credit for it. That's the reason I mentioned the black card.

And to answer someone's statement above I think she was robbed at Worlds 93. Bonaly had beaten Oksana at Europeans but, two months later she was the new princess on ice, after Kerrigan fell apart.

burntBREAD

Medalist
I know she under-rotated the quad toe at 91 Worlds but, after watching Ando's quad she too under-rotated it but, got credit for it. That's the reason I mentioned the black card.

And to answer someone's statement above I think she was robbed at Worlds 93. Bonaly had beaten Oksana at Europeans but, two months later she was the new princess on ice, after Kerrigan fell apart.

IIRC, Ando's only had one of her quads ratified, and I can't find it on video. All those in the video weren't counted (I think), I'm not sure about Nationals...

Bartek

On the Ice
IIRC, Ando's only had one of her quads ratified, and I can't find it on video. All those in the video weren't counted (I think), I'm not sure about Nationals...

I found video with her first quad ever (Junior GPF 2002-2003) and I added it to the video. I will reupload it tomorrow. But I must say that this quad is underrotated too and I don't know why they gave her credit for it. And again I gotta correct myself about two first clips in my video because a native speaker from Japan told me that the first quad is from Japan Junior Nats 03-04 and the second one is from Japan Senior Nats 03-04 and I believe she was given a credit for both of those attempts (she won both competitions).

Which year do you think she deserved the title and was unfairly robbed?

I thought Bonaly should have won 1993 worlds over Oksana Baiul.

In 1994, at the time I thought she should have won worlds over Yuka Sato. But since that time I have come better to appreciate what Sato brought to her performance.

ks777

Record Breaker
While I agree with the above poster that it was deemed under-rotated, I do agree with you that Bonaly suffered a good deal from racism and not being a "traditional" skater. There's no reason that a skater like her should not have won World's at some point.

I don't think her race had much to do with it. It was her skating skills that was lacking IMO. She never learned how to use her edges.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Hmmm, after some thought I've decided to weigh in on this issue as well.

First off, I've *always* contended that the quad salchow that Miki Ando was credited with as being the 1st woman in history to do so was obviously underrotated by 1/2, but she's not nor will she be the only skater in history to get credit for a jump that was underrotated, even Uncle Dick Button has always maintained that some of the jumps he was credited with as being the first to do so were underrotated as well. C'est la vie.

***Note: Miki Ando still should be credited with this achievement because of the several she has done throughout her career thus far, ONE was actually rotated, this coming from a stickler for perfection.***

Now as regards Surya Bonaly, she achieved a lot throughout her career, and I personally have no quibble with any of the decisions that have been made throughout history, man or woman. No amount of whining will change history, so it is written, so it shall stand.

That said, a person (be it skater or not) makes his/her own bed by their actions, attitude, character. And this is reflected, rightfully or wrongfully, in how they are perceived by others. And in the case of Surya Bonaly, and Tonya Harding as well, their attitudes were not received well by the judges. Therefore, it's no surprise to me that Surya Bonaly was never credited with the quad, nor that Kimmie Meissner was credited with being the second American woman in history to have completed a 3axel in competition, though it was obviously underroted by 1/2. Once again, I say c' est la vie. :)

Nadine

Record Breaker
p.s. after watching the video of all Miki's quad attempts, I realized I got her mixed up with another favorite of mine, Yukari Nakano. It is *Yukari Nakano* I would still give credit for landing the 3axel, even though the one she was credited with was obviously underrotated by 1/2, but she did land ONE where it was fully rotated! :thumbsup: Whereas Miki has unfortunately never landed a clean quad attempt judging by the videos. :(

Layfan

Record Breaker
Interesting about '93. I'll have to go revisit that one when I get a moment. Nadine, I didn't know Dick Button had said that. Thanks for sharing. :)