The Quad and The Canadians - P.J. and Elvis | Golden Skate

The Quad and The Canadians - P.J. and Elvis

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
P.J. and Elvis talk about The Quad and The Canadians

This bodes well for Canadian skaters like Reynolds, who landed his first quad loop jump in practice in front of Stojko on his home rink in Vancouver, while the 2010 Olympics were going on (Reynolds was left off the team).

Last edited:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Stojko tried them in a jumping harness as a skater, which makes me think that they might not be that far into the future

Tried =/= came close to doing them

But I think skaters should master the quads before even trying to do a quint. It'd be crazy if someone attempted one though.

Teehee at the mullet.

bibi24

Final Flight
Thanks for sharing the interview! *misses Stojko*

Timothy Goebel thinks quints are possible.... in pairs.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Just give the young Sui/Han a couple of years. They just did a 4S throw with +1 GOE at the Chinese Nationals.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Interesting article about the Canadians big role in quads. Will Patrick Chan win worlds in 2011 doing a quad? Being the first man in three years to do one? More men are doing quads as scoring system changes has meant a percieved notion that they are necessary. But that may not stick. People thought the same about doing quads at the 2010 Olympic games but of course the winner didn't do any. I thought that quads aren't even fully a part of mens skating yet (or took a HUGE step back in 2010 becaue of the Olympic judges saying don't do them) so quints seem crazy. Quints in pairs seem more possible because of the Chinese.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I thought that quads aren't even fully a part of mens skating yet (or took a HUGE step back in 2010 becaue of the Olympic judges saying don't do them)

The Olympic judges did not say anything like that. They did say that doing a quad does not help a skater to win, if the skater is not good enough in many other elements, too. In a skating programme quad is only one element.

gmyers

Record Breaker
The Olympic judges did not say anything like that. They did say that doing a quad does not help a skater to win, if the skater is not good enough in many other elements, too. In a skating programme quad is only one element.

I disagree - I think the judges at the Olympic said don't be so jump focused that you can do quads. Just do triples and leave the jump ceiling there and then when you get triples stop and work on spins and steps. Skaters were learning this and stopped doing quads because the world champions in 2008 and 2009 didn't do any either and they won. There was a stop doing quads movement. Maybe that changed with the rule changes that gave quads more points and the whole underrotate and GOE systems were changed. The people in charge of the technical aspects of skating at the ISU saw that judges weren't giving victories to people who could do quads anymore- and this was RADICALLY different than what was going on under 6.0 and the first years of COP.

Last edited: