Ladies prospects | Golden Skate

Ladies prospects

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
ALL SKATERS must reach a minimal TES score for both the SP and the FS. They must be in a qualified ISU competition in 2009-2010 or 2010-11 but can be earned on separate competitions. For the ladies that is 15.00 in the SP and 25 in the FS. This is more for the lower ranked skaters.

The ISU has put in a qualifying round, but not all have to skate it. The federations will be given one direct entry into the SP for each skate they had in the Top 18 in last year's Worlds. All other entries will have to qualify for the final 12 spots for a total of 30 entries.

DIRECTLY QUALIFIED FOR THE SHORT PROGRAM (direct entries are given to federations who had top 18 skaters from previous Worlds)

AUS 1
CAN 1 Cynthia Phaneuf
CHN 1
FIN 1 Kiira Korpi (likely)
GBR 1 Jenna McCorkell
GER 1
GEO 1 Elene Gedevanishvili
HUN 1
ITA 1 Carolina Kostner
JPN 1 Miki Ando
JPN 2 Mao Asada
JPN 3 Kanako Murakami
KOR 1 Yu-Na Kim
SWE 1 Joshi Helgesson
RUS 1 Alena Leonova
RUS 2 Ksenia Makarova
USA 1 Alissa Czisny
USA 2 Rachael Flatt

(Breakdown of direct entries: 3 JPN; 2 USA; 2 RUS making up 7 of the entries. 11 more federations have one direct entry).

Final 12 spots qualified via qualifying round (see below).

QUALIFYING ROUND ENTRIES:

MULTIPLE-SKATER NATIONS:
The following second (or third) skaters from these countries will have to do a QR because there was no skater competing in that spot last year or a skater from that country failed to break into the top 18. The skater with the lower World Standing will be the one who will have to skate the qualifying round.

Here are the countries with skaters who will have to skate in the QR.

CAN 2 Myrianne Samson
FIN 2 Beate Papp (2nd at Nationals) or Laura Lepisto* if she recovers from injury.
ITA 2 Valentina Marchei (second at Nationals)
KOR 2 Min-Jung Kwak (third at nationals but other skaters not age eligible)
SWE 2 Viktoria Helgesson**

* FINLAND NOTE: Ironically though it was Kiira (by placing 19th in last year's Worlds) that caused the necessity of QR, Laura (despite being the reigning bronze medalist) currently has the lower WS thanks to Kiira's success on the GP circuit.
** SWEDISH NOTE: Yes Viktoria is the current National champion and was the one who earned the second spot in the first place. But she has lower WS than her sister Joshi, who has done relatively well on the GP circuit.

OTHER COUNTRIES LIKELY TO ENTER:
SWI 1 - Bettina Heim
ESP 1 - Sonia Lafuente
EST 1 - Elena Glebova

I will add other countries who will have a skater in the QR as I see it.

Last edited:

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
ALL SKATERS must reach a minimal TES score for both the SP and the FS. They must be in a qualified ISU competition in 2009-2010 or 2010-11 but can be earned on separate competitions. For the ladies that is 15.00 in the SP and 25 in the FS. This is more for the lower ranked skaters.

The ISU has put in a qualifying round, but not all have to skate it. The federations will be given one direct entry into the SP for each skate they had in the Top 18 in last year's Worlds. All other entries will have to qualify for the final 12 spots for a total of 30 entries.

DIRECTLY QUALIFIED FOR THE SHORT PROGRAM (direct entries are given to federations who had top 18 skaters from previous Worlds)

AUS 1
CAN 1
CHN 1
FIN 1 Kiira Korpi (likely)
GBR 1 Jenna McCorkell
GER 1
GEO 1 Elene Gedevanishvili
HUN 1
ITA 1 Carolina Kostner
JPN 1 Miki Ando
JPN 2 Mao Asada
JPN 3 Kanako Murakami
KOR 1 Yu-Na Kim
SWE 1 Joshi Helgesson
RUS 1 Alena Leonova
RUS 2 Ksenia Makarova
USA 1
USA 2

(Breakdown of direct entries: 3 JPN; 2 USA; 2 RUS making up 7 of the entries. 11 more federations have one direct entry).

Final 12 spots qualified via qualifying round (see below).

QUALIFYING ROUND ENTRIES:

MULTIPLE-SKATER NATIONS:
The following second (or third) skaters from these countries will have to do a QR because there was no skater competing in that spot last year or a skater from that country failed to break into the top 18. The skater with the lower World Standing will be the one who will have to skate the qualifying round.

Here are the countries with skaters who will have to skate in the QR.

CAN 2
FIN 2 Beate Papp (2nd at Nationals) or Laura Lepisto* if she recovers from injury.
ITA 2 Valentina Marchei (second at Nationals)
KOR 2
SWE 2 Viktoria Helgesson**

* FINLAND NOTE: Ironically though it was Kiira (by placing 19th in last year's Worlds) that caused the necessity of QR, Laura (despite being the reigning bronze medalist) currently has the lower WS thanks to Kiira's success on the GP circuit.
** SWEDISH NOTE: Yes Viktoria is the current National champion and was the one who earned the second spot in the first place. But she has lower WS than her sister Joshi, who has done relatively well on the GP circuit.

OTHER COUNTRIES LIKELY TO ENTER:
SWI 1 - Sarah Meier
ESP 1 - Sonia Lafuente
EST 1 - Elena Glebova

I will add other countries who will have a skater in the QR as I see it.

Umm... I think that the fun "Alternative ways to determine Worlds roster" is a fun hypothetical, not what the ISU will actually use.

Keep the hypothetical in that thread, to prevent confusion. This sub-forum should be about the actual 2011 World champs.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Umm... I think that the fun "Alternative ways to determine Worlds roster" is a fun hypothetical, not what the ISU will actually use.

Keep the hypothetical in that thread, to prevent confusion. This sub-forum should be about the actual 2011 World champs.

This is not a hypothetical! These are the new rules passed by the ISU during it's congress last summer. I can see the confusion as I ended up getting into the actual rules in the hypthetical methods thread.

ETA: The new rules can be found in the ISU Special Regulations & Technical Rules Singles & Pair Skating and Ice Dance 2010, Section 378.

Last edited:

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This is not a hypothetical! These are the new rules passed by the ISU during it's congress last summer. I can see the confusion as I ended up getting into the actual rules in the hypthetical methods thread.

ETA: The new rules can be found in the ISU Special Regulations & Technical Rules Singles & Pair Skating and Ice Dance 2010, Section 378.

Thank you for compiling this list along with your excellent explanation of the ISU rules :) It's very informative to me.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Interesting thread, but a little confusing for me I admit.

Anyhow, if this thread is about potential placings as well, I just wanted to say that I see Yuna Kim as the one to beat, simply because she has it all ~ jumps, presentation, beauty, speed, consistency, etc. ~ all this times 10. But my hope is that Mirai Nagasu can finally put the USA on the map, she has everything that Yuna has imho except jumps & consistency, Mirai's jumps are not as high nor are they all fully rotated, also Mirai doesn't have 3/3 combos., which will hurt her. Still, she is America's best hope imho because what she does have is flexibility, presentation times 10, tall lean ballerina body, joy, speed, spins, spirals, ad infinitum! :) And of course Mao Asada is always a threat, she & Mirai are on the same level imho, but Mao has the edge in technical difficulty (the 3axel!), and they tie on presentation imho, though Mirai is an extrovert whereas Mao is an introvert, I love them both. :love:

But Miki Ando looks to beat them both, lol. :D Why? Well because Miki has consistency & most importantly more difficulty ~ big high fully rotated triple jumps and 3/3 combos. for good measure, though the second jump is usually underrotated, unlike Yuna Kim, whom never underrotates her jumps.

Still, it's wide open because when Carolina Kostner is on she's just as good as Yuna Kim, with even faster speed out of all the ladies competing! Then of course there are the Finnish gals, and the third Japanese skater whom is always a threat as well.

This looks to be an exciting Worlds, but if everybody skates their best without errors or mistakes, I would have it Yuna Kim in first place by a mile, Mao second, Mirai/Carolina/Finnish gal third. ;)

That said, I just hope nobody gets injured or has to drop out; the best competitions are when everybody skates their best and you win! :)^)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In what alternate universe is Costner as good as Kim when she's on top of her game?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2008 Kostner would have no chance against 2009-2010 Kim. And she didn't.

russell30

Final Flight
Interesting that 12 to qualify for Short Program, could be in excess of 30 skaters in that qualifying round, I wonder if they b split into 2 groups and possibly seeded to allow the likes of V Helgesson, Lepisto or Marchei, Samson to get through :unsure:

Sarah Meier although she is the European Champion will not be at World's but I am sure the Federation will try to persuade her but I am 100% she will not be there, they will probably give that spot to Romy Buhler who did well at Europeans.

Laura Lepisto very unsure. I would rather see Laura scatch this season out and recover fully from the achilles as it is a serious injury and start fresh next season. Not sure about Papp they might go for Juulia Turkkila who again did well at Europeans.

Elena Glebova again uncertainty only 3rd at Nationals and seems to be slipping backwards. Again National champion Gerli Innamae did well at Europeans and might get the nod for World's

Selina11

Rinkside
The swiss federation already nominated Bettina Heim in Ladies and Mikael Redin in Men for worlds.

russell30

Final Flight
OH Yes, Bettina was National Champion. Good luck to her but Romy Buhler has more potential IMO

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
2008 Kostner would have no chance against 2009-2010 Kim. And she didn't.

2008 Kostner had no chance against 2008 Kim really. Kostner was detroyed by Kim in all competitions throughout the season leading into Worlds, including the GP final where she had her cleanest long program ever probably (since she has never had a truly clean LP). Worlds was a badly injured Kim and she still would have easily beaten Kostner without what nearly all acknowledged at the time was some ridiculously bad judging. Kostner was never competitive with Kim at any point really.

I agree talent wise Kostner could rival someone like Kim but unfortunately she has never put it all together. Even her best efforts of the past failed to maximize her full potential.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Kanako Murakami just won the Ladies' event at the Asian Winter Games with a Free Skate TES greater than Miki's at GPF. I think that makes it the highest TES of the season? (I just checked that it's higher than Adelina's too).

Aaand we have a new contender in the mix. :)

Thank you Mrs. P for the What's it all about Worlds. I don't see any hypothetical listing here.

I think predictions are a waste of time. I think highest past scores are meaningless, but it's nice to know who the contestants are. We'll see who the winners are some time around the 26 March.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If being at the top of your game is skating cleanly Kostner has never once been on the top of her game her whole career. She is this generations Cohen just with way better jumps and basic skating but less spectacular highlight moves.

russell30

Final Flight
Carolina skated a flawless free program routine at 2003 Europeans, then again SP at 2003 Worlds, 2005 worlds were good skates, 2006 European free skate not bad, 2007 world SP brilliant (one of the best of all time).:biggrin:

It is psychological with a lot of the skaters and it is so important these days for them to have a sports psychologist.

A lot of talented skaters do not reach their full potential or to find regular consistency.

But Injury or illness does play a part as well which does not help things.

russell30

Final Flight
Overall Carolina has had a good career so far. I have always been an artistic skater, I have no complaint about her PCS marks, a lot of people still see the sport as landing jumps. But like Katarina Witt once said "It is not all about jumps, the artistic side is just as important" Anyway I'm going off the subject from the start of the thread.

Carolina surprised me with her exquisite presentation at the GP Finals. Had the judges made her the winner over Alissa, I would not have complained.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Carolina surprised me with her exquisite presentation at the GP Finals. Had the judges made her the winner over Alissa, I would not have complained.

Interestingly in that competition, all ladies save Rachael skated their FS so well that the final standings were determined by their SPs.

2nd through 5th were spread across 1.66 points (117.12 to 115.46), and despite Miki's substantial lead over Kanako in the FS (122.70) she was trailing far enough behind that it didn't matter.