Flatt should go to school, her peak is already in the past | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Flatt should go to school, her peak is already in the past

Layfan

Record Breaker
Well, as long as we do have another thread on Rachael, I'm going to take advantage a re-post her exhibition program from SA, in case some posters haven't seen it yet. She just looks so free and sophisticated. I still wish she would do something along these line for her competitive programs. And wear something like this. I really like her spread eagles. they are actually better than Alissa's spread eagles, which she also does in her exhibition program.

\\http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUP4sjFI4b0&feature=fvw

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
Unfortunately, pangtongfan is a poster who has been known to pick on skaters. Miki Ando and Rachael Flatt have been the targets of his complaints before, even if he or she has no right to suggest what figure skaters should do with their lives.

I dislike this kind of worthless mean-spirited thread. What is the point of this? It seems pangtongfan really wants to get rid of Rachael. Rachel still has a great potential to do well. And I thought it was a wonderful idea to take a gap year to do something she loves which is skating. I know she will be succesfull whatever she does.
How many skaters became a national champion while keeping high GPA with all those difficult AP classes attending school everyday? I am sure she will do week at the National.
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RACHAELLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Prokofiev, I know that a thread like this may look a bit mean-spirited from its title, but it never stays that way for long. Look at how many people, including you and me, have leaped to Rachael's defense. I agree with you that skating as well as she did while keeping a high GPA in high school was quite an achievement. This alone would have made me a fan. I hope she's recovered in time for Nationals, so she can skate her best.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Olympia, it's not necessarily just about Flatt or her fans. It's just mean and obnoxious to tell a talented, hardworking and successful 18 year she is done, and to quit what she loves, works hard at and has great success at.

How many people of any age can compare or aspire to what she's achieved? Who the hell is any of us to tell her what to do with her life and her career? Or to anybody of her level of success, who should be a role model, whatever the field s/he excels in.

Rachael doesn't need the advice of Pangtonwhatever. No skater does! Like all skaters, she will make up her own mind on what to do in life. Doesn't everyone?

Olympia, it's not necessarily just about Flatt or her fans. It's just mean and obnoxious to tell a talented, hardworking and successful 18 year she is done, and to quit what she loves, works hard at and has great success at.

How many people of any age can compare or aspire to what she's achieved? Who the hell is any of us to tell her what to do with her life and her career? Or to anybody of her level of success, who should be a role model, whatever the field s/he excels in.

That's pretty much what I was saying, but you said it better.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I think it's encouraging to know that people here know the difference between providing constructive criticism and totally putting someone down.

Rachael, on the other hand, is an Olympian and the reigning U.S. champion. It is hard for me to imagine a 17-year-old considering retiring right after winning the U.S. title. Rachael was doing just fine before she got injured this season. At any rate, her season has been going no worse (actually far better) than Mirai's the year after SHE won the title. Nobody was suggesting Mirai retire...

Rachael could very well defend her title or at least make the team - and she could very well get the third spot back for the Americans ladies. I think she's a long shot for a medal, but as one of the few ladies doing five triples, I wouldn't rule it out either.

Wanting to note this earlier post. Indeed Mirai wasn't anywhere close to the GPF in the season after her U.S. nationals win (5th at 2008 SA and 8th at 2008 NHK)

And on second thought I guess I'm surprised this is coming from someone who is a fan of Pang and Tong. After winning the 2006 WC and the silver medal at 2007 Worlds, I remember that a lot of skating folks brushed them off in the rise of S&S, K&K, their teammates Z/Z and even for a moment D/D from Canada. At first glance it looked as though P/T peaked in 2006 with that WC. But what a pleasant surprise that P/T rose in 2010 with the GPF silver, the Olympic silver and the 2010 World title.

Last edited:

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
Prokofiev, I know that a thread like this may look a bit mean-spirited from its title, but it never stays that way for long. Look at how many people, including you and me, have leaped to Rachael's defense. I agree with you that skating as well as she did while keeping a high GPA in high school was quite an achievement. This alone would have made me a fan. I hope she's recovered in time for Nationals, so she can skate her best.

Olympia, thank you very much for your comment. I totally agree with you. I really admire American skaters because they do not have much of American skating federation's support like other country's skaters do. Financially, parents have to support the skater until he/she becomes a top skater. Even for thes skater, if something happens and their dream did not come true, they have to support their own future, therefore many of them keep on focusing on school work as well as skating. Debbie Thomas was a top skater and now became a doctor who helps unfortunate people in the world. I can not imagine any of the top skaters from other countries will be able to use their education to become some one to help others. They may be able to contribute to the world by using their status as the top skater in the world (which is great) but not using their educational knowledge.
I respect Rachael a lot and I really wish her the best.

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice

:thumbsup::thumbsup::agree::agree::clap:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
As Olympia mentioned - Paul Wylie was one of those "almosts" until "finally making it" in Albertville... when so many went so far as to say he didn't belong on the team at all.

Rudy Galindo was also one of those skaters that should have just "hung it up" before he "made it" in 1996.

The difference between those skaters and Flatt is obvious. They were both beautifully stylish skaters with special qualities but had alot of problems with consistency. Flatt is not a beautiful skater and has no special qualities, she was just a solid skater with alot of consistency at one point. She will not take some miracelous leap if she has a great competition, she has had many great competitions and they have taken her as far as they ever are going to.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
:laugh:

This actually makes me laugh, because these exact same words (more or less) had been used at around 2008 or so to describe Evan Lysacek. I even remember a poll on FSU that asked if Lysacek was going to end up as just the "next Michael Weiss" (i.e. won 2 world bronzes, then suffer a slow decline down the ranks and passed by better skaters) with the majority of FSUers voting yes (including me).

And look what Lysacek is today--Olympic and World Champion.

You arent seriously comparing Flatt to Lysacek though. Evan had excellent spins and footwork, he was one of the best in the World in the late 2000s in both areas. His jumps were alot more dynamic than Flatt's. And his presentation whether everyone likes it or not has alot more confidence, attack, speed, and energy. He also was a judges favorite who constantly got inflated scores throughout his career, unlike Flatt who is just the opposite.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
so says you, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

So says the judges too. She was the only skater who skated cleanly at Nationals 3 years in a row and only won the title once in the weakest era of U.S women ever. She was the only skater who almost skated cleanly at both her GPs and still lost to someone with more mistakes and less content. At the Olympics she skated the best she could have and came 7th.

So pray tell what is beautiful and special about Flatt's skating other than her consisency (which is now starting to desert her). The way she sticks her butt out while she trokes? :laugh: Saying Flatt is not a beautiful or in anyway special skater is just in my eyes is like telling someone that Irina Slutskaya doesnt have the artistry of Michelle Kwan or Janet Lynn is just in their eyes.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
using numbers to judge beauty always reminds me of the scene in Dead Poets Society when Robin Williams' character has the students rip out the introduction of their poetry text book because of the graphing/mathmatics of deciding what makes a poem great.

yes, this is a sport and it is judged, but just because Judge X says it's pretty doesn't mean it is.

I am not a fan of Flatt's skating, her style is not exciting to me, but I don't see her as an old hag either.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The point of competition is to impress judges and do well though. The judges apparently dont consider her beautiful and special, just solid and reliable. Scott Hamilton, Sandra Bezic, and other experts, dont consider her beautiful and special either. I dont, and most other fans dont. So you do? Fine, it wont mean anything to her potential for success though which will never be on par with Paul Wylie.

What is the merit in going on and on about skaters whose skating you don't like?

If Rachael does not win 2011 U.S. nationals. or if she never makes the world podium, then she did not win 2011 U.S. nationals or make the world podium. If she does, she does.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The point of competition is to impress judges and do well though. The judges apparently dont consider her beautiful and special, just solid and reliable. Scott Hamilton, Sandra Bezic, and other experts, dont consider her beautiful and special either. I dont, and most other fans dont. So you do? Fine, it wont mean anything to her potential for success though which will never be on par with Paul Wylie.

Judging from what you wrote, you seem to have already written Rachel off as an elite skater, though I have no idea how anyone can be arrogant enough to be able to determine other person's talent (but that's another story). I wonder if you really are "irritated" by Rachael becuase she "dare" defy your judgement and continue to skate. Gee, how dare she exercise her free will!

I have a simple solution. How about you simply not watch Rachael skate, if for whatever reason you believe that she "should quit skating?" That way, the rest of us can continue enjoy Rachel's vivacious presence and her skating.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Judging from what you wrote, you seem to have already written Rachel off as an elite skater, though I have no idea how anyone can be arrogant enough to be able to determine other person's talent (but that's another story).

What a ridiculous statement on your part. Anyone who watches skating and is knowledgable can see a skaters talent level after they have been on the scene as long as Flatt has, or atleast make their own assessment of it. My opinion that Flatt does not have the talent to be a star at the World level or to ever have any better results than she already has is not only mine but share by many experts in the sport, many other fans, and by the judges. If you dont like it too bad.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
...My opinion that Flatt does not have the talent to be a star at the World level or to ever have any better results than she already has is not only mine but share by many experts in the sport, many other fans, and by the judges...
So just because "you, many experts in the sport, many other fans, and by the judges who have opinions that Flatt does not have the talent to be a star at the World level or ever results than she already has" Rachael "should quit skating?"

Wow! I have a feeling this is not the first time someone informed you how judgemental and opinionated you sounded.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
At the Olympics she skated the best she could have and came 7th.

Me and a lot of other skaters (even some on the world stage) would love for our personal best skate to finish at least 7th at the Olympics.

Most of us will never get to the Olympics, let alone skate in the final flight and finish...7th.