Could Kwan in her prime beat a clean Yu Na Kim | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Could Kwan in her prime beat a clean Yu Na Kim

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Mirai is better than Czisny in spins... and Min-Jung Kwak tops them all as far as Biellman spin goes, IMHO.

But Yuna is simply incomparable...

If you must compare Yuna to someone, it would have to be Witt, in terms of artistry, the impact on the audience, sport and culture, etc.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
I'm not being defensive, I'm just asking the question. What is it that makes Mirai's spins better than Alissa's? I prefer Alissa's because of the way she accelerates at the end of the spin, but then again that is just an opinion. Of course she is no longer competing, but Sasha Cohen was also known for her spin positions.

I'm not being defensive, I'm just asking the question. What is it that makes Mirai's spins better than Alissa's? I prefer Alissa's because of the way she accelerates at the end of the spin, but then again that is just an opinion. Of course she is no longer competing, but Sasha Cohen was also known for her spin positions.

I'm also not trying to be argumentative, but I do agree that I prefer Alissa's spins to Mirai's. Not that Mirai's are chicken feed! And I certainly understand anyone who likes her spins better. I just get more of a "wow" feeling from Alissa's. For me as for you, Barbie, it's Alissa's acceleration, which seems almost magical to me.

Sasha did indeed have lovely spin positions. And let's not forget Lucinda Ruh, possibly the best ever on the ladies' side.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
I definitely agree with the Lucinda Ruh comment. Nobody spins like the Swiss, and I've said many times that Alissa reminds me of the Swiss in terms of her spinning abilities. I've always wanted to see her do side by side spins with Lambiel...now that would be gorgeous.

Mirai is better than Czisny in spins...

If you believe this, you are not looking at the skaters' feet. Czisny is the best in the world at centering over that sweet spot of the blade.

If you must compare Yuna to someone, it would have to be Witt, in terms of artistry, the impact on the audience, sport and culture, etc.

But the question was about skating, not cultural impact. It is certainly true that Kim's impact on Korea dwarfs Witt's influence in Germany, Henie's popularity in Norway, or anybody eles's ever. It is quite astonishing, really.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai is better than Czisny in spins... and Min-Jung Kwak tops them all as far as Biellman spin goes, IMHO.

But Yuna is simply incomparable...

No Alissa has better spins then Mirai. Not only has Mirai had trouble for some reason with her spins this year but just like the rest of her skating her spins seem slower. I wonder if her slower speed this year is because she's not in shape? Frank said that Mirai wasn't training hard until 3 weeks before Nationals.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
If we're talking in terms of layback spins (there aren't many compilations of sit spins on YouTube), between Caroline, Alissa, and Mirai, I think Alissa's is the best currently. Caroline's used to be the best, but as she's reworking everything else at the moment, she's probably been devoting her attention elsewhere.

1. Alissa Czisny - The video title says this is a level four spin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnLVhtkQDFI

2. Mirai Nagasu - This layback spin earned her a level four and +3 GOE across the board @ 2010 Worlds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l3frcHZLl0&t=02m02s
(Alissa's is definitely more centered.)

3. Caroline Zhang - 2006 Jr. GPF Gala/Ex(?) - It was so long ago, wasn't it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQhf7WSUsGE
(Here, she looks faster than the former two, but this was a little more than four years ago, so ... Eh.)

But of course, Lucinda Ruh > Everyone else. :p

1. 1999 Worlds - Short Program - She's like a spinning top, basically. As if Michelle, Mao, or Yuna could ever do a combination spin like that. Phbbt. :p:biggrin: Still love 'em though.
2. 1999 Worlds - Long Program - More spins anyone?
3. Oh, and uh ... Guinness World Record, anyone?

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
What disgusting marks for Mrs. Ruh. No credit from the judges for spinning that no women (other than maybe Kreig) has ever come close to in history. And her jumps in those programs were actually fairly competent too. Still weaker than the top but rest of her skating outside the jumps was all very strong as well.

Come to think of it there is no way she should have been below Kwan in the short program at those 99 Worlds. She had a way easier combo, but actually a harder solo triple, and landed her double axel which Kwan took an ugly fall on. Kwan's spins were at their all time weakest that season, and are showed even more in comparision to someone like Ruh. Of course with the name value of the two skaters and the difficulty protocal there was no way the judges would place her that high (or perhaps more accurately Kwan that low).

Pangtong, i agree about the marks for Ruh. She should have medaled. She was a breath of complete fresh air in skating, entirely her own person, and what she brought to skating was something that few other people could contribute. Thank goodness she was able to spend some time as a pro skater, and of course that we can now see her on YouTube. That second video link (thanks so much, Rain!) is a favorite of mine: her 1999 long program. She also uses a neglected and gorgeous piece of music, the harp concerto by Russian composer Reinhold Gliere. Skaters like Ruh, Czisny, and Lambiel have spoiled me rotten where spins are concerned. As Mathman noted earlier, you don't just look at the speed and the position of the spin (and Ruh's are phenomenal, her positions largely self-invented), you look at the standing leg. Good spinners are like a drill boring into the ice: they stay in one spot until they change position, and then maybe the push-off moves them a tiny sliver. Wowie zowie! This is skating at its best.

Snoopy

Rinkside
What disgusting marks for Mrs. Ruh. No credit from the judges for spinning that no women (other than maybe Kreig) has ever come close to in history.

One thing I like about the new judging system is that spins actually count for something now! Lucinda Ruh was one of my all-time favorites.